GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 21

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Why do I support Liverpool? This should be good.
We have had this conversation numerous times before with him and other clubs and why people support them and we arent having it again. Doesnt make you less of a fan if you support Chelsea/Arsenal/United/Liverpool than a smaller club. The irony of this is that is coming from a Yankees fan :laugh:.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
We have had this conversation numerous times before with him and other clubs and why people support them and we arent having it again. Doesnt make you less of a fan if you support Chelsea/Arsenal/United/Liverpool than a smaller club.
I was just curious he mentioned thick and thin, and also felt the need to criticize me saying 'Bobby' while he refers to West Ham as 'us' and seems to have a very self righteous view as to what constitutes a real fan. As though Liverpool have not struggled at all over the last 2 decades.

So I was just genuinely interested in what the West Ham 'fan' thought of my reasons.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I was just curious he mentioned thick and thin, and also felt the need to criticize me saying 'Bobby' while he refers to West Ham as 'us' and seems to have a very self righteous view as to what constitutes a real fan. As though Liverpool have not struggled at all over the last 2 decades.

So I was just genuinely interested in what the West Ham 'fan' thought of my reasons.
Going to be cause they are successful, just like he has attacked Chelsea and United fans in the past for liking them. Tired narrative by him. But yes, Liverpool has had their struggles the past 30 years or so.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
We have had this conversation numerous times before with him and other clubs and why people support them and we arent having it again. Doesnt make you less of a fan if you support Chelsea/Arsenal/United/Liverpool than a smaller club. The irony of this is that is coming from a Yankees fan :laugh:.
I mean, I’m not the mod here but I don’t think throwing around obviously derogatory terms like “Scouse Scum”, especially from Americans, makes you a better fan either.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Why do I support Liverpool? This should be good.
We all know why, brother.

I mean, I’m not the mod here but I don’t think throwing around obviously derogatory terms like “Scouse Scum”, especially from Americans, makes you a better fan either.
I didn't say I was a better fan.

I am a fan, period.

My ultimate problem with Liverpool/Chelsea/United/Arsenal/Big club "fans" are the fact that they give these teams money, but then turn their nose up on their local sides (won't support their local team). Hence further increasing the haves and have nots in the game.It only grows these big clubs at expense of everyone else.

Also choosing a club because they are always in the mix and won't get relegated just seems like a cowardly thing to do.

But I got no beef with fans like Robertmac, who supports his local side as well as Arsenal. If you support your local team, heck go for a bit of glory hunting. Although its hard to say that abotu Arsenal these days.

Also the Yankees thing makes no sense. i am from New York. Is he from liverpool? If so then I take it all back, really.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
That's pretty simplistic to say that's parking the bus. So how is Arsenal getting clean sheets against the non big teams?

No one is saying Holding is world class or anything like that. He's a solid defender that is better than average.
You clearly mentionned against the big teams and I explained why tactically.

You should take a real look at his personnal results also :
Holding has played 17 EPL games this year. His record is 7 wins, 4 draws, 6 losses. He has 8 clean sheets out of these 17 games.
Against the traditionnal top 6, he has 2 wins, 1 draw, 2 losses (2 clean sheets).
His record against non top 6 teams this year is 5 wins, 3 draws and 4 losses. He has 6 clean sheets ouf of those games.

Arsenal's record without Holding is 2 wins and 2 losses.

Sorry, but Holding simply has zero impact on Arsenal's record. He's average.

EDIT : I should add that Arsenal parking the bus is why they have the second best defense in the league.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015

Holding has played 17 EPL games this year. His record is 7 wins, 4 draws, 6 losses. He has 8 clean sheets out of these 17 games.
Against the traditionnal top 6, he has 2 wins, 1 draw, 2 losses (2 clean sheets).
His record against non top 6 teams this year is 5 wins, 3 draws and 4 losses. He has 6 clean sheets ouf of those games.

I just mentioned he's underrated. AB was posting his stats against the big 6.

If he was simply average Arsenal's goals against would be a lot worse.

I'll just end it off here because there will be some crybabies saying to take this to the Arsenal thread soon. Feel free to respond but really we will just go back and forth on this and I'll just say we agree to disagree.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
We all know why, brother.

I didn't say I was a better fan.

I am a fan, period.

My ultimate problem with Liverpool/Chelsea/United/Arsenal/Big club "fans" are the fact that they give these teams money, but then turn their nose up on their local sides (won't support their local team). Hence further increasing the haves and have nots in the game.It only grows these big clubs at expense of everyone else.

Also choosing a club because they are always in the mix and won't get relegated just seems like a cowardly thing to do.

But I got no beef with fans like Robertmac, who supports his local side as well as Arsenal. If you support your local team, heck go for a bit of glory hunting. Although its hard to say that abotu Arsenal these days.

Also the Yankees thing makes no sense. i am from New York. Is he from liverpool? If so then I take it all back, really.
I don't need you to take anything back. I just find the self-righteousness amusing. You're from New York but support West Ham while looking down your nose at anyone who supports a team more successful than West Ham (boo hoo you support a team in the top 2% of clubs instead of the top 1%, how difficult that must be for you). Meanwhile I was an Ottawa fury season ticket holder and support Atletico Ottawa while actually contributing at the grassroots level of soccer in my city but I can't be a real fan because...only you can have a legitimate reason.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I don't need you to take anything back. I just find the self-righteousness amusing. You're from New York but support West Ham while looking down your nose at anyone who supports a team more successful than West Ham (boo hoo you support a team in the top 2% of clubs instead of the top 1%, how difficult that must be for you). Meanwhile I was an Ottawa fury season ticket holder and support Atletico Ottawa while actually contributing at the grassroots level of soccer in my city but I can't be a real fan because...only you can have a legitimate reason.
Psst. I also financially support my local MLS club.

Maybe you should read it again. I don't look down on anyone. I think anyone who only supports big clubs while looking down on their local sides are bad for the game.

But if you support your local CPL team then fair play.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

EDIT : I should add that Arsenal parking the bus is why they have the second best defense in the league.
I don't think that's fair, Holding has done an admirably job this year considering how tough the season has been. Will Gabriel surpass him? Most definitely no questions asked. Should Arsenal upgrade on Holding? No questions asked. Just because those two questions are true, also doesn't mean Holding has been this terrible player. He's had his struggles, but has been more good than bad which we can't say about Bellerin, Pepe, and others on our club.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Let's hope his luck is changing. Those posts are the difference between mid-table and relegation fight.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I just mentioned he's underrated. AB was posting his stats against the big 6.

If he was simply average Arsenal's goals against would be a lot worse.

I'll just end it off here because there will be some crybabies saying to take this to the Arsenal thread soon. Feel free to respond but really we will just go back and forth on this and I'll just say we agree to disagree.
Yeah pretty much agree to disagree.
I feel like he's an average player and Arteta is playing a bunker defense style of football that fits his better characteristics.

Let's not imagine for one second that Arsenal being 2nd in defense and 12th in offense is because their defensemen are good and their fowards suck.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don't think that's fair, Holding has done an admirably job this year considering how tough the season has been. Will Gabriel surpass him? Most definitely no questions asked. Should Arsenal upgrade on Holding? No questions asked. Just because those two questions are true, also doesn't mean Holding has been this terrible player. He's had his struggles, but has been more good than bad which we can't say about Bellerin, Pepe, and others on our club.
Never said he was terrible. Just terribly average. Which Bellerin and Pepe aren't BTW.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Let's hope his luck is changing. Those posts are the difference between mid-table and relegation fight.

That draw against Fulham the other day might be haunting. I think Brighton are better than the bottom two and will finish above, really could have been much more comfortable with a win over Fulham.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I guess I have to post something. Any Ex-Chelsea mangers available?

Last time I saw Spurs this hopeless was away to Brighton last season. Credit to Brighton though. They never stop playing football.

Reactions: robertmac43

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Is Mourinho under legit pressure if they lose this? Can Levy sit there and accept a 9th/10th place finish (which seems like a real possibility at this point)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad