Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish - Part XI (Rossi likes The Godfather Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Jonathan Bombulie: "Farnham is the guy that should have been called up, not Wilson."

Edit: JB on KK; "he's got major league wheels and a major league release. I think he is going to be stud. I would have called him up. That team needs a jolt."

I don't know too much about Bombulie... is he typically level-headed? It seems he says some very smart things but I am not sure if people pick/choose what they post.

Dude sounds very intelligent.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I don't know too much about Bombulie... is he typically level-headed? It seems he says some very smart things but I am not sure if people pick/choose what they post.

He's really, really good.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Alain Vignault trying to be polite:

:laugh:

1355.gif

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Jonathan Bombulie: "Farnham is the guy that should have been called up, not Wilson."

Edit: JB on KK; "he's got major league wheels and a major league release. I think he is going to be stud. I would have called him up. That team needs a jolt."

Totally agreed.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA

I agree with IC.

I think JB is very good.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
So Dejan's column today is hinting that Pens will buyout 1 or more of their veteran contracts in the offseason?

Maybe they should have moved one of those contracts in Feb when they had a chance...

Sound decision makers this crew.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Maybe they should have moved one of those contracts in Feb when they had a chance...

Sound decision makers this crew.

Yeah. I'd feel bad for ownership having to shell out the money, but they were the ones who have let this get along gang stick around.

Unbelievable they wouldn't move Kunitz if there was an offer on the table. Phil Bourque was saying all year in interviews how Kunitz is a guy you know will raise his game in the playoffs. And I guarantee that's what management felt as well.

Shows equal parts stupidity and nepotism.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
So Dejan's column today is hinting that Pens will buyout 1 or more of their veteran contracts in the offseason?

Barring some unforeseen reversal in the performance of one or more veteran players in these Stanley Cup playoffs, the Penguins are anticipating the buyout of one or more of those veterans’ remaining contracts this summer.

I don’t have names, so please don’t ask. None were given.

What I do know is that the buyout or buyouts will be aimed at making the roster both younger and more manageable in the salary cap sense, and that other steps will be taken, as well. There was no elaboration on the latter.

DK then speculates it's Kunitz.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
So, according to "Sources" Kovacevic, someone with the Pens told him, "we're gonna buy out some vets. That's all I can say."

Uh huh

Kunitz and Scuderi were moveable this year. If they now buy them out a year later, they are more ****ed than I imagined.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
The deal for Kunitz better have involved us retaining significant money or taking on a bad contract. If they legitimately had the chance to free up that cap room, **** this team.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The cap floor always plays a role in hockey. It's stupid to think you can't move kunitz. Somebody would bite.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The cap floor always plays a role in hockey. It's stupid to think you can't move kunitz. Somebody would bite.

You can still move Kunitz, but you COULD have moved Scuderi. I'm so sports angry over this team.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Scuderi is literally the only vet in that discussion where you could buy out. Nobody else would make sense. Kunitz is definitely trade-able. I've seen worse players traded. But all they do is praise Scuds and play him religiously.

Who else would they buy out? Who am I missing?

Also Lemieux/Burkle are looking like idiots when they talked about playing youth and making sure we get younger. :laugh: Going back to the talking points of that DK interview and wow. What a huge let down.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
So, according to "Sources" Kovacevic, someone with the Pens told him, "we're gonna buy out some vets. That's all I can say."

Uh huh

Kunitz and Scuderi were moveable this year. If they now buy them out a year later, they are more ****ed than I imagined.

It does reflect quite poorly on JR and the 7 dumbasses.

I look at it as a sunk cost. We can't go back in time and dump them. If there are no trades to be made now then buyouts are the best option.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
This was by far the best quote from that DK piece

“All you look at as a manager is what you’re getting and whether you’re happy with it. We obviously are,” Rutherford said. “And if the other side is happy, that helps, too, because you know you can do business with that team going forward. There’s a trust.”

Don't worry JR, I'm quite sure that you've made a lot of other teams happy enough to do business with the Pens again.

May 10, 2010
Phil Bourque was saying all year in interviews how Kunitz is a guy you know will raise his game in the playoffs. And I guarantee that's what management felt as well.

Lol, I have no idea how they can be that blind. And maybe they should do more thinking and less feeling.

DK then speculates it's Kunitz.

Just sit the guy now so they aren't crying next season about needing more experience that they could be giving young players now.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Kunitz is still moveable I think.

I agree. 2 years of a mid-30s, two-time Cup winner that might bounce back from a change of scenery.. I think a tweener team like Florida or Dallas would be all over that. At worst they plug him on the 3rd line.

Scuderi is a lot harder to move I think. He's similar in age, Cup wins and cap hit to Kunitz but it's a lot harder to hide a d-man when you only play 6 of them. Most teams are like the Penguins in that they have a few too many bottom pairing d-men as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia