Value of: PK Subban to the Leafs.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Before we get started I am aware of PK's year in NJ, and I am aware of what he makes but here is the thing, I don't believe we are seeing the real PK in NJ, even in his last year in Nashville he was on pace for 40 points had he played 82 games and yet he had a "down" year.

You then take him and put him on one of the worst teams in hockey and then act surprised when he doesn't produce at his normal.

It's not like he's 36 he's only 30 he's not done.

I think if you take him nd you put him on a team with as much talent as the Leafs have you'd see what PK REALLY has left.

If the Devils are embracing the rbuildd and they appear to be he should be available.
The catch is I don't think any team takes on the whole 9 million.

And yes Leafs CAN fit him in, they have the LTIR space with Ceci on LTIR with no core pieces to sign.
You sure about that?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Some teams in the league today are a big risk away from being able to win a cup.

Leafs have been top 3 in the division for a few years now - but let's be honest, top 3 is really more #3. And this year - they're slipping right now, it's not even for sure they make the playoffs yet. So as good of a core and base that they have - actually going all the way through to winning a cup may not seem that close.

PK is a big risk, a big gamble. If he tanks - his huge salary is a problem. He's also had history of not always getting along with teammates/coaches or causing locker room issues (which I personally think is BS - but we've all heard the stories), which could also be a concern.

Flipside is. Even in his down year in Nashville - he was their best player in the playoffs last year. He's been their best player in pretty much every playoff run, including the cup finals run (him and Rinne). He was great in every post season with Montreal. He's also an extremely passionate, proud player. Playing in his hometown, and a hockey market as huge as Toronto, would likely be a huge motivator for him.

It's a big gamble. But I could see one version of this story where Leafs acquire PK, and together they go on to win a cup. I doubt Leafs are willing to take on such a gamble though.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Why on earth would anyone be taking on PK freaking Subban?

A very, very bad defenseman nowadays. Not even mentioning his albatross of a contract.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Last I saw him play I couldn’t believe it was the same guy from just a few years ago.

Guy has dead eyes now. Like a caged lion for a decade.

Maybe being in a hockey first market would rejuvenate him a bit but there’s zero chance Id be the one swinging the deal.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
If whats holding him back is lack of interest and coming home will turn him into the player he used to be then it'd be interesting. But sounds too much like a fairy tale, I mean its the Leafs were talking about here right :laugh:

I see even the minimum of a 4.5 million cap hit at 50% being too much of a gamble of a guy whos not exactly known to be a defensively solid d man though. The price likely wouldnt be much to get him imo, but the cap space is too valuable.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Something must have happened to PK.

I mean the last couple seasons have been mediocre to bad.

Did he get an injury he never really quite recovered from or something.

I mean he looks so much slower. He has completely lost that flash he once had in spades.

No more coast to coast skating, he doesn't really bring up the puck like he used to.

I don't know what happened but that's a steep decline in almost 2 years.

Add the 9 million dollar contract and he's a tough sell to trade right now.

If NJ are to trade him and get anything of value there will need to be some major retention. Like 30% minimum.

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
I love pk but hes not helping anybody this season. He could be good for Toronto next year maybe Kap + for pk big risk big reward.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I was a huge fan or PK......but the high life and publicity kissing has reduced him to a bottom 6 nobody.

I'm not sure he wants to rebound or he cares that much more about the game. The Leafs could trade for him, but he's just as likely to be a distraction as he can be helpful.

Sadly.....he's rewriting his history into "don't do this to your hockey career".

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It has to be injuries and anyone taking PK Subban would be doing it as a salary dump. Feel bad for the guy, it always sucks when injuries take the joy, excitement and ability to play at a high level.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Before we get started I am aware of PK's year in NJ, and I am aware of what he makes but here is the thing, I don't believe we are seeing the real PK in NJ, even in his last year in Nashville he was on pace for 40 points had he played 82 games and yet he had a "down" year.

You then take him and put him on one of the worst teams in hockey and then act surprised when he doesn't produce at his normal.

I think if you take him nd you put him on a team with as much talent as the Leafs have you'd see what PK REALLY has left.

If the Devils are embracing the rbuildd and they appear to be he should be available.

And yes Leafs CAN fit him in, they have the LTIR space with Ceci on LTIR with no core pieces to sign.
No. Dont want PK. Would rather keep playing Lili and Sandin then bring PK in.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I wouldn't trade Ceci alone for Subban at 50% retained. Dont want that turd anywhere near my team

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Was dubas not in on pk in offseasons or last season...devils weren't willing to retain as much as leafs hoped?

Now hes not traded for kappy, ceci for sure but this season hasn't apparently helped pk's value so def buying low here if at all

I'd try it, I love pk, maybe he would kick this teams players butts for doing what their doing and he may be one of few rhd out there left with some value that isn't worth gold

rosscow

Apr 5, 2015
Subban @ 50% plus there 1st round pick this year for Ceci. And that's only if the leafs have a team to dump Subban too.

He has been a dumpster fire for the last 2 years making $9 mil. He is worthless as a player now. Hold on to him and hope he can recover or buy him out after next year.

Mikenusca

Mar 30, 2016

I thought the leafs needed defence. PK won’t provide anything Barrie isn’t already doing

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010

Wait till Seattle comes in, PK gets compliance bought out, and give him a 1 year show me deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad