GWT: PL Matchweek 37

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I wasn't going to say anything until after the CL Final assuming we made it, and now it'll come off as sour grapes, but I'll just go ahead and say it anyway. Besides, I've commented on this earlier in the season. Some of the takes of the Liverpool supporters this season make it difficult to not want City or anybody else to win. It was basically said here around Boxing Day, I think even before, that Liverpool had basically secured the title. The lead was 7 points with half the season left to play and essentially City, managed by Guardiola and coming off last season, were basically written off. Then weeks ago, before the Porto tie if I'm not mistaken, I was basically reading that Liverpool were going to win the CL. This was with how many other sides in the tournament still. I'm sure someone will come in and call it confidence, but it could be construed as arrogance or simply ignorance. Either way I think it's in part a lack of respect for the opponents. I don't know if it's Klopp's arrogance rubbing off or what, but it's really unbecoming to say the least. And maybe Liverpool will do a double, who knows, but it will be by the skin of their teeth and not because it was easily predictable.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I wasn't going to say anything until after the CL Final assuming we made it, and now it'll come off as sour grapes, but I'll just go ahead and say it anyway. Besides, I've commented on this earlier in the season. Some of the takes of the Liverpool supporters this season make it difficult to not want City or anybody else to win. It was basically said here around Boxing Day, I think even before, that Liverpool had basically secured the title. The lead was 7 points with half the season left to play and essentially City, managed by Guardiola and coming off last season, were basically written off.

I don't think anyone thought City would win 14 games in a row. There is an obvious assumption that every team will drop points at some point. I do think everyone would give full credit to them if they pulled it off.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I don't think anyone thought City would win 14 games in a row. There is an obvious assumption that every team will drop points at some point. I do think everyone would give full credit to them if they pulled it off.

Yeah, but even so there was the constant chatter of them dropping points as if Liverpool wouldn't do the same thing. And either way you don't write off a league that early in the season with only a seven point lead. I would never do that with Madrid for example.

I agree, I think they've already gotten credit, so I'll give credit where it's due there.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I don't see much credit given. The discussion that led to all this was it's unfair that Man City got to spend spend spend and it's easy for them to win.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I don't see much credit given. The discussion that led to all this was it's unfair that Man City got to spend spend spend and it's easy for them to win.

I could be mistaken, but I thought I read some posts about how impressive their run has been.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I could be mistaken, but I thought I read some posts about how impressive their run has been.

I have said that numerous times.

Even if they have financially cheated, it is near impossible to win that many games in a row with any squad. So full credit to their squad and to Pep for ensuring they don’t drop points.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Well, even if Manchester City wins the title, Liverpool have had the more impressive season. They are 1 point apart but the resources it took Manchester City to get that 1 point gap are massive.

Reactions: Merya

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I like the idea that somehow if Liverpool don't win the title they'll just fade back into mediocrity, but if they manage to win it they'll suddenly be a force again.

Like somehow Klopp is gonna decide everything was a failure and walk away or sell everyone if they don't win the title or something. Or if they somehow win it he's gonna do more to keep winning like there was something he was holding back.

It makes total sense.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I like the idea that somehow if Liverpool don't win the title they'll just fade back into mediocrity, but if they manage to win it they'll suddenly be a force again.

Like somehow Klopp is gonna decide everything was a failure and walk away or sell everyone if they don't win the title or something. Or if they somehow win it he's gonna do more to keep winning like there was something he was holding back.

It makes total sense.

Yeah, that's hilarious.

It's a matter of three things, first being how long he'll be there and second is how long it is until he loses his grasp on the game like Wenger. Third and maybe most importantly although we don't really know, is the structure that ensures Liverpool aren't making horrible signings. Managers at that level also don't lose it for quite a long time. I think Carlo is now 60 and had one dressing room revolt? So most importantly how long his contract is, and if the club can get him to sign another long contract I'd be elated.

The day he leaves is the day it's all over, but I can't imagine him leaving for a while when he came to the club in the state it was in unless he has an unstated career goal he's never mentioned. Every time they're in the Champions League knockouts he has a 100m net transfer budget if they want something. It's very hard to leave that.

Say Hey Kid

Gonna get some albums by The Status Quo
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
Chelsea's last EPL game is showing on one of the NBC channels. Their New England friendly is being shown on one of the Fox channels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad