GWT: PL Matchweek Catch-Up into (mostly) MW18 & MW19

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
True for most teams winning. City got some convincing wins. Leicester some solid ones. Everton and Utd are winning, but typically with one goal.

I believe I predicted 5-6 teams within a shot of the title when there is handful of games left. Unless City just runs with it I think that will hold true (even if I expected Chelsea to be one of those teams - still could be, but looking less and less likely).

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Don't get me wrong, I think we'll have a bit of a step back eventually and we may not be setting the world on fire, but the "barely winning" games thing has always been odd to me. Other than a couple of spells, we dominated Fulham. The results, especially away from home, have become moreso about them doing consistently enough to win, rather than blow it and draw / lose late on. I've always been critical of United regardless of how their form is because there's so many aspects I feel we need to improve on, but at the end of the day, almost a calendar year unbeaten away in the prem, and 3 losses total in the league after Bruno arrived is quite a long stretch for just an implied fortunate run of barely getting results.

Good teams have to win close games. For all the games that City blows opponents out of the water, you have to win those close games to stand a chance and stay in the race against them. I guess I don't see it as much of a knock on a team, regardless of who. Especially with a race as close as it currently is and involving a number of teams.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Most teams that win titles do a bit of both. Utd is 6th in goal difference. Normally that gives you an indication of how sustainable your run is - even if of course points it what counts in the end.

Utd can clearly win the league now, but I would be surprised if they did so. Normally I would say very, but it is not like Liverpool, Spurs, Leicester etc. are looking that good. So if City are not winning - then who knows.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
City isnt scoring as much but they have the fewest goals allowed and have the best goal difference. They also have won 6 in a row, which no other team has done in the league this year. They should win their next 3 games, then it gets more tricky for them. I think they will win the league though. United could too also. But still more than half a season to go.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
With Pogba playing so well right now, United have 2 guys that break any game open. I don't think the rest of the 11 is good enough to stay 'title challenging' consistent for the remainder of the season though.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
City isnt scoring as much but they have the fewest goals allowed and have the best goal difference. They also have won 6 in a row, which no other team has done in the league this year. They should win their next 3 games, then it gets more tricky for them. I think they will win the league though. United could too also. But still more than half a season to go.
Yup... who was it I was arguing about their defence earlier this year lol. Anyway it’s theirs to lose Jesus needs some goals too. Kun is done. Pretty surprised they haven’t got a striker they can grab both League/CL if they did.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
City is in the type of form where they could absolutely run away with it. They’ve been routinely dominating games like no other team.

This hasn't changed over the last few seasons. They weren't getting the results last season that reflected their dominance but in the xstats they were still the best team. It's why I had them as favourites this season. Liverpool's results weren't sustainable even if they stayed healthy based on their on field play, imo.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah I'd be surprised if City don't win the league this year. Fortunately for everyone else Jesus is their main striker and he's not a champion level starter, at least not consistently, so hopefully he can cost them some games going forwards.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Jordan Henderson is injured.

Salah and Firmino on the bench today for Shaqiri and Origi. Rotation.

Origi should not be playing over Minamino but I guess Klopp someone wants a (theoretical) holdup guy against Burnley.

Raining cats and dogs today. Pouring.

Matip is starting, have an awful feeling he is going to get hurt again.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Liverpool... so predictable and non creative even with the change of personnel.

Can TAA just stop crossing the ball at every opportunities... he cannot fancy a shot or a dribble?

Update: And he did! Wow next time on target please.

Last edited:

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Might as well get a clock running since the last time Liverpool scored. Divock needs to score there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad