GWT: PL Matchweek 37

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I didn't even realize this. How is that even possible with the money they've spent?

They've made some cash selling hordes of mediocre players who were occupying their reserves or underage squads. But ultimately it's possible because they haven't had hardly any talent come up internally, have bought near finished products, and have never needed to worry about wages to keep them happy.

They've generally been able to hold onto aging assets without worry that their sell on value is declining like Bravo, Otamendi, Mangala, Delph, etc. Their fringe players at best and would have been sold by most other clubs to make money. City can just keep them around without worry.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yea but money is supposed to be not an issue for City. Maybe, just maybe, they've also been smart with their money since Pep arrived.

If money was no issue at all Man City would have had Sanchez and Van Dijk instead of Laporte and Mahrez.
They would have been a better team for it, however there's a difference between not agreeing with the valuation and 'money being an issue'. If you would take Laporte over van Dijk for the difference in their fees all the power to you.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
They would have been a better team for it, however there's a difference between not agreeing with the valuation and 'money being an issue'. If you would take Laporte over van Dijk for the difference in their fees all the power to you.

But we've just seen posters say Man City just hoard players. They could've done what Chelsea did in the early 2000s and just bought Van Dijk so he couldn't sign with Liverpool.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They didn't sign van Dijk because al-Mubarak believes only attackers should cost that much. I watched the Manchester City documentary series on Amazon Prime, it was pretty good. More people should. The way he questioned the signing was quite comical.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
They've generally been able to hold onto aging assets without worry that their sell on value is declining like Bravo, Otamendi, Mangala, Delph, etc. Their fringe players at best and would have been sold by most other clubs to make money. City can just keep them around without worry.

It's also the wages they put those guys on. Very hard to dump players to lesser clubs when they make so much.

We got Dzeko and Kolarov off of them, but even with those guys, they had to agree to eat wages.

It's something I think Prem clubs need to be weary of. It's all well and good that you're the richest league in the world, but unless you plan on only transferring players within your league, you've got at least somewhat match the salaries across Europe. Teams can't afford to take on super overpaid bench players you want to unload. The market shrinks massively once you pay these dudes, and in some cases, they just become unmovable assets because they know they can't make nearly the same cash elsewhere.

For example, it wouldn't surprise me if Bravo makes 100k plus/week. No one's gunna pick up a 36 year old backup on that kinda dough.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So hate the game. Not the player.

Yea but money is supposed to be not an issue for City. Maybe, just maybe, they've also been smart with their money since Pep arrived.

If money was no issue at all Man City would have had Sanchez and Van Dijk instead of Laporte and Mahrez.
No one is saying they arent smart with the money. The point is they can buy without selling

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
The wages are the thing that matters. I think any of the other big English clubs can spend £50-60M for a key player once in a while (two of them just choose not to). It's the wages they can't compete with.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
These are self-inflicted wounds. The fanbase is what people react to, not the team.

So you gotta ask yourself. Why are neutrals pushing for City?

I mean, neutrals are mostly pushing for City because it's like - if my team can't win then nobody should win.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
These are self-inflicted wounds. The fanbase is what people react to, not the team.

So you gotta ask yourself. Why are neutrals pushing for City?
Neutrals are pushing for City to win because they are resigned to it. Nothing changes if City wins. If Liverpool wins, a sleeping giant wakes up.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Neutrals are pushing for City to win because they are resigned to it. Nothing changes if City wins. If Liverpool wins, a sleeping giant wakes up.

That's definitely it. Breaking through the chains of referee bias, weather bias, rigged domestic and UEFA draws, Fergie and David Gill still controlling the FA, City having cast a spell on opponents, and every other trick the corrupt world could throw at them.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Keep telling yourself that.
It's completely true. Do you think any of the other top six teams in England want to see Liverpool being re-invigorated by winning another league title? Man City winning is like PSG winning in France. One dominant team does what it is supposed to do and everything else is status quo.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It's completely true. Do you think any of the other top six teams in England want to see Liverpool being re-invigorated by winning another league title? Man City winning is like PSG winning in France. One dominant team does what it is supposed to do and everything else is status quo.

So, in this scenario LFC is the equivalent to Lille? SO, yeah not minnows at all lol

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
That's definitely it. Breaking through the chains of referee bias, weather bias, rigged domestic and UEFA draws, Fergie and David Gill still controlling the FA, City having cast a spell on opponents, and every other trick the corrupt world could throw at them.
Ref bias - no, and this is not something I have complained about

Weather bias - no, and this is something no one liked when Klopp brought up.

Rigged draws - no, but are you saying City did not have easy draws this season?

Fergie/Gill - not going there, but how has Man Utd done since that axis left power?

City tricks - yes teams players differently against them.

Anything else?

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015

You're out of touch with how every neutral feels about Liverpool fans.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So, in this scenario LFC is the equivalent to Lille? SO, yeah not minnows at all lol
Who said they were minnows?

If you want to go with LFC as Lille because of being closer to first because of good management and scouting, along with selling and reinvesting well, sure.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You're out of touch with how every neutral feels about Liverpool fans.
I see neutral fans don't want LFC to win because they think the fans will be insufferable if they win, but that it such bologna. Are they not supposed to be happy if they win? I'm pretty sure everyone else would be too.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Come on...
PSG has financial domination over Ligue 1 hardly comparable to City on the EPL.
PSG's budget is more than the two biggest budgets TOGETHER (Lyon+Monaco).
PSG's budget is as much as the last THIRTEEN L1 budgets (basically, the whole L1 except Lyon, Monaco, OM, Lille, St Etienne and Bordeaux)
Monaco won the league two years ago. Nobody expected it and nobody expected anyone to beat PSG again for a while.

And frankly, Liverpool doesn't need to win the title to be scary to other EPL teams. It's ridiculous.

Personally, I'm neutral towards the title, but the behaviour of some Pool fans is scary. Of course, we're not treated to many City fans, so maybe there's that.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think everyone can see why I departed the discussion once I made my very specific point. I don't really agree with anything other than what I posted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad