GWT: PL Matchweek (mostly) 14

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Yeah, but our next 5 matches (not including the Carabao Cup match we should win) are more important. They're all very possible to win and if we do that, then this match won't much matter.
We played against a manager who has been in the job for two weeks. Against a team with no domestic wins at Old Trafford in almost 3 months. With Varane and Pogba out. This was undeniably a real 6 pointer and massive missed opportunity at creating separation. Now we have little room to slip up going forwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H and luiginb

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
We played against a manager who has been in the job for two weeks. Against a team with domestic wins at Old Trafford in almost 3 months. With Varane and Pogba out. This was undeniably a real 6 pointer and massive missed opportunity at creating separation. Now we have little room to slip up going forwards.
I guess, but it was also a team that was clearly just done with OGS. They recently drew Chelsea at Stamford Bridge and there's still real talent there. The question was (and will remain to be) tactics, fit, and motivation.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Game all came down to one team getting a clear and obvious penalty granted by VAR and the other did not. Felt like Arsenal was the better team, but made a couple dumb mistakes (Odegaard, not marking Ronaldo).

Oh well.

Game came down to United being the taller midget. And Fred being a man on a mission after almost killing (/sarcasm) de Gea there. No idea what penalty you're talking about there for Arsenal.

Arsenal would have won this easily if they didn't sit back. United are dreadful defending and good attacking, so maybe don't let them have the ball? Also Arteta's starting 11 was iffy at best. Not a game to start Tavares and Elneny. I feel United won in spite of playing Rashford and Sancho on their off wings, not because of that.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I guess, but it was also a team that was clearly just done with OGS. They recently drew Chelsea at Stamford Bridge and there's still real talent there. The question was (and will remain to be) tactics, fit, and motivation.

This was a very winnable game. Arsenal hasn't lost to them in the league for the past 3 seasons.

Game came down to United being the taller midget. And Fred being a man on a mission after almost killing (/sarcasm) de Gea there. No idea what penalty you're talking about there for Arsenal.

Arsenal would have won this easily if they didn't sit back. United are dreadful defending and good attacking, so maybe don't let them have the ball? Also Arteta's starting 11 was iffy at best. Not a game to start Tavares and Elneny. I feel United won in spite of playing Rashford and Sancho on their off wings, not because of that.

Tomi got his arm pulled by Maguire during a free kick that went into the box. Rarely seen those given but that's more to overall ref incompetence in general.

And I agree with what you're saying with the rest. Tavares had a good spell but need to put Tierney back in. Elneny shouldn't see any playing time.

And Partey and Auba can f*** off.

Reactions: S E P H

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I liked what I saw from Spurs today. A few individual mistakes, but there were some nice attacking ideas and Brentford couldn’t create much at all.

Special shoutout to Oliver Skipp, what a player.

First goal off a corner this year. It's a new day.

Skipp should have had an assist if Kane could remember how to finish.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Ya nothing stonewall about it. Im no fan of meathead but it was hardly stonewall.Would be willing to take another look at it.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
We played against a manager who has been in the job for two weeks. Against a team with domestic wins at Old Trafford in almost 3 months. With Varane and Pogba out. This was undeniably a real 6 pointer and massive missed opportunity at creating separation. Now we have little room to slip up going forwards.

I get the complaints because United were very vulnerable here, but they fired a god awful manager and they have a better team on paper. This was always going to be a very difficult match. They have more match winners too. That being said I think United have a lot of matches remaining where the situation is not exactly beneficial to them, and Arsenal still have a two point head start. I'm also very uncertain that Ronaldo fits into their new manager's tactics, in fact we all know he doesn't.

Of course Arsenal also needs to start scoring more goals. Is it a missed opportunity? Of course but it's not the end of the world.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
A lot of gunner fans on twitter lamenting a missed opportunity to move into the top four. Probably not going to happen but I’m more than happy if they finish top seven and head back to Europe next season

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Arsenal also got a gift of a goal against a goalie with his back turned

United created 2 goals from open play to Arsenal’s 1 if you don’t include that absurdity
The absurdity of a player getting his foot stepped on by his teammate? Blame De Gea for not standing up. And again, Arsenal still won the xG battle.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Watched the NBC highlights and they didn’t include the first half penalty claim so I can’t comment on that.

The rest was pretty straight forward. First goal was a joke, all de Gea had to do was roll over and he could have easily reached out to grab the ball. Instead he acted like he needed his leg amputated.

Poor defending by both teams on the goals from open play.

The pen United got was pretty stonewall.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Watched the NBC highlights and they didn’t include the first half penalty claim so I can’t comment on that.

The rest was pretty straight forward. First goal was a joke, all de Gea had to do was roll over and he could have easily reached out to grab the ball. Instead he acted like he needed his leg amputated.

Poor defending by both teams on the goals from open play.

The pen United got was pretty stonewall.
Well you understood everything and didn’t have to waste 90 mins lol.

Sarcasm aside it was a fun match. The right team won and there’s little to complain about

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The absurdity of a player getting his foot stepped on by his teammate? Blame De Gea for not standing up. And again, Arsenal still won the xG battle.
I'm still not over that. De Gea could've been laying on the ground crying and still saved had he been looking the right direction.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

Not saying the goal should have been disallowed, but clearly it was a fluke.

Arsenal didn't deserve 1 point. They let a mediocre United buildup run through their midfield.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Absolutely disgusting loss, I am completely and utterly appalled at what I just witnessed.

How the literal f*** do you look so damn bad after you score the first goal of the game? It's like the entire team then allowed United to do whatever they wanted and fully deserved to win this game.

It is legitimate rubbish. Partey and El Neny deserved to be bench after this loss, we just allowed a mid-table club claim all three points against us. Garbage to the nth degree.

Arteta, you bum, you fraud, you inconsistent hoe, how dare you set up those tactics and lose against a f***ing bloke who has three f***ing matches of experience. I am so pissed off

And Auba can f*** the right off, he can't even f***ing point away one metre shots now. I am so done with this club.

And another absolutely shambolic refereeing display once again, this atrocious corruption once again took a match between players in the fair realms of the game and corrupted it so England can get their glory boys to win the match. This is not just at the football level anymore, but I am thinking it is new reaching the political sector including the house of parliament. They might be secretly betting on the games to make money not only for them, but for the mobs who run rampant in Europe. I hate how Tomi gets pulled down to the ground with force to snap ligaments and it doesn't even go into VAR...yet the glory boys penalty claim gets a second look because of C O R R U P T I O N. It's all throughout England and in every sector, it is the only logical reason as to why one team keeps getting zero legitimate calls anymore...

Last edited:

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
......yea but how about those missed bicycle kicks amirite haha silly Ronaldo... :innocent:

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
The clear and obvious one where Maguire dragged down Tomiyasu by his arm on a set piece. If you missed that, I'm not sure you caught the game.
I missed that live but I think it's clear from the rest of my comment that I've seen the match, no?

Just saw it and you're right, that's a penalty for me.

Reactions: bluesfan94

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
They've been very reluctant to give penalties via VAR this season for "tussles" in the box. On Sunday an Everton player virtually had his shirt ripped off by a Brentford defender and there was no call.

I wouldn't have complained if that peno had been given against Maguire, but the way they've called them this season, it's been consistent. When it comes to grappling and holding and battling for position VAR have adopted the NHLs "let them play" approach

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020

By sheer luck. They were so comically outplayed in that game it's a miracle they weren't massacred at the half.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
While Arsenal have been generally playing well lately, I think Spurs and United will pull away from them eventually due to their managerial appointments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad