GWT: PL Matchweek 33 & 34

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
It’s weird to see how different the sentiment is toward Willian now versus early in the season and over the last two years.

Funny what a player having a sustained run of good form will do! Willian has always been frustrating and inconsistent, which has been the main sentiment. This is probably the longest run of consistently good form he's been in since 2015 or 2016.

Reactions: Blender

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It’s weird to see how different the sentiment is toward Willian now versus early in the season and over the last two years.
Not sure it's changed, he is what he always was, consistent in play and effort, just inconsistent on production. It's why he's played as a starter here for so long, but we've always been looking to upgrade that spot.

I wouldn't mind a return on a short-term deal, and if he leaves, he'll be a high quality pickup on a free move.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Funny what a player having a sustained run of good form will do! Willian has always been frustrating and inconsistent, which has been the main sentiment. This is probably the longest run of consistently good form he's been in since 2015 or 2016.
I think he’s always been pretty good, if a bit underrated.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Not limited to just these 2, but from an overall development standpoint this season, I've really been impressed by Mount and Pulisic on their overall games and how they work in Frank's system.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Gilmour looks not remotely ready for the senior game.
He's been fine today outside a few errors. He's young and is going to make mistakes, and if we're going to play him the worst thing we can do for his development is not give him chances to improve and learn from errors. Physically he needs to catch up to his skill level for sure, but the ability is there.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He's been fine today outside a few errors. He's young and is going to make mistakes, and if we're going to play him the worst thing we can do for his development is not give him chances to improve and learn from errors. Physically he needs to catch up to his skill level for sure, but the ability is there.
In my opinion the best thing you can do for his development is let him catch up physically before throwing him into the deep end.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That was nice, very nice. All 4 did well in that, Mount picking it up, Willian doing a bulk of the buildup, the play by Giroud back to Willian, and the finish.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Looked better pre-COVID. His ideas are good but execution is off. Think he’ll be fine.

Also aside from two bad passes don’t think he’s done bad today.
He's not even the only one to make bad passes, so this game is an odd one to call him out on. He was dreadful against Leicester for sure, but not today so far.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Like I said in another game, as a USMNT fan, it's amazing to watch him on a team that doesn't just stare at him waiting for something to happen.

And, yes I know I could've watched him at Dortmund, but I didn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad