Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish - Part XI (Rossi likes The Godfather Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Trade Kunitz for literally anything.

Buy out Scuderi.

Light a bag of dog **** on Shero's front porch

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
So Dejan's column today is hinting that Pens will buyout 1 or more of their veteran contracts in the offseason?

The puppet masters are floating a trial balloon to see which way the wind is blowing. I fully expect a poll on his site will coincidentally have the same results as any official moves the team makes in this area over the summer.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If you buy out Scuderi he still counts against the cap.

If you can't trade him (or Kunitz) I think you employ the trick of treating them like crap and making them shuttle between the AHL and ECHL until they decide to retire.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
If you buy out Scuderi he still counts against the cap.

If you can't trade him (or Kunitz) I think you employ the trick of treating them like crap and making them shuttle between the AHL and ECHL until they decide to retire.

that would certainly do a lot of good in blowing up the country club

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Sounds like they're using DK to provide a little motivation to certain players. Last time it was Yohe. Guessing Molinari wouldn't take a bite of that **** sandwich.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
It's not Pittsburgh Sports Media, but I wasn't sure where else to put this couple of gems:

I see Vigneault still whines about officiating even when the refs let his team get away with blatant interference all game.

And yet, somehow, Johnston is the one the refs won't give the courtesy of coming up to him to give an explanation when he asks for one...

If the refs were going to hold the Rangers to the same standard that they've held the Pens to, I would expect this to result in the Rangers suddenly racking up a bunch of calls over the next few games. For some reason, I just don't expect that to happen...

Feel free to interpret "the same standard" to apply to either the rulebook or to the teams' respective whining about officiating.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I'd much rather we look at trade options for our veteran contacts before we buyout and take the hits.

I'm sure there'll be tanking teams for next season that will be happy to take them on for a pick.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's not Pittsburgh Sports Media, but I wasn't sure where else to put this couple of gems:

I see Vigneault still whines about officiating even when the refs let his team get away with blatant interference all game.

And yet, somehow, Johnston is the one the refs won't give the courtesy of coming up to him to give an explanation when he asks for one...

If the refs were going to hold the Rangers to the same standard that they've held the Pens to, I would expect this to result in the Rangers suddenly racking up a bunch of calls over the next few games. For some reason, I just don't expect that to happen...

Yet another reason that you don't hire a rookie coach. Johnston is so over his head in this series is hilarious.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
You could kick Johnson in his Johnson and he would thank you. He has never stood up for his team. What a pathetic excuse for a man let alone a coach.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I wish she that he would prove me wrong and for once stick up for his team like AV just did. No one would be happier than me if he did.

AV isn't sticking up for his team, he's trying to take away the only shot the Pens have at scoring garbage goals. He's playing the refs, not "sticking up for his team."

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I agree. 2 years of a mid-30s, two-time Cup winner that might bounce back from a change of scenery.. I think a tweener team like Florida or Dallas would be all over that. At worst they plug him on the 3rd line.

Scuderi is a lot harder to move I think. He's similar in age, Cup wins and cap hit to Kunitz but it's a lot harder to hide a d-man when you only play 6 of them. Most teams are like the Penguins in that they have a few too many bottom pairing d-men as it is.

Also Scuderi's looked like dog poo for two years, Kunitz just for 1. Wonder if there is a cheap incentive we could give the Sabres to swap him for Gorges. Nikitin? would be more expensive next year but would shed that final year.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
AV isn't sticking up for his team, he's trying to take away the only shot the Pens have at scoring garbage goals. He's playing the refs, not "sticking up for his team."

Same thing, or result. What is the risk in Johnson similarly working the refs in the media? That we get ten less power plays than only five?

I question why he has not all year. I bet the Pens do as well. Show me a single quote all year when he has done so. It is working the refs and having their backs.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Same thing, or result. What is the risk in Johnson similarly working the refs in the media? That we get ten less power plays than only five?

I question why he has not all year. I bet the Pens do as well. Show me a single quote all year when he has done so. It is working the refs and having their backs.

It's simply not the same thing. Sticking up for your team is what Tortorella did after a cheapshot. It's going off in an interview/to the refs because of something that happened.

AV is working the refs to try and gain an advantage. The only chance we have at scoring is by causing chaos around the net and getting garbage goals. If AV can manipulate the refs to take that away, we have absolutely no shot. I don't see how that equates to "sticking up for your team." That's simply doing your job. Which brings us to Johnston, and I'm assuming we agree, he's not doing his job at all.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It's simply not the same thing. Sticking up for your team is what Tortorella did after a cheapshot. It's going off in an interview/to the refs because of something that happened.

AV is working the refs to try and gain an advantage. The only chance we have at scoring is by causing chaos around the net and getting garbage goals. If AV can manipulate the refs to take that away, we have absolutely no shot. I don't see how that equates to "sticking up for your team." That's simply doing your job. Which brings us to Johnston, and I'm assuming we agree, he's not doing his job at all.

To me it is semantics. Two birds with one stone. You do not just mouth off, you do so with a purpose or not at all. Sticking up for your team is one of the extra benefits.

It seems we may be saying the same things, you merely did not like how I said it.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
To me it is semantics. Two birds with one stone. You do not just mouth off, you do so with a purpose or not at all. Sticking up for your team is one of the extra benefits.

It seems we may be saying the same things, you merely did not like how I said it.

Yeah, I guess. To me there's a very clear difference between actively sticking up for your team (implying wrongdoing), and simply doing your job.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
the pens' reputations all but precludes johnston's taking the same tack as AV here IMO. would quickly be spun into just more whining from entitled brats. sucks, but this is the reputation they've cultivated over a number of years

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
So, according to "Sources" Kovacevic, someone with the Pens told him, "we're gonna buy out some vets. That's all I can say."

Uh huh

Kunitz and Scuderi were moveable this year. If they now buy them out a year later, they are more ****ed than I imagined.
:laugh:

You can't make this level of incompetence up. As if we haven't already paid for it enough clinging to the past. Now we'll have to pay them to play golf.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Buyouts are not an option anymore. There has got to be a team in the league who is willing to take on Scuderi's contract in exchange for a 7th round pick. There's gotta be someone out there willing to take a flier on Kunitz returning to his 60pt form (which we know how ridiculous that is, but that's another story).

To buy them out would be almost as much of a mistake as keeping them on board. Maybe worse, because we'd end up spending more in the long run with their replacements taken into account.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I disagree. Buyouts are an option. But they should be a last resort.

What I'm getting from your post is that you'd rather have them on the team than buy them out. No thanks.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I disagree. Buyouts are an option. But they should be a last resort.

What I'm getting from your post is that you'd rather have them on the team than buy them out. No thanks.

That's not what I'm saying at all. I should've clarified--I meant amnesty buyouts.

I'd move Kunitz, Sutter, Scuderi and Lovejoy at all costs. I think Sutter's value is high, so he'd likely get a decent return. I don't know how movable the other guys are though, but I'd take literally anything for them--7th round picks, "future considerations," etc.

I'm just saying you have to exhaust all options before even considering the normal buyout option, because we no longer have the luxury of the amnesty buyouts. If it comes to it, and you're unable to find one single deal throughout the league for those guys, you buy them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad