GWT: PL Matchweek 37

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Who is acting like Liverpool are minnows? :laugh:

Also he never said they developed any of those players. He said they developed talent and sold them to finance the buying of said players.

The attitude here seems to think that. with the who most expensive squad ever comment. Although it was directly from you and I suspect you didn't even read the article. Not sure anyone on here did tbh.

Coutinho and ???

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Most expensive starting XI :

Ronaldo (Juventus)-Neymar (PSG) -Mbappe (PSG)
Coutinho (Barca)-Pogba (United)
Fabinho (Pool)
Mendy (City) -VVD (Pool)-Laporte (City)-Walker (City)
Kepa (Chelsea)

Bench : Allison (Pool), Dembele (Barca), Bale (Real), Higuain (Juve), Lukaku (United), Suarez (Barca), Mahrez (City), Zidane (Real), KDB (City), James (Real), Di Maria (United), Lemar (Atletico), Keita (Pool), Fred (United), etc...

So yeah.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Nobody said that, don't put words in people's mouths. The fact is that when other teams buy trash they have to suffer for it. City can just buy more players. Everyone should see the problem with that.

Who exactly did they develop and finance their moves with other than Couts?

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Really? They developed Mane, Salah, Allison, VVD. Sure Coutinho helped finance some of those moves but to act as if LFC are minnows is hilarious.

Coutinho, Suarez, Sterling, Ibe, Solanke etc. So yes they've done some good business to help financing some big signings

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Who exactly did they develop and finance their moves with other than Couts?

They got their money entirely from a CL run and Coutinho. Regular transfer budget is around 40m, they made 70m from the CL and the rest is self explanatory.

Are you aware they spent nothing net for years? Or does that not matter anymore?They sold Sakho for 24m, Ibe for 15m, Benteke for 27m, Sterling for 50m, Ward for 12m.

Then they just sold Solanke for 19m (which is impossible to believe honestly) and Ings has a forced buy option for 20m. But people will still ask where they got their money when they buy someone for a lot this summer.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
They got their money entirely from a CL run and Coutinho. Regular transfer budget is around 40m, they made 70m from the CL and the rest is self explanatory.

Are you aware they spent nothing net for years? Or does that not matter anymore?They sold Sakho for 24m, Ibe for 15m, Benteke for 27m, Sterling for 50m, Ward for 12m.

Then they just sold Solanke for 19m (which is impossible to believe honestly) and Ings has a forced buy option for 20m. But people will still ask where they got their money when they buy someone for a lot this summer.
Like I said other teams also sell to spend.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
This is not going anywhere, and I caution any Liverpool fan against continuing this discussion lest it be used as yet another example of how insufferable Liverpool fans are and why other fans act insufferable toward them (this whole argument stemming from a little teasing after a comment a coach made to the media).

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Jorginho cost more than Fabinho, Xhaka cost the same 2 years earlier, and Matic cost .25m less a year earlier.

Pogba cost way more than Keita, de Jong has already transferred for significantly more, and Fred was only .9m less.

Does Liverpool have expensive players? Yes obviously. However their biggest buys have been financed by key sells (Suarez and Coutinho) and the rest aren't remotely out of line with others at their position. They've got a net spend of around 100m pounds since Klopp took over compared to nearly 400m for City and that also ignores that City was dramatically stronger than Liverpool at the time.

City essentially haven't sold anyone of value in....almost ever. Their outgoing transfer record is Shaun Wright-Phillips for 28.35m pounds in 05/06

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Jorginho cost more than Fabinho, Xhaka cost the same 2 years earlier, and Matic cost .25m less a year earlier.

Pogba cost way more than Keita, de Jong has already transferred for significantly more, and Fred was only .9m less.

Does Liverpool have expensive players? Yes obviously. However their biggest buys have been financed by key sells (Suarez and Coutinho) and the rest aren't remotely out of line with others at their position. They've got a net spend of around 100m pounds since Klopp took over compared to nearly 400m for City and that also ignores that City was dramatically stronger than Liverpool at the time.

City essentially haven't sold anyone of value in....almost ever. Their outgoing transfer record is Shaun Wright-Phillips for 28.35m pounds in 05/06
I didn't even realize this. How is that even possible with the money they've spent?

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
You guys developed Suarez? Yes, and other teams also have sold players to add to their funds...

No Liverpool didn't develop Suarez but it was at Liverpool he truly became world class, and Liverpool did a good profit.

Yes other teams have done it too but have Man City? Other than Ihenacho have they sold anyone with a decent profit recently?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
This is not going anywhere, and I caution any Liverpool fan against continuing this discussion lest it be used as yet another example of how insufferable Liverpool fans are and why other fans act insufferable toward them (this whole argument stemming from a little teasing after a comment a coach made to the media).

I don't mind Liverpool at all. Enjoy them quite a bit but you guys can be hilarious at times. Just as other fans.

City doesn't have to though and you know that. It is unfair to every other team, not just Liverpool.

Yes, because they rich rich. However, Liverpool are in no position to say its unfair when they can out spend 99% of teams.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Pretty ironic money is coming up when considering Man City considered Van Dijk too expensive to buy.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I didn't even realize this. How is that even possible with the money they've spent?

Because they keep the good ones and everyone they'd sell is absolute piss. Took them a long time to get rid of Nasri and Bony for example. They spent around 50m on those two. Mangala 42m, can't sell him at all either.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yes, because they rich rich. However, Liverpool are in no position to say its unfair when they can out spend 99% of teams.
I mean, plenty of teams have 'rich rich' owners. Not all of these teams are doing what City is doing.
Because they keep the good ones and everyone they'd sell is absolute piss. Took them a long time to get rid of Nasri and Bony for example. They spent around 50m on those two. Mangala 42m, can't sell him at all either.
No I understand that but I mean, how can they have spent what they have without having some kind of big transfers?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Pretty ironic money is coming up when considering Man City considered Van Dijk too expensive to buy.
Van Dijk was so expensive they settled for the 2nd most expensive CB transfer to get Laporte; and without selling anyone off their roster to do so. Liverpool sold Coutinho to finance Virgil, (and Alisson, and Shaqiri).

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
No Liverpool didn't develop Suarez but it was at Liverpool he truly became world class, and Liverpool did a good profit.

Yes other teams have done it too but have Man City? Other than Ihenacho have they sold anyone with a decent profit?
Suarez was most definitely a world class player at Ajax.

and yes they have depends how far we go back but Negredo, Diaz and Garcia to name a few.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I mean, plenty of teams have 'rich rich' owners. Not all of these teams are doing what City is doing.

No I understand that but I mean, how can they have spent what they have without having some kind of big transfers?

Sane will be the biggest. Not sure what else to say honestly. They pay players so much they don't want to leave. Der Spiegel gets into that in their articles as well. They pay them using the football organization instead of the club and used another company to pay the players image rights so they could take both those things off the wage bill (and therefore away from regulations). Dead serious.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Sane will be the biggest. Not sure what else to say honestly. They pay players so much they don't want to leave. Der Spiegel gets into that in their articles as well. They pay them using the football organization instead of the club and used another company to pay the players image rights so they could take both those things off the wage bill (and therefore away from regulations). Dead serious.

So hate the game. Not the player.

Van Dijk was so expensive they settled for the 2nd most expensive CB transfer to get Laporte; and without selling anyone off their roster to do so. Liverpool sold Coutinho to finance Virgil, (and Alisson, and Shaqiri).

Yea but money is supposed to be not an issue for City. Maybe, just maybe, they've also been smart with their money since Pep arrived.

If money was no issue at all Man City would have had Sanchez and Van Dijk instead of Laporte and Mahrez.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad