GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 34

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You’re the one saying this. You need to provide the evidence.
I did. It’s clearly defined in the rules of sport, specifically to what differentiates a “sport” from a “game”. Just because it doesn’t fit your narrative does not mean that is not the case.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I mean if Man U fans are so outraged by the Glazers it would be good if they were punished the 3 points. It would show that they want change more than the results.

I honestly don't care about the results. It has virtually no relevance to United given that they aren't catching City and their magic number for making the CL is 4 points.

Also if it meant the Glazers were gone I'd be fine with forfeiting every remaining match this season and a 30 point deduction this year.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Neither was in danger. It’s about putting measures in to make sure things don’t repeat. If you don’t want Fanta to throw bottles at a bus, punish them for throwing bottles at a bus. No one would argue about it.
Punish them by not having them attend. Not cancelling games

Reactions: Savant

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
West Ham and United had something similar at the very last game at Boleyn Ground. It was played on a Wednesday I believe. This game shouldnt be forfeited and it wont be as the tv networks would never allow it.

Reactions: Jussi

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I will freely admit I have done very little research on what occurs if there is a riot outside the stadium that damaged the stadium to the point that it is unsafe to host a game. However given that both teams, and the FA, agreed to a postponement instead of a forfeiture, I'd have to assume a forfeit is not required.

In regards to COVID stuff, how many games did Newcastle forfeit when their covid issues caused schedule nightmares for multiple clubs?

In the history of the PL, how many games have been forfeited?
And we were all calling for forfeit when the Newcastle/Villa stuff happened. Check the receipts.
The rule is that forfeit on table if basic standards are not met. Basic standards were not met and frankly it’s unfair to Liverpool to have to accommodate United in their schedule right now.

I don’t think a forfeit is going to happen and I do think the PR around United and Liverpool is so bad that no one is going to ask for it. But it absolutely should, by the rule happen.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I have no problem with the protest, I don’t even care that they somehow got onto the pitch since the stewards weren’t doing anything themselves. All the fans that broke in, even showed they left after they invaded the pitch to show their respect. However, invading the stands the second time and the clashes with the police after that is the most disrespectful portion of the entire thing. When I took sociology, we had a section about groups and they say that violent protests have statistically shown very limited effect on society in the future compared to peaceful protests (like the March on Washington in the 1960s). I don’t want LFC to make the CL, but United should absolutely forfeit the game as punishment and the trouble these hooligans caused. I don’t want to lead to speculation, but I guarantee that they had inside help from someone that knows the stadium protocols.

Reactions: stampedingviking

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I honestly don't care about the results. It has virtually no relevance to United given that they aren't catching City and their magic number for making the CL is 4 points.

Also if it meant the Glazers were gone I'd be fine with forfeiting every remaining match this season and a 30 point deduction this year.

Exactly.

It would show they really mean it about getting the Glazers out. I hope they do the same thing on the rescheduled date as well.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
And we were all calling for forfeit when the Newcastle/Villa stuff happened. Check the receipts.
The rule is that forfeit on table if basic standards are not met. Basic standards were not met and frankly it’s unfair to Liverpool to have to accommodate United in their schedule right now.

I don’t think a forfeit is going to happen and I do think the PR around United and Liverpool is so bad that no one is going to ask for it. But it absolutely should, by the rule happen.

You keep saying "the rule" when all you did was quote a wikipedia article about the general concept of forfeiture.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I have no problem with the protest, I don’t even care that they somehow got onto the pitch since the stewards weren’t doing anything themselves. All the fans that broke in, even showed they left after they invaded the pitch to show their respect. However, invading the stands the second time and the clashes with the police after that is the most disrespectful portion of the entire thing. When I took sociology, we had a section about groups and they say that violent protests have statistically shown very limited effect on society in the future compared to peaceful protests (like the March on Washington in the 1960s). I don’t want LFC to make the CL, but United should absolutely forfeit the game as punishment and the trouble these hooligans caused. I don’t want to lead to speculation, but I guarantee that they had inside help from someone that knows the stadium protocols.

They broke down a gate to get in and then smashed cameras and camera equipment. That's not showing respect.

Then "I don't want to lead to speculation, but let me blindly speculate about something"

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You keep saying "the rule" when all you did was quote a wikipedia article about the general concept of forfeiture.
It’s the definition of “sport” vs “game” it doesn’t matter if it’s for Wikipedia or not

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
They broke down a gate to get in and then smashed cameras and camera equipment. That's not showing respect.

Then "I don't want to lead to speculation, but let me blindly speculate about something"
I had to leave, so I didn’t see what happened after that. I just saw they invaded the pitch, had a good time, left, then invaded a second time, and needed to have crowd/riot control to get them out of the area.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
When I took sociology, we had a section about groups and they say that violent protests have statistically shown very limited effect on society in the future compared to peaceful protests (like the March on Washington in the 1960s).

As a historian, I will just say that this is why sociology is a far more limited discipline than history

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The intro section of a wikipedia article is fundamentally not a "rule" for anything
I mean you are the rule master so you much be right.

do some supplemental reading.

but anyway, why should Liverpool have to reschedule a game that they don’t have room for when they had nothing to do with it being postponed? Especially if it disadvantages them?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Liverpool fans complaining about the fact United did what their fans should have done and asking for a forfeit.

Fun times.
Liverpool fans could easily do this next week. It would be surprising. Surprised (?) that United fans didn’t do it against Roma midweek when it would have been more impactful.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I mean if Man U fans are so outraged by the Glazers it would be good if they were punished the 3 points. It would show that they want change more than the results.

This is actually probably a good point and they will probably do it again repeatedly until they achieve that.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

I actually just did a search for "forfeit" on this subforum. The only mentions of it are around the City situation saying that *if* their cases were related to a breach of protocol by City they should forfeit their cup and league games and a joke that Wolves might have to forfeit the season if Portugal had a bunch of positives after Ronaldo was positive.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I actually just did a search for "forfeit" on this subforum. The only mentions of it are around the City situation saying that *if* their cases were related to a breach of protocol by City they should forfeit their cup and league games and a joke that Wolves might have to forfeit the season if Portugal had a bunch of positives after Ronaldo was positive.
Definitely not what I said at the time but I don’t blame you for limiting your search based on vocabulary

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I mean you are the rule master so you much be right.

do some supplemental reading.

but anyway, why should Liverpool have to reschedule a game that they don’t have room for when they had nothing to do with it being postponed? Especially if it disadvantages them?

I'm enough of a rule master to know that the editorialized section of a wikipedia intro is, fundamentally, not a "rule"

They may not actually "have to reschedule" the game. They may have been able to push for a forfeit (I genuinely don't know). However instead they're grownups and see no reason to do that when there are alternatives available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad