GWT: PL Matchweek 37

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I can't believe I'm defending Liverpool. Alisson and VVD combined to cost about 10m more than they sold Coutinho for.

Fabinho is not the most expensive DM ever, nor is Keita the most expensive CM ever. Fabinho was cheaper than both Matic and Fred, and Keita was cheaper than Fred. And that ignores the fact that Pogba is a CM and cost more than both combined. And those aren't even buys of the Manchester club that's gone the most stupid with spending.

Reactions: YNWA14

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I can't believe I'm defending Liverpool. Alisson and VVD combined to cost about 10m more than they sold Coutinho for.

Fabinho is not the most expensive DM ever, nor is Keita the most expensive CM ever. Fabinho was cheaper than both Matic and Fred, and Keita was cheaper than Fred. And that ignore the fact that Pogba is a CM and cost more than both combined. And those aren't even buys of the Manchester club that's gone the most stupid with spending.
It's Liverpool vs. the world, but we get by with a little help from @hatterson (we don't have any friends).

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah to use a main board-ism, it's not even close. Keita, VVD, and Alisson are also the only buys Liverpool has ever made over 40m. City has nine in their current squad not counting anyone who flopped in the past.

Pep also made a dumbass comment to start this discussion off. To clarify, nobody at the club ever, except the owner who said that he bought Liverpool because he thought UEFA would enforce FFP, has ever said anything about another team spending money.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Pool shouldn't complain about the spending.
They have bought the most expensive defenseman and the most expensive keeper in less than 6 months. All the while signing possibly the most expensive DM ever (haven't checked that one) and the most expensive CM as well (same here). They're well on their way to be a huge spender.
Sure City spends more. But please... Have a little awareness of the world around.
When City has to sell one of their core players to finance incomings, and arent under investigations for breaching FFP I will stop talking about their financing.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

Fabinho is not the most expensive DM ever, nor is Keita the most expensive CM ever. Fabinho was cheaper than both Matic and Fred, and Keita was cheaper than Fred. And that ignores the fact that Pogba is a CM and cost more than both combined. And those aren't even buys of the Manchester club that's gone the most stupid with spending.
Yeah OK, as I said, I wasn't sure :D
Still, what it say?
They have 4 positions covered with some of the most expensive players ever, all in the last 18 months, and some fans dare to whine about City's spending?

That's rich.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
When City has to sell one of their core players to finance incomings, and arent under investigations for breaching FFP I will stop talking about their financing.
LOL.
That's like Pepsi complaining about Coca Cola.

Fun.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

When it hurts for them to sign a player who sucks ass like Mahrez and Mangala do, and when that keeps them from spending money the way that would happen to every other team in the league, we should stop talking about it.

Part of the reason Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, and United sign less players is because they've bought players who suck ass. City does not have that problem.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I mean, I get that people don't really like Liverpool here (and City is a shining beacon of light in the fight against darkness), but are we really comparing Liverpool to City in terms of spending? Even with no context it's completely ludicrous.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
One player worth 60m and a whole squad worth almost 750 million. Totally the same.

Both teams have spent to get the talent required to win trophies. So what exactly is the difference between city and LfC?

The response(s) was/were pretty expected.

That said if you think buying Alisson makes Liverpool comparable to City well......you're forgetting we also bought the most expensive defender in history, so.

See above and this has little to do with what Pep said btw. He said LFC ply without pressure because they are playing catch up and not expected to win the title.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Per transfermarkt, Fabinho cost more than Matic.
Fred cost more but he's a CM.
Pogba cost more than Keita, but Keita cost more than Fred.

So Fabinho most expensive DM ever, Keita second most after Pogba.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I mean, I get that people don't really like Liverpool here (and City is a shining beacon of light in the fight against darkness), but are we really comparing Liverpool to City in terms of spending? Even with no context it's completely ludicrous.
Seriously. Their reserves cost more than our starters.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Fabinho cost more than 45M€.
Hey, Granit Xhaka is the record defensive mid signing by virtue of having been bought for the same amount as Fabinho but 2 years earlier. Have to account for inflation.

Reactions: Evilo

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Per transfermarkt, Fabinho cost more than Matic.
Fred cost more but he's a CM.
Pogba cost more than Keita, but Keita cost more than Fred.

So Fabinho most expensive DM ever, Keita second most after Pogba.

Are you joking right now? Jorginho to name one was far more expensive than Fabinho. Coutinho was also playing CM when Barcelona bought him, de Bruyne is a CM as well.

Not really putting any effort to this because I find it ridiculous. I would certainly hope that when a dumb team spends over 100 million on Coutinho that the other team spend that money on some good players.

Both teams have spent to get the talent required to win trophies. So what exactly is the difference between city and LfC?

Liverpool didn't start shell companies so their owner could give as much money as they wanted to the club so they could buy all the players they wanted. For starters. They also changed dates on some of these payments to make them seem like they happened at a different time than they really did which is outright against the law.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
but also. City and Liverpool aren't remotely f***ing close in the money thing. Come on.

At least until the day writing yourself a check becomes acceptable in general accounting practices.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Really? They developed Mane, Salah, Allison, VVD. Sure Coutinho helped finance some of those moves but to act as if LFC are minnows is hilarious.
Who is acting like Liverpool are minnows? :laugh:

Also he never said they developed any of those players. He said they developed talent and sold them (Suarez, Coutinho, Sterling, etc.) to finance the buying of said players.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Are you joking right now?

Liverpool didn't start shell companies so their owner could give as much money as they wanted to the club so they could buy all the players they wanted. For starters.

What's stopping the owner from doing it?

Also Liverpool sacrificed two competitions to get where they are at now this year. Man City were competing on all fronts. Plus they had to play catch up and maintain their lead. They've had a lot more pressure than Liverpool this season.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Really? They developed Mane, Salah, Allison, VVD. Sure Coutinho helped finance some of those moves but to act as if LFC are minnows is hilarious.

Nobody said that, don't put words in people's mouths. The fact is that when other teams buy trash they have to suffer for it. City can just buy more players. Everyone should see the problem with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->