Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish: Bombulie ‎to restore order @ the Trib

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Maybe they figured they will get one when the Devils hire Hynes

3 is still better than 2. Might as well use the rule to your full advantage.

Unless they plan on poaching someone from NJ down the road, maybe. Gentleman's agreement that we don't do it to you, you don't do it to us. Only rational situation I can come up with.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I think the Penguins thought it was taboo, like an offer sheet, and then once other teams started doing it they realized they were going to get skewered by their fanbase (not that they would have).

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Heh, so they did do it because everyone else started to.

Why didn’t they ask for compensation from the Devils when they hired Ray Shero to be their general manager? Like Bylsma, he was still under contract with the Penguins for one more season.

I just spoke with Jim Rutherford about this. Simply put, Rutherford didn’t ask for compensation from the Devils because he believed this went against the spirit of NHL rules, given that the Penguins had already fired Shero one year earlier.

Then, Peter Chiarelli was signed by the Oilers to oversee their hockey operations as as their general manager. The Bruins demanded compensation even though they had recently fired him. Had the Penguins been in that position, they wouldn’t have asked for compensation.

“That changed everything,” Rutherford said. “From that point, we decided we were going to ask for compensation in a similar situation.”

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2015/05/28/newsviews-sabres-hire-bylsma-as-coach/

Would be nice to have another 3rd in this draft. You could package a couple 3rds for a 2nd.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
:laugh: What a joke. Hey guys, I thought it was going to hurt the Penguins to seek a pick. Remember when people were defending JR not doing it?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The exact kind of thing that's lead to us going from an extremely promising, elite hockey club to a **** franchise buoyed by two superstars.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm pretty damn scared about this team's future. JR is willing to trade a guy when he knows he will regret it as soon as 4 months and is intentionally not pursuing picks because he didn't want to be mean, then changes his mind when someone else is mean first.

JR is open for business and that is a scary proposition.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
"I thought the intent was that it wasn’t negotiable. It was supposed to be a second or third round pick. And I thought it was only for people that were under contract, whose contracts hadn’t been terminated.”

Gee JR, seems like that might have been something worth looking into rather than just assuming.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Yeah really. He didn't think anyone would take advantage of that rule? The Penguins are lightyears behind the curve.

penguins2946*

Since when do people here take DK seriously? He's no better than Rossi at this point. To be honest, I'm not ruling out the possibility that DK didn't just make up that quote. That's how little I think of DK at this point.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Since when do people here take DK seriously? He's no better than Rossi at this point. To be honest, I'm not ruling out the possibility that DK didn't just make up that quote. That's how little I think of DK at this point.

DK's an idiot and a piece of ****, but he's not going to simply make up quotes unless he wants to start battling libel suits full-time.

penguins2946*

DK's an idiot and a piece of ****, but he's not going to simply make up quotes unless he wants to start battling libel suits full-time.

Maybe "making up" wasn't the best choice of words, but I do think he twisted/nitpicked what JR said. The PG just posted an article that had a quote by JR that essentially said they didn't go after compensation because they didn't want to hold up Shero's signing and potentially screw him over. That's a lot different than "we feel like it goes against the spirit of the rule". The first is at least somewhat reasonable, it's a respect thing. I don't agree with it, but I can understand it. The 2nd is just pure BS, it makes no sense.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Maybe "making up" wasn't the best choice of words, but I do think he twisted/nitpicked what JR said. The PG just posted an article that had a quote by JR that essentially said they didn't go after compensation because they didn't want to hold up Shero's signing and potentially screw him over. That's a lot different than "we feel like it goes against the spirit of the rule". The first is at least somewhat reasonable, it's a respect thing. I don't agree with it, but I can understand it. The 2nd is just pure BS, it makes no sense.

I don't think there's any way to take those quotes out of context, including the one I cited in post #915. That level of incompetence doesn't seem possible, but there it is.

penguins2946*

I don't think there's any way to take those quotes out of context, including the one I cited in post #915. That level of incompetence doesn't seem possible, but there it is.

The PG article also said they knew and understood the rules in place. Idk, maybe it's just the tiny amount of faith I have left in the idea that this organization isn't entirely dumb as rocks that is making me say this, but I highly doubt not understanding the rules or not viewing taking the pick to be "in the spirit of the rule" were the reasons for not taking the pick. The PG quote makes entire sense if you think the organization isn't totally incompetent yet. DK's only makes sense if you already think the organization is run by a bunch of mental health patients.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The PG article also said they knew and understood the rules in place. Idk, maybe it's just the tiny amount of faith I have left in the idea that this organization isn't entirely dumb as rocks that is making me say this, but I highly doubt not understanding the rules or not viewing taking the pick to be "in the spirit of the rule" were the reasons for not taking the pick. The PG quote makes entire sense if you think the organization isn't totally incompetent yet. DK's only makes sense if you already think the organization is run by a bunch of mental health patients.

The quotes make sense if you trust that reporters, uninformed and revisionist as some here are, don't simply go around making up quotes. And that Rutherford is known for going off-script.

But believe what you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad