Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
DK on Downie:

A. Lane: At some point, might the Penguins lack of discipline catch up with them, only the Winnipeg Jets have more power-play opportunities against? It is great that they are killing them off at a high rate, but special teams can be streaky.

DK: It’s a dangerous, double-edged sword having players like Steve Downie, Bobby Farnham, even Robert Bortuzzo, who agitate and instigate. Because you want those players distracting the opponent. It’s got value. But at the same time, especially in the case of Downie, you’re going to get the loose-cannon minors. There have only been a dozen games all season in which Downie has not taken a minor. That’s indefensible.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Re Downie, how many of his penalties are for Being Steve Downie vs Loose Cannon?....

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
He also looks like he talks an amazing amount of **** at everyone though, which can't help regardless of how he's playing.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Downie takes a few too many ill advised penalties, but he brings so much to this team that I don't really care. He has been a big net positive IMO.

And Farnham, dude draws far more penalties than he takes as far as I can tell (don't have stats handy).

Fordy

May 28, 2008
including farnham in any discussion of guys taking too many penalties is a straight ticket to my **** list

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
"Penguins teammates make case for Martin to stay with organization":

Neither the Penguins nor Martin has initiated any discussion regarding a possible contract extension. Martin's agent, Ben Hankinson, told Trib Total Media in November that he and Martin would be willing to discuss an extension.

Martin's teammates, however, made it clear they hope general manager Jim Rutherford opts to keep the veteran.
“It's not our call,†defenseman Rob Scuderi said. “But we're certainly glad to have him on this team.â€

“I am most comfortable playing with him,†Letang said.

Trading a defenseman of Martin's caliber, however, isn't necessarily a move that a team attempting to win a Stanley Cup would engineer. His teammates don't seem to think it would be a strong idea.
“Not really,†Scuderi said. “Especially with all the injuries we've had.â€

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Let's ask someone else. Could not care less what Scuderi thinks of trading veteran defensemen.

But Scuderi is the most veteran defenseman, a leader and has absolutely no self interest in what he says.

The sticking point is if Letang is really the most comfortable playing with Martin and how much that factors into his best performance long term. That could get complicated.

“I don't think it's any secret how important he is to this team,†defenseman Robert Bortuzzo said. “He's a great player and a calming influence. If something needs to be said, he'll say it. He's got that poise. He's good for young guys, too. He's always been a guy for me to bounce things off of.â€

That ******* took Scuderi's role. :rant:

Martin ranks second among NHL defensemen in a key defensive category. The Penguins allow only 1.39 goals for every 60 minutes of five-on-five hockey while Martin is on the ice.

“He's a very big part of our team,†Letang said. “He keeps us settled down when we need to settle down. Having him back is a big deal.â€

And Scuderi's other roles. God damn it, Martin is a monster.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
But Scuderi is the most veteran defenseman, a leader and has absolutely no self interest in what he says.

The sticking point is if Letang is really the most comfortable playing with Martin and how much that factors into his best performance long term. That could get complicated.

That ******* took Scuderi's role. :rant:

And Scuderi's other roles. God damn it, Martin is a monster.

So, I guess the takeaway here is that 36-year Scuderi really is role model and leader for the young defensemen, and is grooming one of them, 33-year old Martin, to be his replacement? Ideally that means Martin gets a 6-year contract, so he is still there when Scuderi's runs out.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Okay Rob, we'll keep Martin...but guess who's next up to bat?

I've never been a huge Paul Martin fan.
When he's playing well, he's got a good stick and can join a rush(sometimes) or keep a cycle going but he's been here long enough, that i know he isn't essential to this team winning in the playoffs.

Would rather move Despres up and pay 1-2 Million less for a super physical/pk'ing D.

ETA: For me, it boils down to if Erhoff reups here. No sense in having both Erhoff and Martin in my mind.
And a big reason why JR picked Erhoff up. He may be a great replacement if they decide to move Martin.

Last edited:

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Okay Rob, we'll keep Martin...but guess who's next up to bat?

I've never been a huge Paul Martin fan.
When he's playing well, he's got a good stick and can join a rush(sometimes) or keep a cycle going but he's been here long enough, that i know he isn't essential to this team winning in the playoffs.

Would rather move Despres up and pay 1-2 Million less for a super physical/pk'ing D.

ETA: For me, it boils down to if Erhoff reups here. No sense in having both Erhoff and Martin in my mind.
And a big reason why JR picked Erhoff up. He may be a great replacement if they decide to move Martin.

I am very hesitant to move Martin this year but I wouldn't re-sign him. I would however bring Ehrhoff back for 2 or 3 more years. Wouldn't go over 4 there. Dump Scuderi somehow, that's the bad contract.

Maatta - Letang
Ehrhoff - Despres
Pouliot - Harrington

That is a STACKED defense. Lots of options there. Harrington has a lot of Martin in his game so he could play with Letang. Or put Ehrhoff or Maatta with Letang. Or Maatta with Harrington....

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
The refs really hate downie... he never shuts up yapping at them so they treat him even worse than they do most agitators. Mostly calls just to get him. Its absurd.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Penguins GM Rutherford not considering drastic moves at this point

The Penguins might not need another top-six winger at all, Rutherford said.

“We'll see over time whether we need that winger or not,†Rutherford said. “There are a couple of options. One is that (Brandon) Sutter moves up because he's a top-six guy, and (Evgeni Malkin) goes to the wing. That would be one way to do it.

“Getting Beau (Bennett) going here and (him staying) healthy and consistent, that's another guy capable of being top-six. When we signed (Blake) Comeau, we didn't sign him as a top-six guy, but he's performed at that level. (Steve) Downie has shown that, when he's given the opportunity and healthy, that he can play there.

“We'll see how that plays out. If that doesn't play out right, we'll still look at adding another player.â€

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Just posturing, I'm sure. Although there may be some truth to it. Obviously he's not going to say he really wants another winger.

Although the Malkin to wing idea infuriates me.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist
Malkin - Sutter - Bennett
Kunitz - Goc - Downie
Ebbett - Sill - Adams

?

If Sutter didn't suck, that would be a slick top-6.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Tired of guys like Scuderi and Adams being mouth pieces for this team. ****ing annoying.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I'm really hoping he's just saying this so that other GMs don't think he's desperate.

He and the coaching staff seem to be the only people that haven't realized that Malkin on Sutter's wing is a disaster.

We could do with another top 6, but once healthy we have a very good lineup.

Perron - Sid - Horny
Comeau - Geno - Bennett
Kunitz - Sutter - Get up, come on get downie with the sickness
Spaling - Goc - Rusty nail

Ehrhoff - The Tang
Maatta - Martin
Scuds/Bortz - Despres

We'd make some serious noise in the PO's with that Bottom 6. Especially if we get Duper back near the end.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Madden just teased on Savrans show that the Pens have a "big trade available" to them if the want it. That he will reveal at 3 on his show. Odds that...

1. Big is actually big?
2. Its real?
3. Source isn't Rossi?

50%
1%
0%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad