GWT: PL Matchweek 21

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Hard to not look terrible when you have the likes of Fred and Jesse Lingard that are not big club calibre and Matic's corpse in your midfield.
I would agree in some sense. But plenty of sides in the EPL field less talented groups than United. There’s talent there. Albeit they aren’t playing to where they should

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I would disagree in Arsenal sitting back. They’re pressing and working harder in defense than I’ve seen in a while. Some players who are usually passengers have put in efforts beyond what they normally do

They’re pressing well when United have the ball in their defensive third, but once United have moved forward a bit, Arsenal have brought numbers back and overloaded the ball.

As usual United completely lacks the ability to move the ball side to side with anything remotely resembling urgency, so Arsenal is able to easily defend with numbers on the ball.

By sitting back I didn’t mean a low pressure 10 behind the ball thing, I just meant that they’re bringing numbers back to defend and are more than happy to let United pass it from the CBs to a FB on the half, and back again.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I would agree in some sense. But plenty of sides in the EPL field less talented groups than United. There’s talent there. Albeit they aren’t playing to where they should
Yea it's not like United are fielding the worst midfield in the league here. It's not good of course and not the quality a top club should have, but they need to set up and play to their strengths. That's where the failure really is, they are trying to rely on players that aren't good enough to do things they can't handle.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
They are using Lingard as a 10. There are few players that are as creatively bankrupt as him in the league and he is playing in an important creative position in attack. It is an abomination that a player that has not scored or assisted since forever been given such a role in a big club.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yea it's not like United are fielding the worst midfield in the league here. It's not good of course and not the quality a top club should have, but they need to set up and play to their strengths. That's where the failure really is, they are trying to rely on players that aren't good enough to do things they can't handle.

In terms of raw talent they're not the worst, but in terms of talent vs. what they're asked to do, the gap is larger than any other side. Granted part of that is because the best two midfielders are injured, but the main issue with why United is as pathetic as they are is due to a manager that has no idea how to use the talent he has.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
They are using Lingard as a 10. There are few players that are as creatively bankrupt as him in the league and he is playing in an important creative position in attack. It is an abomination that a player that has not scored or assisted since forever been given such a role in a big club.
Then don’t play him there. Hit balls over the top. Look to switch the side of play to create diagonals. Overload.

there’s other options out there. They get to the final third and if James isn’t running by a man or Rashford using pace, they have no ideas.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
In terms of raw talent they're not the worst, but in terms of talent vs. what they're asked to do, the gap is larger than any other side. Granted part of that is because the best two midfielders are injured, but the main issue with why United is as pathetic as they are is due to a manager that has no idea how to use the talent he has.
One of the two probably rather never play for United again if he had his wishes. The other is more worker than offensive player.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
With his pace and ability to drive the ball forward, I don't know why Greenwood hasn't been starting more lately.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Second half is much more what I expected from this game.

Sloppy and disjointed play from both sides and an absolute black hole of quality in the middle of the pitch.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
They have called much weaker penalties than that this season, so I honestly have no idea what the standard is at this point.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Absolutely superb, man of the match performance from Torriera. When he is used as a defensive midfielder like he has been under Arteta, we defend so much better, and it is a night and day difference.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I don't agree with that.
He's 22 so they also paid for some future development and years of his prime, but generally there aren't a ton of top end fullbacks defensively or offensively. Current tactics put a huge responsibility on them and guys who can do it reliably aren't easy to find.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad