PL Matchweek 9

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Arteta isn’t helping but I really think you’re overrating the overall ability of the squad in general. There’s only so much a manager can do with a limited squad.

Maybe, we will see. Can’t know that until we get a reasonably competent manager. The squad is not great, but Leno, Gabriel, Saliba, Partey, Saka, Aubameyang is a good core, and with plenty of slightly above average players around them we have enough quality for a top 4 challenge.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Look man I’m going through the same shit with United. You just gotta accept that you aren’t a powerhouse anymore and the club has done a bad job bringing in talent.

Meant that towards someone else, I think it is obvious who is being ridiculous. You are being very reasonable. And Solskjaer is a pretty good coach at least.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Wait and see. If a new manager who even as much as understands the basics of coaching too level football comes in, I will enjoy going back to your stupid, ridiculous comments. Get off your high horse because Liverpool are in a period of relevance after 20 years.
Amazing

Reactions: Blender

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Have Arsenal been relevant in Europe? I mean, in the last couple decades? Just asking because I honestly don’t know. Ever?

As for the match that mattered, Klopp is letting a reporter have it about the schedule. He is right. It’s part of the deal, and the broadcasters have a lot of sway. But they’re killing these footballers. This season especially.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Have Arsenal been relevant in Europe? I mean, in the last couple decades? Just asking because I honestly don’t know. Ever?

As for the match that mattered, Klopp is letting a reporter have it about the schedule. He is right. It’s part of the deal, and the broadcasters have a lot of sway. But they’re killing these footballers. This season especially.
its disgraceful tbh. Im a coach I roll out with scrubs on meaningless games. Any chance I can tbh.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Klopp will take any opportunity to whine, my goodness. Be in less competitions if you want to play less. Throughout the years he's had opportunity to rotate way more than he has and even this year he has frontline players getting garbage time that could easily slot in week over week against most teams.

I thought Wilder's comments about the five sub arguments were pretty hilarious.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Klopp will take any opportunity to whine, my goodness. Be in less competitions if you want to play less.

I thought Wilder's comments about the five sub arguments were pretty hilarious.

I wasn't aware that Liverpool had any control over internationals. England played three internationals in one week and got two of our players hurt with this nonsense. We lost a third player for the whole season because of these meaningless games and training sessions. Switzerland also sent Shaqiri back injured. It's ridiculous.

Keita also didn't play for five weeks and his international manager made him play 90 minutes twice in a week. The people who run football need to do a better job of protecting the players. There's no real reason to play the full schedule this season anyway and it's all being jammed in regardless.

Reactions: PeteWorrell

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Liverpool will keep winning, injuries or not. They have the mentality to do so. But that doesn’t mean what Klopp is saying is wrong. They’re not considering player safety, they’re considering money. They don’t see butts in the seats, so broadcast money is the goal for the feds and the league. They can’t keep at this pace. Thank god the worthless internationals are over for a while.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I wasn't aware that Liverpool had any control over internationals. England played three internationals in one week and got two of our players hurt with this nonsense. We lost a third player for the whole season because of these meaningless games and training sessions. Switzerland also sent Shaqiri back injured. It's ridiculous.

Keita also didn't play for five weeks and his international manager made him play 90 minutes twice in a week. The people who run football need to do a better job of protecting the players. There's no real reason to play the full schedule this season anyway and it's all being jammed in regardless.
Did we really need another European competition that's not the Euros? That's really the kicker for me.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

The point being that the thing he can control, his squad rotation, he still more often than not puts out his strongest team. The only time he didn't was to some pub team in the Cup, against a Danish club in the CL, and against Arsenal in the Cup. There are opportunities to spell players here and there and he chooses not to do it in favor of putting out his strongest team (with injury-enforced changes of course). And we're not talking with U19 players, I'm talking about capable senior players. If he truly cared this much about player safety, wouldn't he be rotating? I'm not talking about putting out your second team, I'm talking about starting a Minamino for Mane or whomever and adjusting.

And the rotation thing isn't just this year. Klopp never seems to go that route since he's been in the PL.

The schedule isn't changing. Yes, it's too much, no argument there, but here we are. So what's he going to do? Keep whining in his pressers to generate some content or work to protect his players if that's his angle?

Reactions: Blender

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Liverpool will keep winning, injuries or not. They have the mentality to do so. But that doesn’t mean what Klopp is saying is wrong. They’re not considering player safety, they’re considering money. They don’t see butts in the seats, so broadcast money is the goal for the feds and the league. They can’t keep at this pace. Thank god the worthless internationals are over for a while.

He's also talking about all the players, not just our players. Unless you're happy with the skyrocketing amount of injuries in the league this year, I'm not seeing the issue with what he said. Not like we're the only team with injured players.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The point being that the thing he can control, his squad rotation, he still more often than not puts out his strongest team. The only time he didn't was to some pub team in the Cup, against a Danish club in the CL, and against Arsenal in the Cup. There are opportunities to spell players here and there and he chooses not to do it in favor of putting out his strongest team (with injury-enforced changes of course). And we're not talking with U19 players, I'm talking about capable senior players. If he truly cared this much about player safety, wouldn't he be rotating? I'm not talking about putting out your second team, I'm talking about starting a Minamino for Mane or whomever and adjusting.

Well, the injuries have completely defined the season at this point. On this international break alone Gomez, Henderson, Rhys Williams, Shaqiri, Alexander-Arnold all came back with injuries. I think you can see how someone would be royally pissed about this. We've also had other players hurt for the majority of the season at this point. I agree with what you're saying about Minamino, but Mane and Salah are the two players who never get hurt regardless of how many games are being played. It's everywhere else that we're having some problems.

And the rotation thing isn't just this year. Klopp never seems to go that route since he's been in the PL.

Considering that we've played at least one midfielder in defense for the entire season so far, and considering we've had three midfielders hurt for almost the entire season thus far, it's at least pertinent to this season that we can't rotate. Also, Klopp did rotate a lot in the last two seasons. Especially in midfield. Regardless, I think when you keep getting players who get injured or get covid from internationals, and then you rehab them and send them back to internationals before they can even play for their club, and they come back and get hurt? I think this happened to both Tsimkas and Keita. It seems grossly unfair to all the teams that this can happen.

The schedule isn't changing. Yes, it's too much, no argument there, but here we are. So what's he going to do? Keep whining in his pressers to generate some content or work to protect his players if that's his angle?

I think it's fair to keep complaining in the hopes that the season will be lengthened two or three weeks, or that any international breaks prior to the Euros will get cancelled.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Low key but Milner also had his best game of the season today. Nice to see him do well.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Well, the injuries have completely defined the season at this point. On this international break alone Gomez, Henderson, Rhys Williams, Shaqiri, Alexander-Arnold all came back with injuries. I think you can see how someone would be royally pissed about this. We've also had other players hurt for the majority of the season at this point. I agree with what you're saying about Minamino, but Mane and Salah are the two players who never get hurt regardless of how many games are being played. It's everywhere else that we're having some problems.

Considering that we've played at least one midfielder in defense for the entire season so far, and considering we've had three midfielders hurt for almost the entire season thus far, it's at least pertinent to this season that we can't rotate. Also, Klopp did rotate a lot in the last two seasons. Especially in midfield. Regardless, I think when you keep getting players who get injured or get covid from internationals, and then you rehab them and send them back to internationals before they can even play for their club, and they come back and get hurt? I think this happened to both Tsimkas and Keita. It seems grossly unfair to all the teams that this can happen.

I think it's fair to keep complaining in the hopes that the season will be lengthened two or three weeks, or that any international breaks prior to the Euros will get cancelled.
He has every right to be pissed about players coming back from internationals injured. Playing three internationals in a week is ridiculous and I get the frustration. Dean Ashton had his career ended with England and I'm still pissed about it.

I guess you're more hopeful than I am that the complaining will change anything. To me, the weekly moaning is just useless and he should be thinking more about how to make lemonade from these lemons.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Did we really need another European competition that's not the Euros? That's really the kicker for me.
I am fine with Nations League as a concept. In a normal, not condensed schedule, boring friendlies are just that, boring. However, some of the international matches on top of the already compounded schedule is what’s bonkers.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think it’s likely we see a movement to 5 subs at least. Match times probably won’t be changed. They’re a different matter, but it’s much easier to rotate and save players if you have 5 subs, not 3. 5 subs, you don’t have to save them till 60-65, knowing you might have a guy or two pull up lame. His point on that element is very strong.

I do agree they play the front 3 too much, but what should he do? Not play his best players in what’s a massive match? Sit them in CL and potentially have a close group (which has been a problem in the past). He’s clearly playing his attack because that’s what they’ve got. Defense is a patchwork unit, and he can’t keep midfielders fit to save his life. Play the front three, get a goal or two and he can rotate or cover some of the defensive issues. Offensively, some of those guys are able to conserve a bit of energy, they don’t press all the time, and there’s a greater chance he has guys who can come in for them. Who was he bringing in if Gini gets hurt?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
He also might be whining, and it certainly would benefit Liverpool if they made changes he is pushing for.

That said, if anyone really thinks Klopp doesn’t care about the health of all footballers, I’m not sure if you have watched or listened to him much. He wants to win, but whether it’s the Jesus bit or not, he wants to compete against the best at their best. And have players come through healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad