GWT: PL Matchweek 33 & 34

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
What a nice culture Mourinho has created at Spurs in just a few months. They went from a tight-knit group that wanted to play for the coach to guys fighting among themselves and/or with the coach. There is no longer that initial success anymore where he would win a couple of trophies before imploding. The fact that he keeps getting work at top dollars is insane and a perfect example of owners still not understanding that the game has changed and it has passed Mourinho by.
It was pretty bad with Poch. In 2019, IIRC they were a relegation team record wise.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
These two managers have both completely lost their way. The idea of Carlo's teams playing like this was once ludicrous.
I do not know if it is funny or sad that Everton are paying Ancelotti top dollar for this type of display. Might as well have gotten some English bloke in the mould of Sean Dyche that would have done the same job but for a lot less money.

It was pretty bad with Poch. In 2019, IIRC they were a relegation team record wise.
Pochettino never got the support needed in the transfer market. It is a joke that he could barely get any funds for players until he got fired. Levy then hires a dinosaur like Mourinho for top dollar. Sense it makes none.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
That's why Poch wanted to replace a bunch of players before that happened.

He did, which leads me to believe the problem is personnel (Eric Dier and co.). Of course having Mourinho doesn't help Lol.
Pochettino never got the support needed in the transfer market. It is a joke that he could barely get any funds for players until he got fired and Levy hires a dinosaur like Mourinho for top dollar.

I remember reading a tweet by Alasdair Gold (Very reputable Spurs reported) that Poch wanted Sessegnon, Ndombele, Lo Celso and Sessgnon prior to any of the transfers. He got all of the players he requested for actually.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
He did, which leads me to believe the problem is personnel (Eric Dier and co.). Of course having Mourinho doesn't help Lol.

I remember reading a tweet by Alasdair Gold (Very reputable Spurs reported) that Poch wanted Sessegnon, Ndombele, Lo Celso and Sessgnon prior to any of the transfers. He got all of the players he requested for actually.
Spurs spent a whole calendar year without a single transfer before that. He honestly performed miracles for many years with such a small squad.

Reactions: S E P H and Cassano

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Spurs spent a whole calendar year without a single transfer before that. He honestly performed miracles for many years with such a small squad.
Yeah that was ridiculous.

But they needed to do something since they were relegation form for a calendar year with the same manager Lol.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
Yeah that was ridiculous.

But they needed to do something since they were relegation form for a calendar year with the same manager Lol.
I have much more of a problem that he got fired in favour of Mourinho of all people. Maybe Pochettino's time at the club had ran out but it is ridiculous that ownership replaced an exciting young coach by a dinosaur. They clearly wanted to make a splash like Liverpool did with Klopp and City with Guardiola to show that they were serious. The thing is that those two are not only names; they are two of the most exciting and modern-thinking coaches in the game today. They just stopped at picking a recognizable name and that was it. Everton did the exact same thing with Ancelotti which had led to the sad display we saw today.

Reactions: Cassano

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
That's So Spursy
There are only two things that you need to know about Tottenham

1. Everything that happens to them is “Spursy“
2. If everything is Spursy, then nothing is Spursy

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Kante and Kovacic both out with minor injuries. Still no Jorginho in, with Mount, Gilmour, and Barkley starting in the midfield. I'm going to assume Barkley is playing the #10 spot with Mount and Gilmour behind him based on how Mount was used against Watford.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm convinced that Barkley would be world-class if he had a better feel for the game. His decision-making is just a split second too slow at critical times, but when he's on, he can have some great moments.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm convinced that Barkley would be world-class if he had a better feel for the game. His decision-making is just a split second too slow at critical times, but when he's on, he can have some great moments.
The key to Barkley is to not give him any time to make decisions I think. He's at his best when he's in a tight space and has to quickly make a play just based on his skill, but when he has time on the ball he tends to overrun with it, make bad passes, take hopeful shots, etc. Lampard should really be encouraging him to play in tight as much as possible instead of going for open space like most players do. :laugh:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The key to Barkley is to not give him any time to make decisions I think. He's at his best when he's in a tight space and has to quickly make a play just based on his skill, but when he has time on the ball he tends to overrun with it, make bad passes, take hopeful shots, etc. Lampard should really be encouraging him to play in tight as much as possible instead of going for open space like most players do. :laugh:
Like his goal against Watford, wasn't the greatest of 1st touches, but a top notch finish made up for it. He's physically capable of some great things. His assist on Giroud's goal is another example of when he's on.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Like his goal against Watford, wasn't the greatest of 1st touches, but a top notch finish made up for it. He's physically capable of some great things. His assist on Giroud's goal is another example of when he's on.
Yup, both are great examples of his abilities in tight spaces. With the Giroud assist he took that ball surrounded by 4 Watford players and had to quickly step forward and make a pass, and it was a great one. For the goal he was also in a crowd and had to quickly take a touch and then a shot. Where he really frustrates me is when he has time on the ball and often just wastes it, someone with that skill level shouldn't be overthinking so much.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I'm sure I'm not the first person to think or say this, but those blue tarps at Selhurst Park with red letters and white drop shadows are identical to the New York Rangers.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It’s weird to see how different the sentiment is toward Willian now versus early in the season and over the last two years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad