Value of: PK Subban to the Leafs.

Steveei

Sep 10, 2012
He's only valuable at 50% retention, and theres no point of NJ doing that. Might aswell wait for a bounce back season and trade him then, there is no way he gets worse then how hes been playing this year.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
He's only valuable at 50% retention, and theres no point of NJ doing that. Might aswell wait for a bounce back season and trade him then, there is no way he gets worse then how hes been playing this year.

Sure there is. NJD don’t have any cap issues. If it nets a decent return there’s no reason not to. They’ll likely have to retain in the future even if they wait for a bounce back.

Reactions: Smitty426

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I would imagine the deal would look something like Kerfoot + Ceci + 2nd rd pick for Subban

RANGERS13ADL

Jan 26, 2020
Before we get started I am aware of PK's year in NJ, and I am aware of what he makes but here is the thing, I don't believe we are seeing the real PK in NJ, even in his last year in Nashville he was on pace for 40 points had he played 82 games and yet he had a "down" year.

You then take him and put him on one of the worst teams in hockey and then act surprised when he doesn't produce at his normal.

It's not like he's 36 he's only 30 he's not done.

I think if you take him nd you put him on a team with as much talent as the Leafs have you'd see what PK REALLY has left.

If the Devils are embracing the rbuildd and they appear to be he should be available.
The catch is I don't think any team takes on the whole 9 million.

And yes Leafs CAN fit him in, they have the LTIR space with Ceci on LTIR with no core pieces to sign.

If your goal is to only play offensively and score 7+ goals a game to win 7-6 all the time then you have the right idea with this thread.. unfortunately most of the strongest teams out there are built from the back out.. Freddy is a good start but with no defending D men in front of him you may as well trade him and get more offence. leafs take the least amount of penalties but can’t kill the few they take. That screams problem to me.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I have posted this before, so bear with me, but I always thought Subban would be perfect for Toronto. As a physical RD who can provide some offense, I thought he would be exactly what the Leafs needed. I am surprised so many Leaf fans are against him going to Toronto. On a non-hockey note, the Toronto media would adore him, and he would bask in the limelight.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
As others have said, he's only valuable on retention and he has that same polarizing playstyle as Gardiner/Barrie among others. Not exactly what we need

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
The problem with retention is that the devils would be the ones keeping half his salary for this season and the next two.

thats a lot of money to eat for picks and prospects...

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
The problem with retention is that the devils would be the ones keeping half his salary for this season and the next two.

thats a lot of money to eat for picks and prospects...

Devils will take some of your LTIR players to provide more cap flexibility. Maybe Rielly gets it done.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You don't think Seattle would take him? I'm sure they would.

I think Seattle would take him depending on what else would be available from the Devils. He would put people in the seats in the short term and that does have value to the hockey business side of things.

Subban really got screwed over on his NMC that would have kicked in if the Habs didn't trade him before July that year. Because he was traded before July, Preds were able to decline the NMC and Subban lost that in his deal. Something the players might want changed in the new CBA I am sure

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I think Seattle would take him depending on what else would be available from the Devils. He would put people in the seats in the short term and that does have value to the hockey business side of things.

Subban really got screwed over on his NMC that would have kicked in if the Habs didn't trade him before July that year. Because he was traded before July, Preds were able to decline the NMC and Subban lost that in his deal. Something the players might want changed in the new CBA I am sure

Does Subban really put fans in their seats anymore?

At one time he was the most interesting player on the ice, but these days...not so much.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Does Subban really put fans in their seats anymore?

At one time he was the most interesting player on the ice, but these days...not so much.

His name does bring attention and pretty sure the Devils expected the ticket sales to grow but yeah, he's been a disappointment. Fleury was also spared by the Pens and pre Vegas, he was not considered one of the best goalies. Pens choose Murray over Fleury remember... some of it had to do with cap reasons but most of the reason was they felt Murray could replace him due to how Fleury was trending.

I think Subban can rebound if he is in the right situation. At the very least, he is someone fans would connect with in Seattle. Play on the ice is meh these days but I do think his name would help ticket sales in the 1st year at least.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
His name does bring attention and pretty sure the Devils expected the ticket sales to grow but yeah, he's been a disappointment. Fleury was also spared by the Pens and pre Vegas, he was not considered one of the best goalies. Pens choose Murray over Fleury remember... some of it had to do with cap reasons but most of the reason was they felt Murray could replace him due to how Fleury was trending.

I think Subban can rebound if he is in the right situation. At the very least, he is someone fans would connect with in Seattle. Play on the ice is meh these days but I do think his name would help ticket sales in the 1st year at least.

Is "connecting with the fans" worth icing a 4 million dollar player for 9 million cap hit, though?

Winning endears fans a lot more than a character like Subban. I don't really think he has the marketability to overcome his poor play.

I'd like to see him try to rebuild his career on a contender, in a depth position. It's obvious he's not suited to be "the guy" on a struggling team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Is "connecting with the fans" worth icing a 4 million dollar player for 9 million cap hit, though?

Winning endears fans a lot more than a character like Subban. I don't really think he has the marketability to overcome his poor play.

I'd like to see him try to rebuild his career on a contender, in a depth position. It's obvious he's not suited to be "the guy" on a struggling team.

He would have 1 more season left. It's a measure of what else they can get from the Devils in the expansion draft vs what they could potentially get for Subban at the 22 deadline. Plus they will have to get to the cap floor somehow and that cap hit would help. However, the $6M July money in 2021 might be a problem for the new owners. Just looked at that.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Muzzin and Barrie could be gone too
And i still wouldn't want Subban. Barrie is probably gone, i think they re-sign Muzzin. But there isn't a scenario in which i would take Subban at his full contract, not even with only a 7th rounder in 2032 heading back.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
And i still wouldn't want Subban. Barrie is probably gone, i think they re-sign Muzzin. But there isn't a scenario in which i would take Subban at his full contract, not even with only a 7th rounder in 2032 heading back.

I think things are lining up for the Leafs to sign Pietrangelo

It's just odd that the Blues signed Faulk, and that AP hasn't signed an extension yet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->