GWT: PL Matchbox 20

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don’t really want to restart too much of the talent debate, but I have to think even with Luiz, most United fans would swap their backline for what Chelsea has. Throw in Kante and Hazard and I think it’s much closer. Sure, Pogba and DDG are elite, but there’s a lot more parts on Chelsea than they get credit for. Their problem is more that they’re rapidly aging and Hazard is most likely to leave at some point soon.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Auba completed 10 passes in the game, 6 of them from kick offs. Impressive stuff. He was also held to 10 completed passes in the first match up.
As much of the story of the backline of Arsenal was, their star striker going missing is getting no real press.

I thought their wingers were decent, but it was an awful showing for the striker

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don’t really want to restart too much of the talent debate, but I have to think even with Luiz, most United fans would swap their backline for what Chelsea has. Throw in Kante and Hazard and I think it’s much closer. Sure, Pogba and DDG are elite, but there’s a lot more parts on Chelsea than they get credit for. Their problem is more that they’re rapidly aging and Hazard is most likely to leave at some point soon.
Kante and Hazard are both better than anyone United have and then outside of Pogba there are a bunch of players better than those on United, and younger. Chelsea actually has a pretty good team, and while they've dropped some points it's not like they're having a bad season.

Last edited:

Fred McCarthy

Dec 26, 2018
It me ..Gritty!
Chelsea can't seem to get another past the Palace guard and Crystal Palace score a late equalizer giving Chelsea little time to score another . I love it when a plan comes together

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
The problem I have for Chelsea is that who’s going to be there in two years?

Kepa. Jorginho. Barkley?

Do they have the backing to do a 200-250 million overhaul? I mean, if you sell Kante to PSG/Madrid, and sell Hazard to Spain, you fund it in a single window. But do they take that plunge? It’s not likely that they could turn around and buy upper tier players right away, especially if they miss out on CL, and don’t have Hazard to play with. Does the ownership give Sarri the time and support to do what’s needed?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Good win against Palace, who have been a brick wall at home this season. 5 points up on Arsenal now, and only 2 points back of Tottenham and 1 point back of Manchester City.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
The problem I have for Chelsea is that who’s going to be there in two years?

Kepa. Jorginho. Barkley?

Do they have the backing to do a 200-250 million overhaul? I mean, if you sell Kante to PSG/Madrid, and sell Hazard to Spain, you fund it in a single window. But do they take that plunge? It’s not likely that they could turn around and buy upper tier players right away, especially if they miss out on CL, and don’t have Hazard to play with. Does the ownership give Sarri the time and support to do what’s needed?

Rudiger? Christensen? Azpilicueta? Loftus-Cheek? I also see no reason to think Kanté's departure is imminent, and Hazard has been pipped to leave every summer since he arrived. Hopefully a permanent deal is worked for Kovacic as well.

Your "aging" Chelsea thesis is overstated and essentially applies to just Willian, Pedro, and Luiz.

Reactions: Blender

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Mahrez is so good. Love watching him. City with a really nice play out of the back.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Mahrez is so good. Love watching him. City with a really nice play out of the back.

He's lots of fun and could've had a great goal - that said, for all that he's been great this year, you gotta wonder if that 60m would've been better spent on a backup/long-term replacement for Fernandinho.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Rudiger? Christensen? Azpilicueta? Loftus-Cheek? I also see no reason to think Kanté's departure is imminent, and Hazard has been pipped to leave every summer since he arrived. Hopefully a permanent deal is worked for Kovacic as well.

Your "aging" Chelsea thesis is overstated and essentially applies to just Willian, Pedro, and Luiz.
Alonso is also only 28. Hudson-Odoi I assume will be a more regular rotation player in 2 years when he's 19/20, if not sooner. They signed Emerson who is only 24, who I expect to play at some point. Even with that, I fully expect them to dip into the transfer market for a new player every year or two so they can rotate some older guys out.

I remember this same doom and gloom pronouncement about them like 3 years ago.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
If I’m liverpool, I’m loving how ederson is playing for city today. Playing under pressure like that may work against Southampton, but against slash, firmino, and mane, he’s gonna get burned.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad