GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 35

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I think Arsenal currently are a bigger banter club than Liverpool were during the Hodgson era.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
I knew some grades would lead to some discussion.

Looking back, Depay's grade was too high. Definitely an F for all the things he brought, or didn't bring rather. But getting Depay was a no brainer at the time. Kid was a massive talent and not the character he now appears to be. He was a leader for PSV and could practically go to any of the big European sides, with PSV having already agreed on fees with PSG and Liverpool.

Blind: A bit biased at this one, but Blind was a solid acquisition. Was always dependable whenever he played, even out of position, and the team didn't need to break the bank to get him. Didn't lose money when they transferred him back to Ajax, either. Van Gaal's more to blame for not playing him properly; at CB paired with a more defensive partner. That's why he looked best with Eric Bailey I thought. At LB and MF he is not as effective.

Herrera; His grade should've been higher, especially since he's having a quality season, but he's often been a rotation player and is about to walk out of the door for nothing.

Some others could've been higher/lower, but my point stands.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
We’re not talking about Pogba’s ability, we’re talking about his leadership. You’re postulating that he’s a leader with ManU because he gave a locker room speech with the French team.

That’s silly.

From all accounts, Depay has been consistently fantastic with the Dutch team over the last year or so. That doesn’t make him so on his club team
Nope you didn't see the movie.
Please don't talk about a "speech" since it's not what we're talking about here.
I said he was a leader on United on the pitch, contrary to what is said here because he leads by example by producing even when thrown under the bus by his own coach.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
"Just to be clear", Depay has a whopping 8 goals in 39 games with Lyon (CL + L1).
Pogba has 15 goals in 41 games.
One is forward, the other is MF.

This comparison is at best utterly laughable.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don’t think a movie is a conclusive verdict on being a good leader or not. I guess it can help, but I wouldn’t say it is the end all.

I think Pogba for what it’s worth is a great player to have when things are going well and you’re winning. I don’t imagine he’s that great to have around when it’s not. I think that can be said about a lot of talismanic players.

That said, this isn’t the verdict in all of it as I’m not in the room and I think only the results and what his teammates say would be able to prove any reality. I think as far as United goes, he hasn’t put in his best effort at all times, and I don’t know if that strikes me as a great leader. His play also lends itself to a bit of a me first mentality; whether him blasting it from way out instead of passing or not always tracking his man because he spent energy on a fruitless run forward, I can’t say I always see the “leader” you might on the pitch. I would say that isn’t because I think he’s a bad leader, but maybe the feeling that he should be at a higher standard because he has so many talents and because he can be so dynamic.

Reactions: gary69

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
It's not a Hollywood movie.
It's 2 hours in the French lockerroom.

Pogba plays more for his teammates than Salah.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Pogba was always seen as a leader everywhere he's been. He was captain of every youth level he played.
His performance at the WC and in key games shows he steps up when it matters as well.
Pogba being flamed for this season is beyond ridiculous.
If there was one player who performed despite toxic environment and his coach attacking him repeatedly in the media it was him.
So some people can whine all they want facts are here to prove them wrong.
But that's all for the better he'll be gone and I'm sure United will be better off without him.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
The biggest problem is that everyone expects Pogba to do EVERYTHING. If he doesn’t do one thing then he gets criticized endlessly. The problem is that when Pogba isn’t on, United have no one to carry the load. Lindelof, Rashford, Shaw, Martial, and De Gea are the only ones that should play consistently for United. Lindelof and Shaw aren’t ever going to be anything more than solid squad players. Martial and Rashford are good no doubt but both are young and inconsistent. De Gea is a keeper. Even with France at the WC which everyone uses as defense for Pogba, he disappeared at times. It just wasn’t as big of a deal because they had Kante, Varane, Mbappe, Greizz, etc. to help him out. If United get someone like Bruno Fernandes, Rabiot, Sancho, Varane, just someone to take some of the load off Pogba, then they’ll be fine. I don’t understand why people criticize Pogba relentlessly when Salah, Firmino, Mbappe, Hazard, Ronaldo, Messi, Kane, Aguero, Sterling, etc. do the EXACT same thing. They just all have the support (not so much Hazard but they do have another world class player that isn’t a keeper) that Pogba doesn’t have.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Obviously he's not neutral or free to say whatever he wants, but Solskjaer has touched the leadership issue in his interview:

“I think you know as well that the world has changed,” pondered the Norwegian.
“So you don't have a Robbo, you don't have a Roy Keane, you don't have a Steve Bruce in our dressing room.
“But we're all different now,” he continued. “Society's different and we're all different in the way we lead."

Solskjaer: Leadership in football has changed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad