PL Matchweek 9

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Well considering everyone was hailing Arteta as the next Wenger and the guy to turn the club around, is now being called a horrible manager is pretty funny.

Also with the way you talk about the squad you think it’s better than 6th best. Auba is the best striker in the league, Ozil is the greatest playmaker in history, the best prospects in the world, the best CB signing of the year, and the best young CB in the world yet somehow it’s ALL on the manager? Ok.

I have never said any of those things besides Özil being the greatest playmaker of all time. Don’t take the piss and put words in other peoples mouths. I think this squad is sixth best at worst and I have said that for a long time.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I have never said any of those things besides Özil being the greatest playmaker of all time. Don’t take the piss and put words in other peoples mouths. I think this squad is sixth best at worst and I have said that for a long time.
You said Martinelli was one of the best prospects in world football. You have absolutely said Auba was the best striker in the league or at least a contender for it. Maybe it was SEPH who said the stuff about Gabriel, but I’m just basing my post off all the ridiculous stuff I’ve read on this board.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You’ve got to feel bad for Firmino. He is so snakebitten right now.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
You said Martinelli was one of the best prospects in world football. You have absolutely said Auba was the best striker in the league or at least a contender for it. Maybe it was SEPH who said the stuff about Gabriel, but I’m just basing my post off all the ridiculous stuff I’ve read on this board.

Martinelli is one of the best prospects in the world, do you genuinely not agree? That does not mean I said we have ”the best prospects in the world”. I said Auba was the best striker in September 2019, which was reasonable at the time considering he won the golden boot in 2019 and finished second in 2020. Gabriel was also a very good signing, don’t talk about him like he has not been one of the best CB signings. Besides, our defence has not exactly been an issue.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Martinelli is one of the best prospects in the world, do you genuinely not agree? That does not mean I said we have ”the best prospects in the world”. I said Auba was the best striker in September 2019, which was reasonable at the time considering he won the golden boot in 2019 and finished second in 2020. Gabriel was also a very good signing, don’t talk about him like he has not been one of the best CB signings. Besides, our defence has not exactly been an issue.
I meant prospect not prospects.

But the gist of what I’m getting at is somehow you have all this incredible talent and literally all of the problems lay at the managers feet? Their the only reason the team isn’t performing well?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
To be honest, Martinelli is one of the best prospects in the footballing world. I wouldn't go as far to say he's top 3 but top 10-15 is extremely reasonable. Additionally, just because I said Gabriel is one of the best signings of the summer doesn't mean he is one of the best defenders. Its just that he's been a steady and very solid signing which we can build upon for the future of our squad so we can reach the top 4 including trophies.

Reactions: AB13

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Simply the best. Half our team hurt? No problem.
I love how every year Leicester is supposed to beat LFC and then This happens.

this is the weirdest crisis ever. Should be top of the league with 22 points right now.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
That was the most uncertain I'd felt going into a match since City home a year ago. Statement performance for me. Still going to do the business with 1/4 of our back line.

I know he finally got his goal but the Firmino thing has concerned me for some time. If they haven't already, Edwards and Klopp should be figuring out their succession plan at striker - whether that's playing a front three of Mane - Salah - Jota or buying a true #9. I forget which game but didn't they use that front three with Firmino deeper recently?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
That was a really complete performance from Liverpool. Really nice to see that against a pretty strong Leicester side. I wish the injuries would stop piling up though.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I meant prospect not prospects.

But the gist of what I’m getting at is somehow you have all this incredible talent and literally all of the problems lay at the managers feet? Their the only reason the team isn’t performing well?

They are the main reason, yes. 75% of it at least. Emery was not nearly as much to blame as Arteta though, even though he underperformed. He had the same main problem as Arteta though, trying to coach every phase and scenario on the pitch, telling the players where to play every pass from the sidelines. Both managers have allowed no fluidity in the final third with their static, slow systems based on strict positioning, which deviates from the most simple principle in coaching an attack, letting the players rely on natural creative instincts. They were also both overly pragmatic with a squad who suits offensive play. This restricted us hugely.

Emery was sacked in November, one point off fifth after missing out on top 4 by one point in the season before despite having to start Mkhitaryan, Iwobi, Sokratis and Mustafi every week. Arteta has made us worse in almost every statistical category with a much better squad. If you think Arteta is not the main problem, you are not looking at the big picture. You say we have all of this talent? Our squad is the flirta, fifth or sixth best, that is quite poor. Never said our squad is good, but it is good enough to challenge for top 4.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Me sitting in my lounge chair after that game

7b929414c51ed518-600x338.png

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
They are the main reason, yes. 75% of it at least. Emery was not nearly as much to blame as Arteta though, even though he underperformed. He had the same main problem as Arteta though, trying to coach every phase and scenario on the pitch, telling the players where to play every pass from the sidelines. Both managers have allowed no fluidity in the final third with their static, slow systems based on strict positioning, which deviates from the most simple principle in coaching an attack, letting the players rely on natural creative instincts. They were also both overly pragmatic with a squad who suits offensive play. This restricted us hugely.

Emery was sacked in November, one point off fifth after missing out on top 4 by one point in the season before despite having to start Mkhitaryan, Iwobi, Sokratis and Mustafi every week. Arteta has made us worse in almost every statistical category with a much better squad. If you think Arteta is not the main problem, you are not looking at the big picture. You say we have all of this talent? Our squad is the flirta, fifth or sixth best, that is quite poor. Never said our squad is good, but it is good enough to challenge for top 4.
Arteta isn’t helping but I really think you’re overrating the overall ability of the squad in general. There’s only so much a manager can do with a limited squad.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Wait and see. If a new manager who even as much as understands the basics of coaching too level football comes in, I will enjoy going back to your stupid, ridiculous comments. Get off your high horse because Liverpool are in a period of relevance after 20 years.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Wait and see. If a new manager who even as much as understands the basics of coaching too level football comes in, I will enjoy going back to your stupid, ridiculous comments.
Look man I’m going through the same shit with United. You just gotta accept that you aren’t a powerhouse anymore and the club has done a bad job bringing in talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad