Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish - Part XI (Rossi likes The Godfather Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I actually believe the pensblog thing. It's scary though, because I would bet Despres for Lovejoy was pushed for by Guerin. I don't think he's far enough removed from the game yet for this role.

This organization needs a true gut job and they aren't going to get it.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
this team is done if guerin is put in charge. over. kunitz dupuis adams and scuderi are all getting re-signed

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Jesse,
It's been assumed that Guerin was the one feeding Dejan all the behind the scene stuff regarding Despres, Bennett, etc.. In the graphic on your site it shows someone else. Who is that guy?
I all ready have the tar and feathers, looking for the rail now......as soon as I can get one we can start the party.....send out the invites, don't want to miss anyone. just point me in the right direction.
:)

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
There was due diligence done on this.

I'm hoping that this information was shared in an attempt to gauge what the reaction would be if it did come to pass. PR intel, if you will. The idea that they would promote Billy G, or anyone with so little experience, is frightening. If the rumors that it was Billy G who pushed for the Despres-Lovejoy trade are true, that makes it a nightmare.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Whispers about JR have been floating around for about 3 weeks. Wouldn't surprise me if Pensblog is right. Or if Rossi's been starting **** with JR knowing full well a Dead Man Walking is an easy target.

Far as Guerin making GM, I dunno. He's sort of green and by that, I mean not qualified at all. A magnetic personality is a good asset for a general manager to have at his disposal, but it's not a sufficient or even a necessary condition for the job. Lacroix, Bowman and Lamoriello all have multiple cups from that seat and the next person that describes any of them as likeable will be the first.

Hopefully, 66 didn't look at Bergevin--another really easy guy to like--and say "If he can do it, so can Bill." Bergevin came up fast, too, but he got twice as much management seasoning as Guerin has before landing in a big chair somewhere.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
I hope it isn't true.
But it would be so, so, typical. Seriously Burkle is a businessman, how does he put up with this? You don't put amateurs in critical positions in your business.
Yet here it is happening again.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Wouldn't be surprising to see GMJR gone. The 5 dmen salary cap situation is gross incompetence.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Guerin has zero experience in any GM-like capacity. Even his current AGM job is simply to be a liaison between the players, coaches and management.

He might have an overall good vision of what this team should look and play like to be successful but that doesn't mean he has any clue about contract negotiations, trades, the draft, not to mention the fine details of being a GM.

A GM that needs to learn on the job would pretty much cripple this franchise. Mistakes would be made, and adding those onto the current mountain of mistakes would just be too insurmountable.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Guerin has zero experience in any GM-like capacity. Even his current AGM job is simply to be a liaison between the players, coaches and management.

He might have an overall good vision of what this team should look and play like to be successful but that doesn't mean he has any clue about contract negotiations, trades, the draft, not to mention the fine details of being a GM.

Totally agree. Then again what did Stevie Y and Niewendyk know? Or Brett Hull for that matter.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
The question worth asking is:

"Was his input valued and listened to?"

Exactly, the team was praised for its cap management(that got shero a gm of the year award in 2013), dealt with major injuries yearly, and yet was blindsided this year? Seems very uncharacteristic.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
The question worth asking is:

"Was his input valued and listened to?"

It seems like Rutherford wanted to add players at the TDL in particular Winnik.

It sounds like other voices in the management group wanted Lovejoy and didn't care that Despres was the price. Rutherford didn't seem that involved in the trade one way or another but clearly didn't stop it.

Based on Rutherford's justifications, it sounds like Rutherford and the other aGMs were cautioned about cap space and taking on cap at the TDL and didn't care/listen.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
It seems like Rutherford wanted to add players at the TDL in particular Winnik.

It sounds like other voices in the management group wanted Lovejoy and didn't care that Despres was the price. Rutherford didn't seem that involved in the trade one way or another but clearly didn't stop it.

Based on Rutherford's justifications, it sounds like Rutherford and the other aGMs were cautioned about cap space and taking on cap at the TDL and didn't care/listen.

My opinion is that you can throw out anything Rutherford said after the trade deadline about "9 people" or "well, my assistants wanted this" as an attempt to save face. The idea of his mean subordinates scheming to undermine him is a fiction that exists only in JR's mouth, far as I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad