Pittsburgh Sports Media Gibberish: Bombulie ‎to restore order @ the Trib

Status
Not open for further replies.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
hahaha this organization is so screwy, it's genuinely funny to watch this team operate. and i don't mean that in a demeaning way. this level of incompetence would be just harmless fun, if only they weren't wasting sid and geno. that's the only part that bothers me about the team's struggles.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Botterill probably feels like Gamora during that scene she's like "I am going to die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." or something to that extent.

I feel bad for the guy and Fitzgerald. Fitzy is probably just there to collect a cheque and be close to home always, Botterill legit wants to be a GM but is probably regretting staying.

It just can't be real.

I feel like taking a sabbatical from this team and not following them closely for a year, maybe I'll be a Sabres fan for the year, Bylsma is a familiar face, I know what to expect with him, where Gionta will get top minutes and Eichel will be the best 4th liner around.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It's really just kind of funny, at this point. Even amid all of the criticism and scorn I've thrown at the team... there is a part of me that keeps saying "Well... these guys are still professionals. They've still been in the business a long time. They still at least understand the basic framework of their job better than I likely ever will."

Nope. Didn't JR attend a friggin' GM meeting about this? Was he asleep? He basically just came out and said there that he didn't know how this rule worked, exactly. And that they didn't really feel the need to pursue it until everyone else started to, anyway. So... they're lazy, cowardly AND stupid? Terrific.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
JR has some work to do to justify him sticking around, but I'm failing to see how something like this is worth spitting in his face over.

It's pretty obvious there was some serious grey area on this. They wanted to be rid of DB and Shero's salaries, period. They didn't want a team backing out over a draft pick compensation.

It's not your money. It's ownership's. For all we know, that was priority #1 for JR.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's really just kind of funny, at this point. Even amid all of the criticism and scorn I've thrown at the team... there is a part of me that keeps saying "Well... these guys are still professionals. They've still been in the business a long time. They still at least understand the basic framework of their job better than I likely ever will."

Nope. Didn't JR attend a friggin' GM meeting about this? Was he asleep? He basically just came out and said there that he didn't know how this rule worked, exactly. And that they didn't really feel the need to pursue it until everyone else started to, anyway. So... they're lazy, cowardly AND stupid? Terrific.

It's kind of surprising that he's allowed to speak with the media as often as he is. Seems like every time he opens his mouth, he's blowing the doors off of issues that the team probably wants to keep under wraps, haha.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
JR has some work to do to justify him sticking around, but I'm failing to see how something like this is worth spitting in his face over.

It's pretty obvious there was some serious grey area on this. They wanted to be rid of DB and Shero's salaries, period. They didn't want a team backing out over a draft pick compensation.

It's not your money. It's ownership's. For all we know, that was priority #1 for JR.

See McHurt's post.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011

Nailed it!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I get what you mean, mpp. At this point... I'm really trying my best to not freak out over every single little thing the team does that is perceived as "stupid." I understand that there are things we don't know. I get that some decisions that look dumb on the surface are much more complex than we'll likely ever understand. And yeah... I realize that it's easy to talk about spending loads of other people's money and all that.

But unless I am BADLY misinterpreting things... this is the GM basically saying "Well... I didn't really understand the rule, to be honest. And that seemed alright because I never really intended to pursue it, anyway -- but those other pesky GMs really piqued my curiosity! Have I mentioned how badly we need draft picks?"

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
:laugh:

I just want to point out that this is an example of why most people here are so "negative." It isn't because we are negative people or because we enjoy it, it is because incompetence is destroying us one golly-gee mistake at a time.

It is so damn frustrating.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I get what you mean, mpp. At this point... I'm really trying my best to not freak out over every single little thing the team does that is perceived as "stupid." I understand that there are things we don't know. I get that some decisions that look dumb on the surface are much more complex than we'll likely ever understand. And yeah... I realize that it's easy to talk about spending loads of other people's money and all that.

But unless I am BADLY misinterpreting things... this is the GM basically saying "Well... I didn't really understand the rule, to be honest. And that seemed alright because I never really intended to pursue it, anyway -- but those other pesky GMs really piqued my curiosity! Have I mentioned how badly we need draft picks?"

I'm not disagreeing that JR is putting his foot in his mouth over the Despres comments again and again, and now with the pick compensation, but that's JR. He talks alot and doesn't hide much. He's bound to say something this board will freak out over.

I'm far more concerned with his plan this offseason for addressing our forward needs without giving up the rest of this team's future.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I get that, too. That's also my main concern.

But... don't you see how they are connected? This is something the team and especially the GM should have been on top of. Especially considering they had both Shero and Bylsma on the payroll and as prime candidates to apply this rule to.

If they can't be trusted to have something like that in order... it does little to engender feelings of confidence that they can handle re-building this team into a legitimate contender, again. Which is much harder than understanding a rule regarding draft pick compensation. If it was unclear to them... they should have sought clarification, like... weeks ago. It just smacks of laziness and incompetence.

Oh well. Just along for the ride, anymore. I really sort of just expect anything, now. Like I said... at least I'm at the point where I just have to kind of laugh about it. Half-bitterly... but... yeah.

SwordofStMichael

Apr 4, 2013
It's kind of surprising that he's allowed to speak with the media as often as he is. Seems like every time he opens his mouth, he's blowing the doors off of issues that the team probably wants to keep under wraps, haha.
Mackey said on TribLiveRadio a few weeks ago, with Ken Laird and Guy Junker, that basically he can call JR any time, usually once a week or so, to check in and have a 10-15 minute conversation both on & off the record.

By the way is TribLiveRadio is great for all kinds of inside info cause the beat reporters feel more comfortable rambling and going off on a tangent on an internet show, run by their own newspaper, as opposed to on traditional corporate radio.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
There has been confusion in NHL circles about where exactly fired coaches/executives fit into all this if they remain under contract.

The initial explanation I was given from someone in the know was that if a coach/executive was fired, even if still under contract, the team in question did not qualify for draft pick compensation from the team hiring the fired person. That was also what most team executives I had spoken with thought.

However, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly, who authored the memo on this, told ESPN.com Monday that for coaches, general managers or presidents of hockey operations who are fired but remain under contract, their teams are privy to draft pick compensation if they choose to pursue it.

But the team can also waive the draft pick compensation if it wants, Daly said.

It looks like it wasn't just JR, but most team execs thought the same. I get thinking JR is a dummy, but he's clearly not the only one out there who thought so. The rule was worded too broadly.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/...compensation-for-fired-coaches-gms-executives

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
The pessimists on this board were 100%

Pens management is rotten to the core - like you said, can't make this **** up

It's a comedy of errors every single ****ing day with this team of losers. The smartest guy in the room is probably the intern from Duquesne who takes the Starbucks order for JR and company

Good job Mario - you've assembled a management team that is among the worst in the entire league. That's impressive.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Jesus. God forbid the Pens should take the lead in ****ing anything.

I think he was trying to take the lead in exercising the spirit of the rule rather than exploiting the technicalities of it.

I actually agree with JR on principle. Being compensated with draft picks for firing personnel is utter ********.

Last edited:

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
JR's philosophy is to play nice.. buy high, sell low.. it's a great recipe for success. Right?

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think he was trying to take the lead in exercising the spirit of the rule rather than the technicalities of it.

I actually agree with JR in principle. Being compensated with draft picks for firing personnel is utter ********.

Yeah, being compensated for fired staff is ridiculous.

I'm guessing he assumed people wouldn't act on it, "like offer sheets," but once other teams did it, it was no longer an issue.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I mean, it's an absolutely stupid rule to be compensated for a guy you fired. But if it's there, take advantage of it. Especially considering the situation we're in.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think he was trying to take the lead in exercising the spirit of the rule rather than exploiting the technicalities of it.

I actually agree with JR in principle. Being compensated with draft picks for firing personnel is utter ********.

Considering that's what everyone else was doing, I don't think that qualifies as especially trailblazing. Or praiseworthy.

Whatever you think of the rule in principle, it exists, and we should be looking for every opportunity to exploit rules to our advantage, on and off the ice. The loophole which allowed signing players to ridiculously long contracts that artificially lowered their cap hits was dumb too, but the Hawks sure have benefited from having Hossa and Keith signed for >11 mil per the last 5 years.

Our GM operates like he's trying to win the executive Lady Byng Trophy. But with friends who trade us Lovejoy for Despres, who needs enemies?

Last edited:

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I don't care how ******** the rule is, if it's there and it can help us then ****ing do it! Don't take the high-road only to step off of it right away after some other team was smart enough to use it. After seeing how many draft picks JR has flushed away in just one season, we can use every pick we can get.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
not that this draft pick compensation situation is particularly important but it's just another example of this organization's misteps. the pens used to be among the premier teams in the league, and while they might not universally be perceived as the laughing stock of the league like i think they deserve, it's safe to say the luster has worn off the pittsburgh penguins.

as they make more and more dumb moves and are eliminated from the playoffs earlier and earlier each year, i wonder when one of the individuals in the crosby camp will start to seriously question whether he should remain with this team. i don't think it will be sid's idea initially, but at least one person in his camp already doesn't have a favorable view of this organization.

putting it another way, let's say the pens lose in the first round for each of the next two years, largely because of the lame supporting cast. the bad moves outweighs the good, as has been the case for the past few years. a few gross miscalculations akin to the despres move sprinkled in there. altogether a fairly likely scenario. do we seriously expect sid to stick with this team? same holds true for malkin though i don't know who is in his camp and how they feel about things.

if you are a superstar with just a few years left in your prime, do you really want to play for an organization that is clearly trending downward purely because of incompetence and arrogance? that's the scenario both sid and geno are facing now. people can cite loyalty but i don't think this organization deserves loyalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad