Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish: Bombulie ‎to restore order @ the Trib

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I don't care how ******** the rule is, if it's there and it can help us then ****ing do it! Don't take the high-road only to step off of it right away after some other team was smart enough to use it. After seeing how many draft picks JR has flushed away in just one season, we can use every pick we can get.
I don't even care if they decided against it, but they should have at least considered it and investigated. Same with Babcock.

Instead, we have 9 gm's with their thumbs up their ***** instead of looking for ways to improve.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
not that this draft pick compensation situation is particularly important but it's just another example of this organization's misteps. the pens used to be among the premier teams in the league, and while they might not universally be perceived as the laughing stock of the league like i think they deserve, it's safe to say the luster has worn off the pittsburgh penguins.

as they make more and more dumb moves and are eliminated from the playoffs earlier and earlier each year, i wonder when one of the individuals in the crosby camp will start to seriously question whether he should remain with this team. i don't think it will be sid's idea initially, but at least one person in his camp already doesn't have a favorable view of this organization.

putting it another way, let's say the pens lose in the first round for each of the next two years, largely because of the lame supporting cast. the bad moves outweighs the good, as has been the case for the past few years. a few gross miscalculations akin to the despres move sprinkled in there. altogether a fairly likely scenario. do we seriously expect sid to stick with this team? same holds true for malkin though i don't know who is in his camp and how they feel about things.

if you are a superstar with just a few years left in your prime, do you really want to play for an organization that is clearly trending downward purely because of incompetence and arrogance? that's the scenario both sid and geno are facing now. people can cite loyalty but i don't think this organization deserves loyalty.

I've had similar thoughts recently and here's the question I have. If 87 and 71 end up wanting to leave because of the idiocy of this organization, it would have to force the Penguins to wise up, right? And by wise up I mean, actually hire hockey people to make hockey evaluations and decisions, come up with an organized direction going forward on rebuilding this team. I mean competence is what we want right? So moving those two, it will have to force the penguins to start making better decisions going forward.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Since when do people here take DK seriously? He's no better than Rossi at this point. To be honest, I'm not ruling out the possibility that DK didn't just make up that quote. That's how little I think of DK at this point.

It's called a quote. If he is making it up, I'd imagine the Pens would strip his credentials right away.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
So all it takes is a quick email to Bill Daily to clarify the rule? Weird that seems like something a general manager of a hockey team should be doing. Guess that's too much to ask.

When a good portion of them feel they are clear on it, and agree with each other, why would they be emailing him about it?

This is just trying too hard to find anything to keep beating a drum.

this is very much a 20/20 after the fact nitpicking.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If this was just one isolated misstep nobody would care. But it's this plus playing 5 D down the stretch plus the Despres trade. It's a circus right now.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
If this was just one isolated misstep nobody would care. But it's this plus playing 5 D down the stretch plus the Despres trade. It's a circus right now.

Right. As one thing in a vacuum this is no big deal.

But there's a serious pattern of not crossing t's and dotting i's the last six months.

Stan Bowman forgot to qualify Keith one time. But then he never did anything like that again.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Right. As one thing in a vacuum this is no big deal.

But there's a serious pattern of not crossing t's and dotting i's the last six months.

Stan Bowman forgot to qualify Keith one time. But then he never did anything like that again.

Hmm, I thought it was Tallon that forgot to qualify a few players and was canned shortly thereafter. So in that sense, the same organization (one of the best run, IMO) failed to qualify its RFAs twice then? Not excusing the Pens incompetence or anything, but hey, at least we got a 3rd rounder. I'll take that little kernel of positivity in this otherwise bleak season.

LucSZ

Aug 10, 2014
From DK's Friday Insider:

This is the truth about the 2011 draft, as described by a man who sat at that table and remains with the organization today in pristine standing …

The Penguins’ scouts had made up their collective mind that their choice was Saad, the Gibsonia native, not at all because he was local but entirely because they were stunned he had fallen so far after being a consensus top-five pick, and there he was all the way down at their No. 23 position. They knew Saad’s plunge had much to do with a groin injury that season, but they also knew more about him than most teams, partly because of his proximity, partly because he’d just been invited to Consol Energy Center for a personal visit and tour a month earlier. They couldn’t believe their good fortune.

But Shero wanted a defenseman. And being the GM, he got a defenseman, Joe Morrow.

Sometimes I think about what this team could've been...

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Goes against the thinking that GM's scouting staffs make the picks that some throw at me when i point out Shero was terrible drafting for potential solutions around Sid/Geno.

I'll never understand Shero's reluctance to attack the "talent around Sid/Geno" problem through multiple avenues. He stuck with 2 only. He believed in his abiliity to trade D for it and sometimes went after the odd grade A free agent that hit the market(ex.Parise). It just seems very stupid to not pick up a few along the way that you didn't have to work to acquire. All it took was walking up to a podium and announcing a name.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Goes against the thinking that GM's scouting staffs make the picks that some throw at me when i point out Shero was terrible drafting for solutions around Sid/Geno.

I'll never understand Shero's reluctance to attack the "talent around Sid/Geno" problem through multiple avenues. He stuck with 2 only. He believed in his abiliity to trade D for it and sometimes went after the odd grade A free agent that hit the market(ex.Parise). It just seems very stupid to not pick up a few along the way that you didn't have to work to acquire. All it took was walking up to a podium and announcing a name.

He's the NJ Devils problem now, good luck to them, their pool of prospects is already horrendous.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
And his sources are...... ? So some scout four years later is just pouring his heart out? GTFO.

Funny thing is, McGuire was on Montreal radio today saying the exact opposite. That Shero wanted Saad but his scouts kept telling him he was soft.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Sometimes I think about what this team could've been...

The Chicago Blackhawks. A perennial Cup favorite, not just contender. That could've been this team, if the organization wasn't run by a bunch of ****ing idiots for the last half of a decade--between Shero, Bylsma, JR, and Shero's 84 cronies who stuck around despite our incompetent and aloof owners' promise for change.

Yeah, I'm pissed. :laugh:

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
So, am I to believe Shero's best friend or a generally full of **** blogger?

I'm going to need some time before I know at whom to direct my wrath.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
There really wasn't alot Shero had to do when he came here. He just had to be a competent GM that planned not only for the now but the future of a team that had Sid and Geno on it. The now sucked after 09 and the future is bleak.

I look at the Ducks and what they have now with Getzlaf and Perry hitting 30. Pens have alot of catching up to do if they want to have what they have when they turn 30 and i'm pretty positive JR and the 8 or 9 aren't the ones that are gonna get it done here. Thats on Mario/Burkle more than anyone else.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The Chicago Blackhawks. A perennial Cup favorite, not just contender. That could've been this team, if the organization wasn't run by a bunch of ****ing idiots for the last half of a decade--between Shero, Bylsma, JR, and Shero's 84 cronies who stuck around despite our incompetent and aloof owners' promise for change.

Yeah, I'm pissed. :laugh:

I mentioned this before and I will mention this again...

The Chicago Black Hawks were being sabotaged by it's own owner for a very very long time, "Dollar Bill" Wirtz was a terrible person, when his kids I believe took over, that's when things got better.

The Pens problems, whether we keep seeing people choosing to attack and blame Rutherford, Botterill, Fitzgerald, Guerin, and Morehouse, begin with Lemieux & Burkle.

If Dollar Bill still ran that team, the Hawks would be the Oilers.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Like I said in the off-season thread and DK said it in that insider. It's telling that we fired the GM and coaching staff but kept the scouts. I know people our down about our scouting but to their credit, their drafting seemed to have improved over the past couple of years.

In our 1st draft without Shero, we drafted a highly skilled European winger who could have been taken a lot earlier. I know JR has a connection with him, and I think Carolina would have taken him 7th overall if JR was still their GM. It seems like the Pens got their guy at pick 22.

Also, Sami Kapanen said he saw Kasperi going anywhere from 7th overall to 27th overall, I wonder if he thought Carolina was a potential destination for him as well.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Like I said in the off-season thread and DK said it in that insider. It's telling that we fired the GM and coaching staff but kept the scouts. I know people our down about our scouting but to their credit, their drafting seemed to have improved over the past couple of years.

In our 1st draft without Shero, we drafted a highly skilled European winger who could have been taken a lot earlier. I know JR has a connection with him, and I think Carolina would have taken him 7th overall if JR was still their GM. It seems like the Pens got their guy at pick 22.

Also, Sami Kapanen said he saw Kasperi going anywhere from 7th overall to 27th overall, I wonder if he thought Carolina was a potential destination for him as well.

It's telling that Shero's scouts haven't had any success in drafting a NHL forward.

Saad is one player in one draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad