GDT: Pittsburgh Penguins v Nashville Predators | 15/11/13 @ 7:00pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'm not a huge fan of taking fighting out of the game.

If someone does something dirty in a game, the dirty hit and nasty stickwork retaliation will ramp up in place of the fisticuffs.

I'd rather a player get injured from willingly dropping the gloves, instead of said player running around playing dirty and injuring no one in particular. Just anyone who has a different jersey on.

For me, it's pretty simple. If you don't want to fight and possibly get hurt, then don't drop the gloves. Theres rules to protect you.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
What would be great is if the league did away with the stupid / pointless fights (penalized it more harshly) and for the stuff that actually is policing (i.e. player taken to task immediately after a dirty play), let 'em go. Those are usually the best fights anyway.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I agree the game would be better without fighting but it requires the league to do a much more consistent and stringent job of reffing / nipping the dirty stuff in the bud and sending players off before stuff escalates. But all this nonsense about letting players police themselves... 80% of the time fights have nothing to do with policing anything. It's just two guys "trying to get their team fired up". That's a BS excuse for a fight in professional sports.

Pretty much, and this league is way too inconsistent to handle getting rid of fighting. We've also seen that the self-policing is stupidly biased which just makes it dangerous.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
That wasn't one of those staged fights, it was the result of a good hit. I'm fine with those kind of fights.

I just don't see why every big clean hit needs to lead to a fight. Why not hit the guy back? I just imagine a guy with an upset ego challenging a guy to a fight just to save face.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I just honestly believe that fighting is a relic that is not part of where the game has grown to.

Seeing something like that is not worth whatever good remains relevant from it.

If that makes me dickless so be it.

Nah, I kind of agree.

I was the guy twenty years ago making fight tapes and passing them around with my friends and cheering every time there was a scrap on the ice.

Now, although I believe that a spontaneous fight is bound to happen now and then due to the speed and intensity of the game, I would not be upset if I never saw another fight again.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
96ksk1.jpg

Fighting is glorious.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Our understanding of brain injuries has grown a lot recently. It used to be awesome to see a guy get knocked the **** out, now you imagine him in 15 years having serious difficulties living a day to day life or worse, having it end tragically. Not cool.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
What do you think a concussion is?

I've had one. Took me 14 months to get over it, worst thing I've ever dealt with in my life. Don't ask me if I know what a concussion is.

This is what happened to Nystrom. It's from a MMA fight. Same exact spots.

bingobangobongo

Jun 14, 2010
It's ironic that the league is so adamant that players keep their helmets on before fights that Nystrom got hurt because he lost spacial awareness of Glass in part because his helmet was hanging on. He would have been better off helmetless.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I've had one. Took me 14 months to get over it, worst thing I've ever dealt with in my life. Don't ask me if I know what a concussion is.

This is what happened to Nystrom. It's from a MMA fight. Same exact spots.

I had strep throat once. I wouldn't trust me to diagnose it.

if someone gets knocked out and gets dizzy from being punched in the head, there is a decent chance they have a concussion. Maybe not every time, but often enough that there's no way you can say with any sort of certainty that Nystrom didn't just get concussed.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007
Our understanding of brain injuries has grown a lot recently. It used to be awesome to see a guy get knocked the **** out, now you imagine him in 15 years having serious difficulties living a day to day life or worse, having it end tragically. Not cool.

Maybe guys worried about their long term health shouldn't fight? Maybe they shouldn't play the game at all. I'm sure there are a lot more concussions due to cheap hits, elbows, etc than from fighting. Like Dalton said, 'there's always barber college'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad