GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 25

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I would confidently call all three of them stonewall lol
This one, fine. Swear Ings got the ball first though. Kante and Werner also had two studs up challenges that could have been red cards today, but neither were booked ( look at minute 38 and 43). The other ones are absolutely not penalties most of the time.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Spurs: Werner has ball, Dier is flailing around on the ground chucking legs everywhere, takes out Werner. No contact with ball, takes out man. Obvious penalty, absurd play by Dier.

Sheffield: Werner pokes ball into space away from Ramsdale. Ramsdale takes out Werner. No contact with ball, takes out man. Obvious penalty.

Southampton: Mount has ball, pokes into space. Ings launches forwards tackle, takes out Mount. Obvious penalty.

Reactions: Blender

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
This one, fine. Swear Ings got the ball first though. Kante and Werner also had two studs up challenges that could have been red cards today, but neither were booked ( look at minute 38 and 43). The other ones are absolutely not penalties most of the time.
Eight_drinking_straws_(4273846588).jpg

Reactions: Blender and AB13

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
The Ramsdale one is simply Werner sticking his leg out to make contact with the goalie, after taking a bad touch. The Dier one is questionable.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
What a pathetic game, and follows the theme with Tuchel perfectly so far. Pretty strong defensively, dominate possession, generate almost nothing in attack.

At least when Conte played a 5-3-2 it was a vertical 5-3-2 where we stretched the pitch and tried to play direct when attacking. Usually David Luiz played the deep playmaker role in possession while Kante and Matic were used to win possession and transition them to counter-attacks.

Wee Baby Seamus

Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I think the wide forward thing really can work. Play a 4-3-3 with Mount or Havertz in the withdrawn role. Play a combination of Werner/CHO/Pulisic in the wide forward spots. Rely on Chilwell and James to provide the width.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Plays CHO way out of position in a way he has never played, blames CHO. f*** off.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He subbed him off after 20 mins? THat's gotta be a killer.
Yea about 30 minutes. He subbed him on at the half for Abraham and played him as a striker, and subbed him off 30 minutes later. In the post game press conference he said he subbed him off because he "didn't like his body language and attitude off the ball". What exactly do you expect from someone in 30 minutes in a position they have never played?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Yea about 30 minutes. He subbed him on at the half for Abraham and played him as a striker, and subbed him off 30 minutes later. In the post game press conference he said he subbed him off because he "didn't like his body language and attitude off the ball". What exactly do you expect from someone in 30 minutes in a position they have never played?

Honestly, I haven't seen it, nor do I know what was said or done in training, but I don't know how being played in an unusual position would excuse a bad attitude about it especially for a young player. When Van Gaal put Schweinsteiger in central midfield he could have asked for a transfer and said "that's not my position", instead he tried to make it work. And Schweinsteiger at that point was already an established international and star player.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Honestly, I haven't seen it, nor do I know what was said or done in training, but I don't know how being played in an unusual position would excuse a bad attitude about it especially for a young player. When Van Gaal put Schweinsteiger in central midfield he could have asked for a transfer and said "that's not my position", instead he tried to make it work. And Schweinsteiger at that point was already an established international and star player.
By "attitude" he meant his movement off the ball, not that he was pouting. Didn't think he was decisive enough, not making the right runs, not pressing the way he wanted, etc.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
What position did he put him in?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Chelsea's biggest problem to me seems to me that they look like a team built for the transition game but then rarely if ever actually play a transition game. Don't know if they have the players to methodically destroy opponents.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I think the obvious problem is that there's too many players brought in a short period of time. Many likely dont even speak the same language. Throw in an inexperienced coach with shabby defending and here you are. Tuchel is also not a man to lead you anywhere IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad