GWT: PL Matchweek 9

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I'm pretty sure Solsjaer has witnessed Martin Atkinson's refereeing on the pitch and knows that by his standards, that was a good game.

I think the real issue here is that people want a free kick for a slight touch on the calf of a player already falling down IN THE BLOODY ENGLISH PREMIER LEAGUE. The league that takes pride in tough, physical play! :facepalm:

So you're suggesting kicking a player in the leg isn't a foul?

I mean, I admit it's light. But let us not act like they're not regularly given.

I don't feel that's the reason Liverpool dropped 2 points. United played better, Liverpool didn't. I don't really care to belabor the issue, but the idea that kicking a player from behind isn't a foul is sheer revisionism, soft or no.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
LOL, talk about grasping at straws. While it is correct no one said his "foot" came down on the back of his leg, someone however did say "his leg came down on the achillies/back of calf area of Origi afterward, which would be why Origi is holding that leg." The secondary contact is the respective players' legs brushing and it's arguably as much Origi's leg touching Lindelof's if you watch the replay at say 1/4 speed. In fact at a slow speed the kick to the left leg is even more nominal looking, arguably a grazing as a result of a "kicking out" more than a kick, but that's not the point. Either way the contact is nowhere near the achilles which is the exact area that Origi grabs. Origi very clearly embellished taking it so far as to grab the wrong leg and grab the wrong part of the leg. Apparently doubling down on stupidity is easy.

Anyone can feel free to go to 5:32 of this clip. Change it to 1/4 speed and it's much easier to see:

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
So you're suggesting kicking a player in the leg isn't a foul?

I mean, I admit it's light. But let us not act like they're not regularly given.

I don't feel that's the reason Liverpool dropped 2 points. United played better, Liverpool didn't. I don't really care to belabor the issue, but the idea that kicking a player from behind isn't a foul is sheer revisionism, soft or no.

By English standards ie. what is commonly allowed on the pitch, that was very slight, made even lighter by the embellishment afterwards.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
By English standards ie. what is commonly allowed on the pitch, that was very slight, made even lighter by the embellishment afterwards.
Except Atkinson whistled many examples of “very slight” contact throughout the game, proven statistically, that a great majority of which favored the home team

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don't think he's the best referee. I also don't think yesterday was his best day. But I'm not sure I'd say he only made calls for one side.
Only is a strong word.

But it’s not often a side that has double the possession also has more than double the amount of fouls called on them. It’s also not very often a team that has half the possession goes 50 (!) minutes without committing a foul.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Between this, the van Dijk collision (hilarious how they stopped the play because James was...winded and Liverpool were on the counter) and his 'KO' with Wales I think someone needs to talk to James about recognizing the danger he's putting himself in at times. He won't last very long in the PL if he keeps going in against the biggest guys like that.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yea, Fabinho definitely could have gone easy, and maybe that's what James was thinking about happen, but James needs to understand that *especially* in a rivalry game an opponent is absolutely gonna leave something in that challenge if they have the chance. I admire the kid's heart and effort, but he's gotta use his head too.

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
Other than a couple yellow cards that United players should have received, I think the officiating is being made out to be worse than it was. VAR decisions were correct, in my opinion.

I will say that I agree with Klopp on his point about VAR. If officials are letting the play run because they have the safety of VAR to double-check, but then the insanely high VAR standard of 'clear and obvious error' is what it takes to over-turn an original decision, you really leave officials in a weird place.

Reactions: Mr Plow

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Other than a couple yellow cards that United players should have received, I think the officiating is being made out to be worse than it was. VAR decisions were correct, in my opinion.

I will say that I agree with Klopp on his point about VAR. If officials are letting the play run because they have the safety of VAR to double-check, but then the insanely high VAR standard of 'clear and obvious error' is what it takes to over-turn an original decision, you really leave officials in a weird place.
I think the easiest way to solve this is to have the ref communicate better with the VAR official

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Every time I've seen Pepe play he's made some absolutely incredible dribbles but when it comes time to play the last ball it's like a grenade in his feet.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Every time I've seen Pepe play he's made some absolutely incredible dribbles but when it comes time to play the last ball it's like a grenade in his feet.
There was a slight touch there but yeah, he needs to finish that. It seems like a mental thing now. Hopefully he gets one and the floodgates open

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Between this, the van Dijk collision (hilarious how they stopped the play because James was...winded and Liverpool were on the counter) and his 'KO' with Wales I think someone needs to talk to James about recognizing the danger he's putting himself in at times. He won't last very long in the PL if he keeps going in against the biggest guys like that.

That should've been 5 + game. Both feet in the air, buttending.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
How is that a yellow for diving and not a pen? Mike Dean should never ref our game ever again.Tripped him clearly, Stonewall pen!

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I actually think a simulation yellow is wrong for that but it's not a pen.

There was contact on the foot, but it was Saka kicking the foot of the defender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad