Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish - Part XI (Rossi likes The Godfather Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
That's not what I'm saying at all. I should've clarified--I meant amnesty buyouts.

I'd move Kunitz, Sutter, Scuderi and Lovejoy at all costs. I think Sutter's value is high, so he'd likely get a decent return. I don't know how movable the other guys are though, but I'd take literally anything for them--7th round picks, "future considerations," etc.

I'm just saying you have to exhaust all options before even considering the normal buyout option, because we no longer have the luxury of the amnesty buyouts. If it comes to it, and you're unable to find one single deal throughout the league for those guys, you buy them out.

Gotcha. I agree with all of that. :nod:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That's not what I'm saying at all. I should've clarified--I meant amnesty buyouts.

I'd move Kunitz, Sutter, Scuderi and Lovejoy at all costs. I think Sutter's value is high, so he'd likely get a decent return. I don't know how movable the other guys are though, but I'd take literally anything for them--7th round picks, "future considerations," etc.

I'm just saying you have to exhaust all options before even considering the normal buyout option, because we no longer have the luxury of the amnesty buyouts. If it comes to it, and you're unable to find one single deal throughout the league for those guys, you buy them out.

JR can retain about 1m in salary with Scuderi and it will save them more on the cap than a buyout.

If he can't move Scuds after retaining 1m in salary, it's time to turn in his GM card.

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
If you buy out Scuderi he still counts against the cap.

If you can't trade him (or Kunitz) I think you employ the trick of treating them like crap and making them shuttle between the AHL and ECHL until they decide to retire.

Kunitz would actually be fun to watch in the ECHL. :laugh:

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Boy this organization has been horrible at hiring GM's. You got Craig Patrick, and that's about it.

Same with coaches. Very few good ones.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Boy this organization has been horrible at hiring GM's. You got Craig Patrick, and that's about it.

We've had good coaches. Unfortunately they were too mean for our country club, and had to be run out of town

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah craig patrick being the best gm in your team history is not much to brag about.

It's not?

The man was mostly responsible for putting together 3 SC winning teams. It's not his fault he had to deal with a team in and out of bankruptcy for the better part of a decade. That would wear any GM down.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
It's not?

The man was mostly responsible for putting together 3 SC winning teams. It's not his fault he had to deal with a team in and out of bankruptcy for the better part of a decade. That would wear any GM down.

He was.just so up.and down. He fleeced teams for guys like francis and also made the high risk moves like trading coffey that paid off.

He drafted well later but when the team had financial stability post lockout he signed aging vets and has beens.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Shero really gets a raw deal around here. He made his mistakes, but whenever critics are urged to make their list of "best GMs", their track record usually reveals a lot of chinks. He was very good at managing risk/reward on the whole.

I'd take him back in a hearbeat.

JQR

Clearly it's Lovejoy
Jan 25, 2012
Make it stop . . .

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...aking-slump-for-Penguins/stories/201503300045

Kunitz finally scored a gimme goal and made a good pass and Sid said he's a guy you want in the playoffs, so don't worry about Kunitz.

**** off Cook. This is as big a crock as Rossi's iron deficiency article.

Strike that, it's worse . . . Rossi at least admitted Kunitz sucks and was trying to rationalize it.

That article is from 3/30? Man, you must have some serious jet lag. :laugh:

Edit: I'm an idiot and quoted the first page. **** it, it stays. :laugh:

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He was.just so up.and down. He fleeced teams for guys like francis and also made the high risk moves like trading coffey that paid off.

He drafted well later but when the team had financial stability post lockout he signed aging vets and has beens.

He was never a major player in FA because his hands were tied financially throughout most of the 90s and early 2000s. When the lockout was over, he signed Gonchar who was a huge part of that cup team.

He signed Recchi who went on to win another cup with Carolina. The only washed up vet he signed was Leclair.

We can't slap him on the back for picking Crosby and Malkin, but he made the move to trade up and get MAF. He drafted Orpik, Scuds, Talbot, Malone and Letang. He drafted Whitney who turned into Kunitz. He put together most of the key pieces for those cup runs and the third cup. Shero used mostly all of the assets CP stockpiled for him to round out those cup teams.

He also drafted GoGo, who turned into Neal, who is now Hornqvist.

CP was a hell of a GM that kind of got ****ed over by this org that burned him out. I also think history will be kind to Shero when all is said and done, especially if this 2012 draft works out well. I just don't think Shero can hold a candle to CP. CP was a pretty legendary GM.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Shero really gets a raw deal around here. He made his mistakes, but whenever critics are urged to make their list of "best GMs", their track record usually reveals a lot of chinks. He was very good at managing risk/reward on the whole.

I'd take him back in a hearbeat.

He also signed a 34 year old Scuderi to a 4 year deal, a 33 year old Kunitz to a 3 year deal, and a 34 year old Dupuis to a 4 year deal. He re-signed Craig Adams twice, went out and got Tanner Glass. Decided instead of putting his nose to the grindstone and fixing things, to go the bargain-bin route and went after guys like Comrie, Cal O'Reilly, Kobasew, Pyatt, Pesonen. He refused to even entertain the thought of preemptively moving Staal, even after it was plain as day he was on his way out, and waited until the 11th hour to get a return for him--from the one team he would re-sign with. He allowed his best pal Bylsma to stick around and misuse players and prospects for years, all the while failing miserably year after year. He inherited a Cup contender and then did his best to take this organization and drive it into the ground, leaving it a flaming pile of wreckage for the next guy--who also turned out to be a bumbling idiot, surrounded by the same cronies Shero sounded himself with.

Shero wasn't Mike Milbury, but he did a Hell of a lot more harm than good in his time here. The stink of the Shero/Bylsma era is gonna linger on for a while.

:laugh: Nah, no thanks. We have to do a Hell of a lot better than Shero or JR.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
He was never a major player in FA because his hands were tied financially throughout most of the 90s and early 2000s. When the lockout was over, he signed Gonchar who was a huge part of that cup team.

He signed Recchi who went on to win another cup with Carolina. The only washed up vet he signed was Leclair.

We can't slap him on the back for picking Crosby and Malkin, but he made the move to trade up and get MAF. He drafted Orpik, Scuds, Talbot, Malone and Letang. He drafted Whitney who turned into Kunitz. He put together most of the key pieces for those cup runs and the third cup. Shero used mostly all of the assets CP stockpiled for him to round out those cup teams.

CP was a hell of a GM that kind of got ****ed over by this org that burned him out. I also think history will be kind to Shero when all is said and done, especially if this 2012 draft works out well. I just don't think Shero can hold a candle to CP. CP was a pretty legendary GM.

Agreed.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

1. Flipped Recchi to Tocchet to Robitaille to Nedved to Kovalev :laugh:

2. Agree about the 2012 draft.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
https://twitter.com/JoshYohe_Trib/status/589277654462922752
Were I Mike Johnston, I'd do everything I did in October. Sutter and Malkin together? Seems silly, but hey, it worked. Etc.

Let's have Sutter center Malkin . . . that's the ticket.

I didn't think it was possible for anyone to contest Rossi's undisputed crown as the biggest idiot in the Pittsburgh media when it comes to the Penguins.

I stand corrected.

This idiot is every bit the apologist for Rutherford and Johnston that his predecessor was for Shero and Bylsma.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
https://twitter.com/JoshYohe_Trib/status/589277654462922752
Were I Mike Johnston, I'd do everything I did in October. Sutter and Malkin together? Seems silly, but hey, it worked. Etc.

Let's have Sutter center Malkin . . . that's the ticket.

I didn't think it was possible for anyone to contest Rossi's undisputed crown as the biggest idiot in the Pittsburgh media when it comes to the Penguins.

I stand corrected.

This idiot is every bit the apologist for Rutherford and Johnston that his predecessor was for Shero and Bylsma.

If he thought that worked, he needs a brain transplant.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Sutter/Malkin worked in the sense that Malkin, individually, looked good. The line didn't produce and Sutter didn't make him better.

Malkins issues now are injury and Kunitz related. Sutter won't fix that.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
"One of the best markets" lol, gotta make the yinzers feel better. The market is empty suits and college kids that jumped on the bandwagon in 2008.

The average joe yinzer ditched the team the second the pirates and steelers became relevant again.

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
the Pittsburgh Penguins: where we use marketing associates, interns, and strippers-turned-ice-girls to sell our tickets, not a hockey team.

I actually looked yesterday and there were TONS of available tickets for the playoff games. They'll find a way to sell them, but how frustrating it is that their solution will be cold calling, ads, and BOGOs in lieu of demanding a palatable hockey team from their hockey ops staff. Call it business, but I just can't respect a business that doesn't live and die specifically by their product.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad