Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish: Bombulie ‎to restore order @ the Trib

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
My opinion is that you can throw out anything Rutherford said after the trade deadline about "9 people" or "well, my assistants wanted this" as an attempt to save face. The idea of his mean subordinates scheming to undermine him is a fiction that exists only in JR's mouth, far as I'm concerned.

I am not implying that Rutherford shouldn't be held responsible for all the trades that he made or that the assistant GMs were scheming behind his back.

The Lovejoy scenario seemed much more like Rutherford wanting more experience and a RHD, and the assistant GMs suggesting Lovejoy as a target. In contrast, Winnik (or Perron) seemed like a target that Rutherford had personally wanted for a while.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I am not implying that Rutherford shouldn't be held responsible for all the trades that he made or that the assistant GMs were scheming behind his back.

The Lovejoy scenario seemed much more like Rutherford wanting more experience and a RHD, and the assistant GMs suggesting Lovejoy as a target. In contrast, Winnik (or Perron) seemed like a target that Rutherford had personally wanted for a while.

They're typical JR trades. Gets a guy in his head that he wants and doesn't worry about the cost. That Canes guy who's been spamming the board all year about how bad JR is...one of his major issues was that JR always thinks he's some irrelevant fringe move from being a cup contender when he's not.

The AGMs probably did like Lovejoy. They probably did dislike Despres.

But the decision to trade one for the other--and nothing else--is a total Rutherford move, just like trading a 2nd and a 3rd to rent a freaking third line wing is pure JR.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
They're typical JR trades. Gets a guy in his head that he wants and doesn't worry about the cost. That Canes guy who's been spamming the board all year about how bad JR is...one of his major issues was that JR always thinks he's some irrelevant fringe move from being a cup contender when he's not.

But the decision to trade one for the other is a total Rutherford move, just like trading a 2nd and a 3rd to rent a freaking third line wing is pure JR.

No disagreement at all about Rutherford or his approach to trading.

It just seems like certain trade targets were long-standing Pens targets and players that the assistant GMs would be familiar with (Hornqvist and Lovejoy) while others seem like Rutherford was more personally invested (Winnik and Perron).

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh

But the decision to trade one for the other--and nothing else--is a total Rutherford move, just like trading a 2nd and a 3rd to rent a freaking third line wing is pure JR.

I don't think he has any reason to lie. What does he need to save face for? His next job after this? No, everyone knew that 1) this would be his last stop, and 2) he was only going to be here two years max. So do you think the org would give him absolute say when everyone knew he was just a glorified placeholder? I mean, don't get me wrong, almost nothing would surprise me about the Pens at this point, but even that is stretching it for me.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
I don't think Rossi has ever gotten any Twitter feedback on his articles that isn't a personal insult. Certainly someone out there can type a rational response. Very ugly sideshow he's created.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
This is an embarrassment from the.media to the team to the city.

I seriously wonder if rossi is having some kind of breakdown in his personal life, maybe substance abuse issues? Over the last year he went from just a clueless beat writer to a psycho with his own made up agenda.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
Fantastic popcorn fight breaking out in DKs Twitter about the whole Rossi fiasco,mwith MM and Paul Zeise. Not a tirade and barely audible per DK.
What a hack this Rossi is.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
To the poster that mentioned Garth Snow became a solid GM: It was after several years of mistakes and failure. We can't afford to go through all that with Guerin or anyone else inexperienced.

Mischa

Feb 11, 2012

a bit weird of a thing to do on twitter....

Last edited:

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
I don't think Rossi has ever gotten any Twitter feedback on his articles that isn't a personal insult. Certainly someone out there can type a rational response. Very ugly sideshow he's created.

Not exactly a sideshow anymore.
The story's gone national. It's got legs and it knows how to use them !

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
I think Dejan is the one losing his mind. His tweets don't even make sense

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm confused and my work firewall blocks tweets. Dejan suggests Rossi made it all up? Or at least blew it all out of proportion? Where do Jesse and ColePens come into play?

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Not exactly a sideshow anymore.
The story's gone national. It's got legs and it knows how to use them !

Yup ... In addition to the Puck Daddy article I posted in the other thread, the story's been picked up by Sportsnet and TSN.

Slow day during the playoffs, I guess :laugh:

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
Yup ... In addition to the Puck Daddy article I posted in the other thread, the story's been picked up by Sportsnet and TSN.

Slow day during the playoffs, I guess :laugh:

great news. no matter who is right or who is wrong the more the penguins look like a clown college in the hockey world the harder to spin the organization as some masters of messaging, branding, and marketing. if you dont think you have a model organization maybe you enact some changes to try and become one

Get To Our Game

May 31, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm confused and my work firewall blocks tweets. Dejan suggests Rossi made it all up? Or at least blew it all out of proportion? Where do Jesse and ColePens come into play?

Raw text of some of Dejan's tweets:

For the record, anyone portraying some Rutherford tirade is flat-out wrong. I was next-closest person and could barely hear him 5 feet away.
This was a conversation being held between two people clearly intended to be exactly that. Portraying the GM as vocally blowing up is a lie.
Larger issue here: One media outlet in town has a major hatchet out for one of the teams it covers. That's a real problem.
And I actually can't believe it took @Penguins this long to act on it. Impossible to defend things that are pure fiction day after day.
I hate talking about stuff like this in public. But watching this thing turn against the people targeted all year long with lies ... wow.

DK is now saying that it's a shame that Yohe is involved in this at all, he's quality, he should come work for Dejan, etc.

As for Jesse, I don't think he's very involved beyond the fact that the Pensblog came out with a post that said that JR will be let go at the end of the year and replaced by Guerin. Also implied that DK is fed information by Burkle. Somebody asked if the info was legit, and Jesse (who has been writing for them) basically said "They did their due diligence."

No idea if there's more to it or where Cole comes in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino