GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 21

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I guess I have to post something. Any Ex-Chelsea mangers available?

Last time I saw Spurs this hopeless was away to Brighton last season. Credit to Brighton though. They never stop playing football.

After watching this game I’m thinking Graham Potter would look pretty good with Spurs.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I’m watching the replay of Westham Liverpool (full game) and in the 13th minute, a commercial
WTF DAZNARE YOU TRYING TO LOSE CUSTOMERS
I think it happen when they release the game in their played games.

I was at 55th minute reviewing and my stream stopped and gave me another video. I came to the game and it put me back at the 55th minute.

I guess it was just a small glitch on their side and not commercial.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I guess I have to post something. Any Ex-Chelsea mangers available?

Last time I saw Spurs this hopeless was away to Brighton last season. Credit to Brighton though. They never stop playing football.
I hear certain nephew of former Spurs manager Harry Redknapp is available.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Spurs have played a lot of poor football chasing goals with Kane as well this season.

Obviously Kane is a big miss, but all teams will have injuries. Can't go full useless because of one injury.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Leeds is 4 points off Tottenham, Chelsea (Blues having played one more game) and Everton (one less game).
And still some people on HFBoards think attacking at all cost is a recipe for disaster.
Some people just don’t understand this:
Long term, negative football is - by nature - unsustainable and destructive to a team.
The attacking teams, even if they lose by more when they do, are better than their negative counterparts long term, because they get more repetition attacking. This is why it is wrong when Bielsa gets criticized for losing by large margins, because essentially it is a sign of why they are overperforming. Players will eventually get fed up of playing low risk defensive football, and the team will fall apart. This has happened to pragmatic managers like Mourinho everywhere they have gone. Simeone is the only defensive manager I can ever think of who has been successful for more than three years at the same club ( and is he even genuinely defensive? His teams like to play but are just very compact off the ball).

People also never acknowledge how risk encouragement is how you get players to explode way beyond their ceilings. Some examples of players exploding way past their perceived potential while playing an attack at all costs style of play are.
Ilicic under Gasperini
Fabregas under Wenger
Bamford under Bielsa
Many players reach their potential without risk-positive managers, but few ever exceed it without risk-positive managers.

Last edited:

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Spurs were always a mirage because Mourinho and his tactics belong in another era. They looked good at the beginning of the season because both Kane and Son were scoring on the couple of chances they would get every game which was completely unsustainable.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Some people just don’t understand this:
Long term, negative football is - by nature - unsustainable and destructive to a team.
The attacking teams, even if they lose by more when they do, are better than their negative counterparts long term, because they get more repetition attacking. This is why it is wrong when Bielsa gets criticized for losing by large margins, because essentially it is a sign of why they are overperforming. Players will eventually get fed up of playing low risk defensive football, and the team will fall apart. This has happened to pragmatic managers like Mourinho everywhere they have gone. Simeone is the only defensive manager I can ever think of who has been successful for more than three years at the same club ( and is he even genuinely defensive? His teams like to play but are just very compact off the ball).

People also never acknowledge how risk encouragement is how you get players to explode way beyond their ceilings. Some examples of players exploding way past their perceived potential while playing an attack at all costs style of play are.
Ilicic under Gasperini
Fabregas under Wenger
Bamford under Bielsa
Many players reach their potential without risk-positive managers, but few ever exceed it without risk-positive managers.
Most people really enjoy Leeds.

Fabregas under Wenger, what? So Fabregas was a product of Wenger then...interesting.

Reactions: les Habs

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Most people really enjoy Leeds.

Fabregas under Wenger, what? So Fabregas was a product of Wenger then...interesting.
Fabregas massively exceeded his perceived potential under Wenger, Wenger made him into a world class player. He could never really replicate his Arsenal performances at Barcelona under Pep or Chelsea under Mourinho, even though those should have been his prime years.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Cesc was already considered a top player in his age group when Arsenal poached him. To say he "massively exceeded his perceived potential" is nonsense.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Cesc was already considered a top player in his age group when Arsenal poached him. To say he "massively exceeded his perceived potential" is nonsense.

No one expected him to become nearly as good as he did, if I remember correctly. He was not considered a top talent at Barca, was he? There is also the fact that he was not nearly as good at Barca or Chelsea.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Also Cesc's 14/15 is one of the best seasons from a CM in the past decade lol
Not even close to the levels he hit in lets say 09/10 though. 15 goals and 15 assists in the league in only 27 games, as a number 8. Litteraly one of the best midfield seasons of all time. He was 22 years old.

He also had 27 goal contributions in 32 games in 07/08 as a 20 year old. He had 3 from his previous standards very poor seasons at Chelsea, and in his only good season (14/15) he had 22 goal contributions in 34 games ( in a similar role to the one he had at Arsenal). All numbers from transfermarkt.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
No one expected him to become nearly as good as he did, if I remember correctly. He was not considered a top talent at Barca, was he? There is also the fact that he was not nearly as good at Barca or Chelsea.
Not meant to be insulting at all but how long have you been following soccer for?

Fabregas was always a prodigious talent and hardly exceeded expectations. He disappointed if anything at Barcelona. I mean, he was voted best player at the u17 World Cup and the u17 Euro in consecutive years and I know many were upset that he left for Arsenal. Wenger certainly didn't elevate him well beyond his perceived talent or expectations. I do think he did very well under Wenger though and he played a part in helping Fabregas meet the level his talent gave him a chance at.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

He was very highly regarded. Before he even joined Arsenal he was joint top scorer at the U-17 World Championships where Spain were runners-up to Brazil. He was also voted Player of the Tournament.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Not meant to be insulting at all but how long have you been following soccer for?

Fabregas was always a prodigious talent and hardly exceeded expectations. He disappointed if anything at Barcelona. I mean, he was voted best player at the u17 World Cup and the u17 Euro in consecutive years and I know many were upset that he left for Arsenal. Wenger certainly didn't elevate him well beyond his perceived talent or expectations. I do think he did very well under Wenger though and he played a part in helping Fabregas meet the level his talent gave him a chance at.
I have followed Arsenal for as long as I remember. I remember when Fabregas signed and started playing for us, but I was very young at the time. I just did not remember how he was regerded before. I knew he was a big talent but not to which extent. Still seems like he overacheived massively at Arsenal considering how the rest of his career looked and that he left at a young age, before a players usual prime years. He was maybe the best midfielder in the world between 2008-2010 ( when he was 20-22) and never hit close to such levels again.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I have followed Arsenal for as long as I remember. I remember when Fabregas signed and started playing for us, but I was very young at the time. I just did not remember how he was regerded before. I knew he was a big talent but not to which extent. Still seems like he overacheived massively at Arsenal considering how the rest of his career looked and that he left at a young age, before a players usual prime years. He was maybe the best midfielder in the world between 2008-2010 ( when he was 20-22) and never hit close to such levels again.
lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad