Essex

200px-Nashville_Predators_Logo_%282011%29.svg.png
@
200px-Pittsburgh_Penguins_logo.svg.png

Nashville Predators v Pittsburgh Penguins

PREDATORS (8-8-2) at PENGUINS (11-7-0)

TV: SPSO, ROOT

Last 10: Nashville 4-5-1; Pittsburgh 4-6-0

Season series: This is the first of two games between the Nashville Predators and the Pittsburgh Penguins. In their most recent matchup, on March 22, 2012, James Neal set up four goals -- two by Evgeni Malkin -- in a 5-1 win by the Penguins at Consol Energy Center.

Big story: This is the finale of a seven-game road trip for the Predators, who started out 2-0-1 but have lost their past three in regulation by a combined 13-1 score.

"Maybe we got a little overconfident and [got] a dose of reality in the last three games," forward Eric Nystrom told NHL.com on an off day Wednesday. "We just have to get back to playing our style of hockey."

The Penguins are in a slump of their own. They've lost three in a row and their lead in the Metropolitan Division is down to one point over the Washington Capitals.

Team Scope:

Predators: Two bright spots to come out of a 3-1 loss to the New York Islanders on Tuesday were the play of goalie Marek Mazanec, who stopped 30 shots in his first NHL start, and a Patric Hornqvist goal with 5:30 left in regulation. It was the first scored by Nashville in 174 minutes, 48 seconds, following consecutive 5-0 defeats to the Winnipeg Jets and New Jersey Devils.

"To finally get that goal was huge for us," Nystrom told NHL.com. "Even though it was meaningless, to know that we can do it and score definitely boosted our morale."

The Predators made a minor transaction Thursday, recalling Filip Forsberg from the American Hockey League and reassigning Taylor Beck.

Penguins: At the start of the season, Pittsburgh seemed to be the only team in the Metropolitan able to win games on a regular basis. The Penguins have come back to the pack, however, a trend which continued with their 2-1 loss on home ice Wednesday to the rival Philadelphia Flyers.

Despite generating their fair share of chances, putting 31 shots on Flyers goalie Ray Emery, the Penguins were limited to a second-period power-play goal by Sidney Crosby. Malkin drew his 13th assist on the play, giving him six in his past five games, but his goal drought extended to 11 consecutive games and he only has three for the season.

"Just because you do have a good start doesn't guarantee anything, whether you score or don't score. You have to execute throughout the entire game," Crosby said. "Would it be nice to get rewarded? Absolutely, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way. I think we have deserved better with the starts we have had, but are we accepting it? No. I don't think we are accepting the fact that we are missing and we are just kind of saying we deserve better, it'll eventually happen. We have to execute and that is up to us but, that part is a big part of it."

Nashville Predators
Colin Wilson - Nick Spaling - Viktor Stalberg
Eric Nystrom - Matt Cullen - Craig Smith
Matt Hendricks - David Legwand - Patric Hornqvist (A)
Rich Clune - Paul Gaustad - Taylor Beck

Seth Jones - Shea Weber (C)
Roman Josi - Kevin Klein
Mattias Ekholm - Ryan Ellis

Pittsburgh Penguins
Chris Kunitz - Sidney Crosby (C) - Pascal Dupuis
James Neal - Evgeni Malkin (A) - Beau Bennett
Jussi Jokinen - Brandon Sutter - Matt D'Agostini
Tanner Glass - Joe Vitale - Craig Adams

Brooks Orpik (A) - Paul Martin
Oli Maatta - Kris Letang
Matt Niskanen - Robert Bortuzzo

[size=+2][glow=black]Team Leaders[/size][/glow]
large.png
||
large.png

Crosby 9|GOALS| Hornqvist 5
Crosby 15|ASSISTS| Legwand 11
Crosby 24|POINTS| Legwand 15
Kunitz + 12|PLUS MINUS| Hornqvist, Ellis 0
Tanner Glass 29|PIM|Clune 47​

i
V
8476992.jpg

2.07 GAA - 10-5-0 & .921% V 2.75 GAA - 0-1-0 & .912

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Annoyingly Mazanec doesn't have an ESPN profile headshot like Fleury does. So it looks kind've odd.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I'd usually expect the Penguins to dominate the Preds, especially without Rinne in net, but with the lack of results lately I just don't know.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm thinking the Pens win this one. They score a goal early and keep the momentum through out the game. Then they think "we finally got a bounce, see we were just unlucky, all is well in Penguinland".

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
wow. how does nashville score goals? i read somewhere earlier that filip forsberg was recalled, perhaps we get to see a player shero could have drafted?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I've never heard of the goalie we're facing...shutout incoming.

I'd like to think this is the medicine that we desperately need, but with this team right now...

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
Wanna see a big game from Sutsy and Sidsey tonight. I want 5-7 poke-checks from Orpsie, and some hits maybe if I'm good.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
The Preds scored more ES goals than the Pens in the last 3 games...

That's both :laugh: & :cry:

Two teams that have 1 even-strength goal in their last 6 games combined, to go with 4 overall.

I expect a 6-4 game.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Also Forsberg will score a goal to add the consternation around these parts.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
That's both :laugh: & :cry:

Two teams that have 1 even-strength goal in their last 6 games combined, to go with 4 overall.

I expect a 6-4 game.

Penguinz Hokey!

TBF, the Pens almost had an ES goal against the Flyers, but Kunitz Kunitz'd. IIRC Dupuis also had nothing to do with the play. :laugh:

How many PP goals = 1 ES goal?

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
lol maybe that just means this is where they end the streak

Our seven game road trip ends against you guys and the next home game is against the Hawks which is always a rowdy game. I think we come out flat once more and take a surprising W from the Hawks tomorrow night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad