Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
To be fair, it was initially reported that way because that's what Johnston told everyone had happened. Molinari got it right in his story.

A couple of hours after Bennett appeared to injure his left knee in a three-on-three scrimmage at Consol Energy Center, coach Mike Johnston told reporters Bennett was hurt when he fell awkwardly after having his skate clipped by Kapanen.

Johnston's explanation seemed perfectly plausible, but seemingly stemmed from a serious case of mistaken identity.

"I wasn't even on the ice," Kapanen said Saturday, after scoring the Penguins' first goal in their 2-1 preseason victory against Columbus at Consol Energy Center.

But anyways...

If we're going to start this thread back up, we ask everyone to please keep it focused on coverage of the team -- things that are actually written/said. Posts that are nothing more than "Madden is fat" or "Rossi is stupid" will likely be deleted and might earn you a threadban.

Many thanks.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Part VIII. Pittsburgh media still inept.

[NHL]640270&catid=912[/NHL]

It wasn't Kapanen who clipped Bennett, as it was reported by everyone.

[spoil]Madden is fat, Rossi is stupid.[/spoil]

Damn thats the first time I actually saw what happened to Bennett. I now understand the reaction it drew with the team and media. As a whole we are very lucky it was just a sprain.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
But anyways...

If we're going to start this thread back up, we ask everyone to please keep it focused on coverage of the team -- things that are actually written/said. Posts that are nothing more than "Madden is fat" or "Rossi is stupid" will likely be deleted and might earn you a threadban.

Many thanks

This mod warning needs to be clear before we start this thread. There will be zero warnings.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
The only person allowed to rail on Rossi out of principle, is me. ;) Because to me it's artistic expression protected under teh Constitution.

...it gives the darkness meaning. I hope you all enjoy my art.

Now we all must wait for Rossi to open his mouth or write something down. Odds that it earns him abuse are good.

By the way I am extremely disappointed that not even one of you could manage to give him a wedgie this summer.

Bad mojo. Someone better hang him up from a player locker, pronto. Use a fork lift if you have to.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
***** is stupid and ****** is fat. :p:

It's pretty comical that it was actually Sill who took out Bennett and all this time we thought it was Kapanen. There was something about them seeing Sill as the new Adams, wasn't there?

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Is calling them by nicknames, such as Baghdad Rob, acceptable? Or do we have to wait for them to earn it again?

I guess either way, it won't be a long wait. :laugh:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
***** is stupid and ****** is fat. :p:

It's pretty comical that it was actually Sill who took out Bennett and all this time we thought it was Kapanen. There was something about them seeing Sill as the new Adams, wasn't there?

Good God, had it been Adams himself taking out Bennett this place would be full of thread bans.

I suck for bringing that up.

I'll excuse myself.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Wanted to thank Karnage and BlindWillie for filling me in on the off-season in the previous incarnation of this thread. Obviously, I was too slow to react. Still, not as slow as Shelly Anderson!

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
The only person allowed to rail on Rossi out of principle, is me. ;) Because to me it's artistic expression protected under teh Constitution.

...it gives the darkness meaning. I hope you all enjoy my art.

Now we all must wait for Rossi to open his mouth or write something down. Odds that it earns him abuse are good.

By the way I am extremely disappointed that not even one of you could manage to give him a wedgie this summer.

Bad mojo. Someone better hang him up from a player locker, pronto. Use a fork lift if you have to.

Ran into Rossi in Frick Park yesterday Darth. He might still be hanging from that Maple.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
From DK's Q&A

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2014/10/14/tuesday-12-qs-submit-entries-now-3/

Nothing too noteworthy in there other than this little barb at the end

Question: DK, I realize it’s only two games but the Penguins PK unit is awful. What do they need to do to improve, other than leave Paul Martin on the bench? I don’t think he’s looked good at all, especially in short-handed situations.

DK: Highly specific situations can stand out in our minds, good or bad, and get overvalued. I’m going to take a wild guess, Jason, that you’re thinking of Martin’s fairly lame poke attempt on Corey Perry’s hat trick goal the other night after the Ducks had already been buried. And I’d advise taking a broader perspective.

For one, the Penguins are, indeed, off to a terrific start. Winning in Toronto is one thing — everyone’s been doing that for close to half a century — but beating Anaheim with Perry and Ryan Getzlaf going full-tilt, that’s different. It’s been uplifting, both in terms of results and process.

For another, you’re right: The PK’s been lousy. And you’re further right that it’s got plenty to do with personnel. I just don’t think it’s Martin in question. Rob Scuderi has basically latched himself to the fencepost and shouts angrily at neighbors invading his yard. Not much there. Still. The rest of the PK defense isn’t much better. This is one area where Robert Bortuzzo will help eventually. Strong, nasty, and his lack of mobility doesn’t hurt him. Up front is a concern, too. If it isn’t Sutter or Dupuis, it’s iffy. And that goes triple for Craig Adams, who plain and simple no longer can play short-handed in the NHL. Or even strength. Or observing from the bench.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
From DK's Q&A

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2014/10/14/tuesday-12-qs-submit-entries-now-3/

Nothing too noteworthy in there other than this little barb at the end
Question: DK, I realize it’s only two games but the Penguins PK unit is awful. What do they need to do to improve, other than leave Paul Martin on the bench? I don’t think he’s looked good at all, especially in short-handed situations.

DK: Highly specific situations can stand out in our minds, good or bad, and get overvalued. I’m going to take a wild guess, Jason, that you’re thinking of Martin’s fairly lame poke attempt on Corey Perry’s hat trick goal the other night after the Ducks had already been buried. And I’d advise taking a broader perspective.

For one, the Penguins are, indeed, off to a terrific start. Winning in Toronto is one thing — everyone’s been doing that for close to half a century — but beating Anaheim with Perry and Ryan Getzlaf going full-tilt, that’s different. It’s been uplifting, both in terms of results and process.

For another, you’re right: The PK’s been lousy. And you’re further right that it’s got plenty to do with personnel. I just don’t think it’s Martin in question. Rob Scuderi has basically latched himself to the fencepost and shouts angrily at neighbors invading his yard. Not much there. Still. The rest of the PK defense isn’t much better. This is one area where Robert Bortuzzo will help eventually. Strong, nasty, and his lack of mobility doesn’t hurt him. Up front is a concern, too. If it isn’t Sutter or Dupuis, it’s iffy. And that goes triple for Craig Adams, who plain and simple no longer can play short-handed in the NHL. Or even strength. Or observing from the bench.

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::yo::yo::yo::yo::yo:

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I don't see Bort as lacking mobility. His balance is bad, but that's not the same thing.

Anyways, here's Justin Bourne talking about why Crosby scores on so many clean shots in the second quarter of his career.

http://www.thescore.com/news/600756

TL: DR; version

Crosby sacrifices pace for speed of release, which causes tenders to misread his shot.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
I don't see Bort as lacking mobility. His balance is bad, but that's not the same thing.

Bortuzzo has often been described as one of the slower skaters on the D. Don't really disagree with that. Nothing too bad, really. Just not a strength.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa

Anyways, here's Justin Bourne talking about why Crosby scores on so many clean shots in the second quarter of his career.

Crosby sacrifices pace for speed of release, which causes tenders to misread his shot.

Love that article, and it's so true. Powering up a shot takes time and gives the goalie time to get a better angle for the shot, even if just a split-second. Crosby's release is like nothing I've really seen before, and I've even tried working in a shot like that into my game and it really does baffle goalies if you can get it off quick enough.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Bortuzzo has often been described as one of the slower skaters on the D. Don't really disagree with that. Nothing too bad, really. Just not a strength.

He skates pretty fast for a big guy. His problem is his transitions and people mistake that for him being cumbersome.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
i have never thought bort looked slow. if anything, i recall him looking sneakily fast when given room to carry the puck and get a head of steam.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean

The Greg Maddux of goalscoring. Cool article.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Pretty basic shooting mindset that a lot of players never really understand/integrate. Catching a goalie off-guard with a quick shot in stride is better than taking all day to set up and "get everything on it".

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
http://network.yardbarker.com/all_s...nksrc=story_article_yb_mainhead_head_17486486

Long interview with Yohe. Nothing groundbreaking. Touches on team toughness, team comeraderie (the new guys are fitting in extremely well), expects Sutter and Bennett to be a pair for the year, wants a big player to be acquired to play with Malkin less concerned if he's a shooter or a traffic player, says Johnston is getting the Team's respect with all the 'herbies' he's making them do.

Edit: almost positive Adams has no place in Johnston's mind once everyone's healthy and he questions whether Scuderi does.

Last edited:

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
@ROOTSPORTSPIT
Johnston does not feel need to think about moving Geno back to center....could change when Bennett returns.
@penguins
Johnston: “Our lineup is playing well right now. I like the mixture. I like the guys & the way they’ve been playing."

I guess this is the right place to post this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->