GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 26

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I thought intent didn’t matter though. It’s not as if it was blasted into his arm from short distance.

Like if that hit Greenwoods hand instead and they scored after, I’d want that called back

I just feel like I’ve seen that sort of thing called before

For attackers there is zero interpretation. If it hits the hand/arm and leads to a goal or a goal scoring chance it’s a handball no matter where your arm is. Even if your arm is literally in a sling across your chest.

For defenders it’s a foul if it’s either intentional or if your arm is making your body unnaturally bigger.

At the beginning of the year the interpretation the PL was using defined unnaturally bigger as anything away from the body no matter what. They changed that after week 4 or 5 or whatever so that refs can consider if the arm is in a natural position given what the player is doing (running, jumping, lunging, etc)

The ref determined (IMO correctly) that, although the arm way away from the body, the defender was using his arm in a natural way (to shield/fend off the attacker) as opposed to simply making his frame bigger to “accidentally” block the ball. I think that’s a good call given that Greenwood was doing the identical thing and you’re taught to use your arms like that your entire life.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
this game hopefully proving to tuchel that chilwell can do better than alonso in a lwb role and then late game will do better if they go 4-4-4-2 to attack

Reactions: Blender

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad