Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish: Bombulie ‎to restore order @ the Trib

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa
The trade was so bizarre value wise and unnecessary that I've had to tell myself that despres must have done something inexcusable locker room wise(slept with someones gf/wife or did hardcore drugs). I really just want the straight answer, I'd at least respect them if they gave that. It's just insane a staff with so many years experience with the nhl would make that deal believing they were getting a talent upgrade.

That's my belief too. And somewhat supported by the fact that two sets of coaches / GMs seemingly had no interest in the kid.

The alternative is too scary.

Even so, you'd have to think there was something out there better than Lovejoy.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That's my belief too. And somewhat supported by the fact that two sets of coaches / GMs seemingly had no interest in the kid.

The "two sets of coaches/GMs" card is goofy to begin with.

Those same two sets of coaches/GMs thought Craig Adams was an everyday NHL player too.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I kinda feel like the Penguins and their little media hack brigade would have gleefully tossed Despres under the bus if it were a matter of serious off ice issues. Or at least really, really pressed that point in vague terms. Yeah... we heard some stuff (briefly) about concerns relating to his personal life. But that angle seemed dropped pretty damned quickly. I think DK said something to that effect once or twice, never expanded upon it (surprise, surprise) and there hasn't been anything said since.

I dunno. Maybe they wouldn't have for Despres' sake (HA!) but... eh...

Mischa

Feb 11, 2012

Tanner glass was highly thought of by two different coaches and 3 different organizations (idk about Winnipeg). That doesn't mean he is actually a useful player.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
The ONLY thing I've ever heard is him being late for a flight due to being hungover once or twice. That's not exactly grounds for immediate trade.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I kinda feel like the Penguins and their little media hack brigade would have gleefully tossed Despres under the bus if it were a matter of serious off ice issues. Or at least really, really pressed that point in vague terms. Yeah... we heard some stuff (briefly) about concerns relating to his personal life. But that angle seemed dropped pretty damned quickly. I think DK said something to that effect once or twice, never expanded upon it (surprise, surprise) and there hasn't been anything said since.

I dunno. Maybe they wouldn't have for Despres' sake (HA!) but... eh...

DK basically implied Despres had a gambling problem, and some blogger site (Ryan Wilson, maybe? I don't know, someone of that ilk) said his info was legit and he was told the same thing by the same source. No one else in the MSM touched that kind of story, and I think it's something you can decide to trust DK/his source on or not. I think there's been so much crap leaked about traded players from this org that turned out not to be true that I can't trust it, though at least in Neal's case, they were leaking crap to hide the real reason he had to be traded.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Yup, now he's tweeting about whether or not Despres will go into the HOF in a Pens or Ducks sweater.

Man's pretty easy to figure out though, which makes this all the more amusing. As I've said several times, most hockey fans in Pittsburgh are of the "casual" variety (no offense to any lurkers who frequent this place) and they agree with him because they're simply followers who can't formulate their own opinions because they don't understand the game.

As a result, he'll tweet some random remark then bathe in the glory of his followers tweeting out "Haha way to go DK." as if it's some form of validation. It's pretty funny.
:laugh: You nailed it.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If Ron & Mario were serious about the one ice product and not just lining their pockets with more C-notes in stacks on stacks on stacks...

They would fire Guerin, Morehouse, and Rutherford and do a slight brand-refresh with going back to the old colors (the third jersey kit being the regular kit) and put more of an effort into development and scouting and start to build from within so the team can stop relying on free agency and trades to fix problems while countless other teams fix theirs through the draft and cultivating talent from free agency of young players leaving their youth teams or college.

But they aren't, they're deaf and blind to the problems like Katz was and won't really give 2 ***** until they lose a lot of money one season or get absolutely embarrassed.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Tanner glass was highly thought of by two different coaches and 3 different organizations (idk about Winnipeg). That doesn't mean he is actually a useful player.

Yes he's terrible, but I believe that 100%.

The last what, 6-10yrs the premium for players that are most often swapped or traded for are bottom 6 players and defensemen, a very high premium is on defensemen and has been for quite some time, but for what bottom 6 players should get paid, they are getting paid a lot more now than before (where a bottom 6 used to make 600k or even a lot less than that, they now make upwards of 1m+).

Tanner Glass, while garbage, was a guy a lot of teams sought out and traded for or signed.

Meaning, they had a choice in wanting him on their team and choose to want him.

Which is why I laugh at people thinking so and so isn't worth this or that much on the trade market...teams are more likely to want a guy that will strengthen their bottom 6 than a top 6 project that might rebound like a Hemsky.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm surprised these weren't mentioned in this thread already:

"Penguins pursuing a first-round draft pick"
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...a-first-round-draft-pick/stories/201505240137

NOTES — Rutherford said the Penguins still are trying to sign “a couple†of free agents from Europe or college, “but I don’t know where that stands.â€
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...-for-Rutherford-Penguins/stories/201505250040

That last one also mentions that Rutherford's basically only going to bring back Free Agents if they're willing to come at a discount, and that he's willing to play more prospects. I'll believe it when I see it, but it's nice to see that he's claiming that he'll do that, at least...

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
One of these days Colin Dunlap is going to beat someone to death in a road rage incident.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/video/11531652-1-cochran-sports-showdown-may-25-2015-part-3/

Does anybody else find it hilariously hypocritical that Dejan whines about cherry picking the positives about Despres, but he does the exact same thing about the negatives? I'm still waiting for the guy to say it was a bad trade, and they should have kept Despres. Something that even Rutherford admitted to, along with every other ****ing media member that's not an idiot.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I find it odd that he paints Cole as some dominant defender (may have been later in the program), while nitpicking everything Despres does. Even if Despres is "just a third pairing D," Cole spent most nights looking like either a #5 or a #8. There were more of the second sort of nights than the first sort, too, though playing him too many minutes over his head certainly didn't help matters.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Bigger ******-bag, DK or Rossi? Discuss ...

Equal, for different reasons. Rossi is a petulant child, who throws temper tantrums like a 7 year old. DK's an egomaniac, with a propensity for belittling people who disagree with him and a man who changes colors to fit in when appropriate. He has no real thoughts or knowledge of his own, he is just good at feeling the shifts in the wind.

They're both embarrassingly terrible reporters.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Does anybody else find it hilariously hypocritical that Dejan whines about cherry picking the positives about Despres, but he does the exact same thing about the negatives? I'm still waiting for the guy to say it was a bad trade, and they should have kept Despres. Something that even Rutherford admitted to, along with every other ****ing media member that's not an idiot.

I think Dejan has admitted it was a bad trade but I agree that his accusations of cherry picking are hypocritical as hell. All you have to do to figure out who's cherry picking here is ask yourself if Despres has been good or bad overall. If he's been good overall (and he has) then the cherry picking is from whoever is pointing out the couple of bad things from an otherwise good performance. It would be different if Despres were stinking up the joint and people were cherry picking the only couple of good plays he makes to defend him. That's not the case though.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I think Dejan has admitted it was a bad trade but I agree that his accusations of cherry picking are hypocritical as hell. All you have to do to figure out who's cherry picking here is ask yourself if Despres has been good or bad overall. If he's been good overall (and he has) then the cherry picking is from whoever is pointing out the couple of bad things from an otherwise good performance. It would be different if Despres were stinking up the joint and people were cherry picking the only couple of good plays he makes to defend him. That's not the case though.

Where was this at?

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Where was this at?

billybudd posted the video link a few posts above. He says it around 1:20 into the video.

Although I think Dejan is full of it on this one too because he says he didn't write or say it was a good trade but he was pretty much the only person in town defending the trade when it happened. I think Dejan forgets that people can still pull up his articles and interviews later on and expose his inconsistencies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Even there, he's claiming that he was withholding judgement when the trade was made, and that's a lie.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Even if he had withheld judgement, which he didn't, he'd have to be an idiot to do so. It was a very bad trade in several very obvious ways from the get-go. Kovacevic just doesn't have an eye for hockey abilities and he doesn't follow the rest of the NHL so he took the reports that Lovejoy had developed well in Anaheim and over-amplified it. He assumed that an NHL team wouldn't make such an obviously ****** trade and tried to justify it.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Even if he had withheld judgement, which he didn't, he'd have to be an idiot to do so. It was a very bad trade in several very obvious ways from the get-go. Kovacevic just doesn't have an eye for hockey abilities and he doesn't follow the rest of the NHL so he took the reports that Lovejoy had developed well in Anaheim and over-amplified it. He assumed that an NHL team wouldn't make such an obviously ****** trade and tried to justify it.

Yup. That much was obvious from his first take on the trade.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I'm surprised these weren't mentioned in this thread already:

"Penguins pursuing a first-round draft pick"
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...a-first-round-draft-pick/stories/201505240137

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...-for-Rutherford-Penguins/stories/201505250040

That last one also mentions that Rutherford's basically only going to bring back Free Agents if they're willing to come at a discount, and that he's willing to play more prospects. I'll believe it when I see it, but it's nice to see that he's claiming that he'll do that, at least...

I hope we don't lose Hynes to NJ.

This made me smile though
Nine players who finished the season with the Penguins — forwards Craig Adams, Blake Comeau, Steve Downie, Max Lapierre and Daniel Winnik, defensemen Paul Martin, Christian Ehrhoff and Taylor Chorney, and goalie Thomas Greiss — are scheduled to become unrestricted free agents July 1, but Rutherford won’t rule out any except Adams returning for 2015-16.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad