GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 26

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I will say quite easily that EPL have the worst refering authorities in all pro sport (that I follow).

They have no consistency from game to game and week to week. Such stupid policies regarding hand ball, offside, red card and constant change of ruling. The VAR is a trainwreck and inconsistent from game to game. Not to mention no accountability or conformity committee.

They are basicaly a mafia with no direction.
NHL is way worse in my opinion. PL's biggest problem is how much of a disaster VAR implementation has been, and it doesn't at all follow how they said it would work.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I have watched and played hockey all my life and although they make dumb decisions usually refereing is quite predictable. Usually a couple borderline calls and some mised calls. They can call off a goal but usually they are quite consistent (i.e. contact with the keeper, after the whistle, high stick or inconclusive). I have rarely seen a referee with obvious bias or missing basic rules. Not to mention the action is quite fast and the puck is very small unlike football. (And they have 4 referees)

Also very importantly. The NHL rules are not as radical as football rules. A penalty decision is way more significant than any hockey offense and a red card even more so than a penalty. Basicaly a referee in football can change the outcome of a game with one decision.

In hockey the most important calls are goals called off. It happen they make bone head decision after review but never to the extent of the premier league.

In the EPL from game to game it's impossible to know or understand the calls.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I have watched and played hockey all my life and although they make dumb decisions usually refereing is quite predictable. Usually a couple borderline calls and some mised calls. They can call off a goal but usually they are quite consistent (i.e. contact with the keeper, after the whistle, high stick or inconclusive).

In the EPL from game to game it's impossible to know or understand the calls.
NHL referees are in no way consistent, that's hilarious. What is called as a penalty changes wildly from minute to minute, and even though I have a pretty good understanding of what the rules actually are I can't at all figure out how they are applied because there is no standard. The league is plagued by "game management" where referees think calling a fair game is awarding equal calls to both teams, rather than setting an even standard and making calls to it. The league is pretty close to unwatchable with how bad it has gotten.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
NHL referees are in no way consistent, that's hilarious. What is called as a penalty changes wildly from minute to minute, and even though I have a pretty good understanding of what the rules actually are I can't at all figure out how they are applied because there is no standard. The league is plagued by "game management" where referees think calling a fair game is awarding equal calls to both teams, rather than setting an even standard and making calls to it. The league is pretty close to unwatchable with how bad it has gotten.
I would say this apply quite easily to the EPL. Some referee are trigger happy with fouls other let go way more. It is impossible to understand or follow.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Refs are bad everywhere, have been since the dawn of time, will be until the end of time. That's basically the sum of all conversation about refs ever. I think it takes something like the replacement ref time in the NFL for people to have any appreciation at all for what they normally have.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I would say this apply quite easily to the EPL. Some referee are trigger happy with fouls other let go way more. It is impossible to understand or follow.
No see this is fine as long as the referee themselves is consistent in the game. Every referee should set a standard for calls early and keep to that standard as best possible through the entire game, that is the proper way to do it. That different referees have a varied interpretation is not a problem as long as they are consistent with themselves. The NHL barely has any referees that manage to accomplish this, if any at all.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
No see this is fine as long as the referee themselves is consistent in the game. Every referee should set a standard for calls early and keep to that standard as best possible through the entire game, that is the proper way to do it. That different referees have a varied interpretation is not a problem as long as they are consistent with themselves. The NHL barely has any referees that manage to accomplish this, if any at all.
I would say that is very problematic from game to game as they don't distribute evenly the referee assigned to each team. Not to mention some referee in the EPL more often than not usually side with the home side. In hockey there are never distinct advantage in playing home or away. I would even say based on history that home side in the NHL are in more disadvantage.

Also another huge factor, in hockey there are 82 games and in the EPL 38 games and no playoff. So all games are significantly more impactful than any hockey game other than the playoff.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
NHL is way worse in my opinion. PL's biggest problem is how much of a disaster VAR implementation has been, and it doesn't at all follow how they said it would work.
I don't agree at all honestly. I'd say the biggest issue overall is that they game manage and try to keep the PP opportunities close, but overall the calls are pretty consistent and usually aren't mind bogglingly stupid. The EPL literally has had a reffing decision controversy basically every week whether it's VAR or from the on field ref itself. The NHL has it's problems but I'd take that every day of the week over EPL reffing.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Not to mention some referee in the EPL more often than not usually side with the home side. In hockey there are never distinct advantage in playing home or away.

I don't understand what you're saying here. Basically all of the research done shows that home field advantage is significantly driven by officiating bias in all sports, including hockey.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I don't agree at all honestly. I'd say the biggest issue overall is that they game manage and try to keep the PP opportunities close, but overall the calls are pretty consistent and usually aren't mind bogglingly stupid. The EPL literally has had a reffing decision controversy basically every week whether it's VAR or from the on field ref itself. The NHL has it's problems but I'd take that every day of the week over EPL reffing.
I don't find calls in the NHL consistent at all. Like I was watching a game on Saturday and there was 2 blatant trips for one team in a shift not called followed by a stick lift which got called as a hook on the other team, all in the same shift. I see examples of this every game regularly through the game, the officiating is a joke. The PL mostly has VAR controversies, and the media hypes it up a lot which makes it seem more prominent. While in the NHL it's just accepted that this terrible quality of officiating is what we should expect, so no one freaks out.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't find calls in the NHL consistent at all. Like I was watching a game on Saturday and there was 2 blatant trips for one team in a shift not called followed by a stick lift which got called as a hook on the other team, all in the same shift. I see examples of this every game regularly through the game, the officiating is a joke. The PL mostly has VAR controversies, and the media hypes it up a lot which makes it seem more prominent. While in the NHL it's just accepted that this terrible quality of officiating is what we should expect, so no one freaks out.
And that's the stuff that I would say goes into game management, they miss certain stuff so one team doesn't have a huge PP advantage. Obviously still a big issue and I don't think the reffing in the NHL is great, but I just think the EPL refs are downright the worst. And while it's mostly VAR controversies there are still plenty of calls made on the field that are just downright unacceptable made on a weekly basis.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I don't understand what you're saying here. Basically all of the research done shows that home field advantage is significantly driven by officiating bias in all sports, including hockey.
Just look at the past few years playoff results. Never seen that many away teams winning their serie. Could be coincidence? But that is quite unexpected when so much is discussed about home advantage.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Just look at the past few years playoff results. Never seen that many away teams winning their serie. Could be coincidence? But that is quite unexpected when so much is discussed about home advantage.

Referees call fewer penalties against home teams. There’s an idea that much of it is essentially crown pressure (ie a human being is just naturally more inclined to make a call that doesn’t get them booed by 20k people), but that’s a large part of home ice advantage.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Southampton was 3rd on December 16th and 6th on January 4th. They are now in 14th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad