Value of: PK Subban to the Leafs.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I think things are lining up for the Leafs to sign Pietrangelo

It's just odd that the Blues signed Faulk, and that AP hasn't signed an extension yet
I would love it, but i don't put a lot of hope in it...no idea how they would fit him in cap wise and still fill out a competitive D group.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Unfortunately for the Devils its the trade assets given in the Subban trade that are surprisingly looking bad at this point. Two likely Top 5 picks in the 2nd round is actually some real value - many assumed this year's 2nd would be a good deal farther down. If they get anything out of Davies on the 3rd pair the trade will be a win for Nashville regardless of the contract.

As to the contract, its a non issue for the Devils. The 9m is not going to keep them from any business in the next 2 years - and Subban will be one of the top 6 defenders they have next year so he makes the team better, even if not better enough to justify the salary.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Muzzin and Barrie could be gone too

Word is Muzzin probably stays and Barrie is gone. Our right side will be scary bad if something doesn't change..as always.

With the emergence of Sandin I think Dermott is the odd LHD out. He should probably be packaged with a forward for a RHD who plays like Muzzin, with term. Not seeing many solutions available at the moment.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Word is Muzzin probably stays and Barrie is gone. Our right side will be scary bad if something doesn't change..as always.

With the emergence of Sandin I think Dermott is the odd LHD out. He should probably be packaged with a forward for a RHD who plays like Muzzin, with term. Not seeing many solutions available at the moment.

I think it makes more sense to save the cap space by keeping Dermott, and letting Muzzin go

Then either re-sign Barrie, or go after Pietrangelo

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I think it makes more sense to save the cap space by keeping Dermott, and letting Muzzin go

Then either re-sign Barrie, or go after Pietrangelo
Surprising choice. Muzzin is our only physical D and our only guy with a cup back there, also Ontario born and probably our best defensively. Barrie is nice but will be crazy expensive. Petro is too much to hope for. I guess we'll see.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Surprising choice. Muzzin is our only physical D and our only guy with a cup back there, also Ontario born and probably our best defensively. Barrie is nice but will be crazy expensive. Petro is too much to hope for. I guess we'll see.

Muzzin's skillset is more easily replaceable by signing veterans to 1 year deals close to the league minimum

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Muzzin's skillset is more easily replaceable by signing veterans to 1 year deals close to the league minimum

Ouch. I'm afraid I disagree. I think you're selling him a little short. I can understand the perspective of going with cheaper options at LD ie Dermott (who will cost what next year?) and Sandin to shift the money right. It is because I think so highly of Muzzin and consider him our 2nd best D I feel so strongly about keeping him. Like I said, Ontario boy, Cup ring, physical, defensively able, decent size. He checks a lot of boxes.

I'm not sold on Barrie. He's good but not great defensively, notice a theme? What is our biggest problem? Goals against. Bringing those down is where our money should go, not offense. Muzzin is looking like 5mil, maybe a bit more. Barrie is looking like 8? 7? I'm not seeing us paying that for him. We're too tight against the Cap.

I respect your opinion but I don't think you get how important Muzzin is to our team.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Ouch. I'm afraid I disagree. I think you're selling him a little short. I can understand the perspective of going with cheaper options at LD ie Dermott (who will cost what next year?) and Sandin to shift the money right. It is because I think so highly of Muzzin and consider him our 2nd best D I feel so strongly about keeping him. Like I said, Ontario boy, Cup ring, physical, defensively able, decent size. He checks a lot of boxes.

I'm not sold on Barrie. He's good but not great defensively, notice a theme? What is our biggest problem? Goals against. Bringing those down is where our money should go, not offense. Muzzin is looking like 5mil, maybe a bit more. Barrie is looking like 8? 7? I'm not seeing us paying that for him. We're too tight against the Cap.

I respect your opinion but I don't think you get how important Muzzin is to our team.

The problem is that Muzzin will likely be looking for a long term deal in the 5 or 6 year range, I would think

Maybe he settles on 4 years, but I still wouldn't be comfortable locking him up on a 4 year deal at 5 million per

And the fact that he's our 2nd best D-man says more about the state of the D corps, than it does the quality of Muzzin's play

5 dollars to a homeless guy is really important, but that doesn't change the value of that $5

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
The problem is that Muzzin will likely be looking for a long term deal in the 5 or 6 year range, I would think

Maybe he settles on 4 years, but I still wouldn't be comfortable locking him up on a 4 year deal at 5 million per

And the fact that he's our 2nd best D-man says more about the state of the D corps, than it does the quality of Muzzin's play

5 dollars to a homeless guy is really important, but that doesn't change the value of that $5
I would rather sign Muzzin a 5x5 over taking Subban for 2 more seasons at 9 million.

Seriously, why is this still open?

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
I think things are lining up for the Leafs to sign Pietrangelo

It's just odd that the Blues signed Faulk, and that AP hasn't signed an extension yet

If you knew the player you would know he doesn't do contracts during the season. Also faulk has mostly played the left side jaybo and gunner are on the wrong side of thirty and we have to expose faulk or Dunn to expansion. But yeah petro is going to leafs so they will have 4 10mil + players and he will leave a contender for a pretender sounds about right

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Starts with NJ retaining 50% and wanting nothing substantial in return.

So unlikely
Good luck that was where Shero messed up that trade for P.K. he took all the money on he had them because they wanted MATT D. I don't see trade happening but if it did if you offer is nothing than u eat the salary....if we eat 50 percent than you deal for that to be eaten by Devils

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Ceci's contract is done at the end of the season...is Subban's?

again

I am not advocating the acquisition of Subban and even if I was next year is next year and truly has nothing to do with this year

now say it with me "therealkoho" does not want to acquire PK Subban at any price, this makes the point moot savvy?

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
again

I am not advocating the acquisition of Subban and even if I was next year is next year and truly has nothing to do with this year

now say it with me "therealkoho" does not want to acquire PK Subban at any price, this makes the point moot savvy?
So you're saying there's a chance?

:sarcasm:

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I feel like Subban’s past accomplishments are being underrated. He was adequate with the Predators and could return to form with a change of scenery. Especially since his problem is that he seems unmotivated and disengaged. I’d probably take a flyer on him at 50%. He’s a local guy with big game experience that could prove valuable. Of course, I’m still not willing to give up anything significant so the point is moot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->