GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 34

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think it will become a lot less rare, but I also don't think the answer is to bring in thousands of police officers. That's how we get a situation like Hillsborough where incompetence and malice leads to people dying.

The fact is that matchgoing fans have a great element of power and they need to be heard.
No, it’s not the answer. Though, there’s a middle ground between that and some old dudes in neon coats.

they got in quite easily. That shouldn’t happen

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I imagine a fair few of the protestors will be receiving knocks on the door soon, at least for a fine or something. They weren't exactly covering their faces or being smart about phones

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I imagine a fair few of the protestors will be receiving knocks on the door soon, at least for a fine or something. They weren't exactly covering their faces or being smart about phones
I don’t even understand this tbh. Like is there no work on Monday for these people? Lool

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I don’t even understand this tbh. Like is there no work on Monday for these people? Lool
To be fair, most of the protestors are young men, which tends to be the demographic most prone to un-/under-employment. But that is why a midday game (British time) tomorrow may have made sense, particularly given that fans aren't let it anyway. But I don't know if that would appeal to European/English broadcasters. Or even American broadcasters, given the size of this game.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If they're just using stewards, yeah, I would agree. But bring in some more local police. Set up more barricades.
If a large group of people can break into the Capitol of the United States while confirming the electoral college, a large group can easily break into a soccer stadium.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I forgot to mention that Arteta did the dumbest move he could ever make and play Luiz in a meaningless game allowing him to get injured. When we lose this Thursday, don't forget this mistake here lads.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
No. Even if they were, they’re going to want such a premium that basically Putin or China can buy them. That’s part of the logical disconnect of trying to have these owners all sell. They don’t want to for one, and two, the clubs are so massive at this stage, only a few people can buy them.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Are the Glazers even remotely interested in selling the club?

They're only interested in selling if they either
1.) get a massive overpayment: or
2.) stop making money.

I don’t see either of those happening any time soon. Especially because the way the Glazers have things structured, they can make a large amount of money even if United isn’t.

Reactions: Jussi

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
It's like printing money for them. Unfortunately I don't think they will sell unless you are seeing massive protests like yesterday consistently. You could end up in a situation where the fans will end up hurting their own team on purpose just because it will hurt the owners more.

And it is not likely you got hundreds of "good" potential new owners lined up. Pick your poison. Wasn't Bin Salman a potential new owner of United some time ago?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
They're only interested in selling if they either
1.) get a massive overpayment: or
2.) stop making money.

I don’t see either of those happening any time soon. Especially because the way the Glazers have things structured, they can make a large amount of money even if United isn’t.

I think the only way they agree to sell if some really rich people band together to buy the club. Like Mark Cuban (dream owner type) and Bill Gates or whoever. The price would be between 3-4 billion pounds/euros/dollars.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
It's like printing money for them. Unfortunately I don't think they will sell unless you are seeing massive protests like yesterday consistently. You could end up in a situation where the fans will end up hurting their own team on purpose just because it will hurt the owners more.

And it is not likely you got hundreds of "good" potential new owners lined up. Pick your poison. Wasn't Bin Salman a potential new owner of United some time ago?

Yea MBS was rumored to be looking at a bid. That would have been an entirely different tier of awful owner and it would have made me stop being a fan.

Reactions: Jussi

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I think most would prefer the Americans to MBS :laugh:

Ek, the Spotify guy, might be looking into buying Arsenal. Wouldn't be the worst from a "ethcial" stand point I guess (not that I would know if he has something hidden as well - I assume he doesn't). Not that a new owner would have to necessarily pay in cash. The Glazer's didn't, but if you want to avoid a similar situation with the club paying for the debt the new owner(s) have taken on - then you are not talking about many individuals that would be able to buy United. If United is worth somewhere around USD 4b - and the Glazer would be looking for let's say 6b. Then you are down to a couple of hundred people that would in theory be able to do so. Most of those wouldn't be interested and obviously few people with 6b of net wealth would spend it all on a football club.

Not really sure how this will work over the next 20 years. Even random dictatorships around the world and Russian billionaires kind of have to get tired of football clubs at some point. And you got to wonder if they look at the risks differently after having seen what happened yesterday.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Still no place to put the rescheduled game. If United don’t have to forfeit, which they still should, maybe they can play it 24 hours before the Europa League final, like when Liverpool had to play 24 hours before the Club World Cup in a different continent. There is no where to put this game.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
So West Ham should be punished for this?

Can't wait for the schedule to be even more packed.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Still no place to put the rescheduled game. If United don’t have to forfeit, which they still should, maybe they can play it 24 hours before the Europa League final, like when Liverpool had to play 24 hours before the Club World Cup in a different continent. There is no where to put this game.

Yea definitely makes sense saying it would be a "routine" verdict when it's literally never happened in English league football before.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yea definitely makes sense saying it would be a "routine" verdict when it's literally never happened in English league football before.
Its routine based on the universal definition of what defines a forfeit, regardless of whether you choose to accept it or not. The game was not able to be played. It’s not rocket science. And Palmer probably knows better than either of us if their are grounds for forfeit.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Its routine based on the universal definition of what defines a forfeit, regardless of whether you choose to accept it or not. The game was not able to be played. It’s not rocket science. And Palmer probably knows better than either of us if their are grounds for forfeit.

It's not routine based on what the definition of the word routine is and the fact that a forced forfeit has literally never happened in the history of English league football.

Reactions: stampedingviking

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad