PL Matchweek 9

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
At absolute worst Grealish is a top-5 flopper (I'm stoked my insistence on using the word "flop" is starting to catch on...). Creating degrees of floppiness is kind of pointless, but it's a thing he does every game and he's undoubtedly a serial offender.

He's also a bit like a Dele Alli or a Zaha in that he's constantly moaning on the pitch as well.

Has anyone made a compilation of the worst tackles he sees every year?

When you are getting up to 3-4 free kicks in every single game it isn't just because you are falling over too easily. Of all the players falling over easily that have played in the PL Grealish became the most fouled player ever with 9 games left last season. In that context complaining about his behaviour is rather misplaced in my opinion.

Alli is a good example of a player in a completely different league to Grealish when it comes to moaning etc. And I'm a Spursfan. I would have said Kane was far worse than Grealish as well - even if Kane has cleaned up that part of his game somewhat (more like a normal forward in that regard now). Danny Rose. Much much worse than Grealish. There are a lot in my opinion.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Has anyone made a compilation of the worst tackles he sees every year?

When you are getting up to 3-4 free kicks in every single game it isn't just because you are falling over too easily. Of all the players falling over easily that have played in the PL Grealish became the most fouled player ever with 9 games left last season. In that context complaining about his behaviour is rather misplaced in my opinion.

Alli is a good example of a player in a completely different league to Grealish when it comes to moaning etc. And I'm a Spursfan. I would have said Kane was far worse than Grealish as well - even if Kane has cleaned up that part of his game somewhat (more like a normal forward in that regard now). Danny Rose. Much much worse than Grealish. There are a lot in my opinion.
We don't necessarily agree on this and that's fine, but I think the bolded lends more credence to my point of view than you'd care to admit. Unless you think he is some ungodly foul magnet, which I don't see.

I've acknowledged that he sees a ton of the ball with Villa and he has quick feet, which lends itself to defenders leaving a foot in, but I also think he helps things along a ton. All attackers do it, he's just not nearly as subtle. The whinging at the ref makes it more unpalatable.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Lol. Burnley did it. Now only West Brom and Sheffield United remain winless.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
We don't necessarily agree on this and that's fine, but I think the bolded lends more credence to my point of view than you'd care to admit. Unless you think he is some ungodly foul magnet, which I don't see.

I've acknowledged that he sees a ton of the ball with Villa and he has quick feet, which lends itself to defenders leaving a foot in, but I also think he helps things along a ton. All attackers do it, he's just not nearly as subtle. The whinging at the ref makes it more unpalatable.

If this was the 1970s and Grealish had been fouled more than PL players from the 60s I would have agreed. But we have seen a fair deal of players falling over easily for quite some years now. You just don´t out-do those without actually being fouled quite a bit.

Not claiming Grealish is a saint. Who are among the "dribblers" these days? I just don't agree that he should be singled out.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Wengers sons Walcott and Iwobi both starring this matchweek warms my nostalgic Arsenal heart.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
He is quite unique in his style. Not sure if I would call him a "flop king" as there are players far far far worse than him in terms of "flopping".

Most players that carry the ball as much as he does will also be fast players. More difficult to tackle them then. And a lot of good technical players will somewhat shy away from getting stuck in. Ginola is a good example in my opinion. Not lightning quick - certainly not in his later years - but so good at taking on players. A bit like Grealish, but he would also rarely go to where it hurts.

Grealish´s biggest weakness seems to be his haircut and tiny shin pads. That combination seems to annoy a lot of people.
Maybe it's different in the pros but everyone I played with in college and competitive soccer always wore tiny tiny shin pads. Me included.

Reactions: AB13

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Still crazy we got as much as we did for Iwobi! Really wish he would have worked out more for us!
40 million is a great price but he would actually have helped a little now, he is great at breaking lines and assisting the assister which we could use.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad