Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap - Wakin' up too early

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I just don't know where exactly we'll fit in with that group of teams. While we should be optimistic and encouraged by what we're seeing, we haven't really played many high quality opponents from the east. I believe we're 2-2-2 against the Isles, Leafs, Lightning and Bruins thus far. Not exactly impressive. Albeit we've been ravaged by injury.

We dominated the Bruins, although they were injured at the time and at the end of the game we allowed the goals for them to beat us. We have a great record vs the Western top dogs I am sure we will be fine vs the best of the East with how we play. We have been one of the best teams since Xmas and look who we are missing? I don't think this roster will take a step off when we get healthy, they will keep on doing what they have been doing all season unlike other rosters that stop when the healthy bodies come back.

Give us Saad-Crosby-Wilson, Kahun-Malkin-Rust as our top 6 and we will be fine, especially with Tanev and Hornqvist in the bottom 6 with their no quit attitude.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Would you really keel over in shock and go "Omg! They won with two scoring lines and by being stingy! Nobody's done that in two years!" if it turned out it still worked?

Yes. Just like I would be shocked if a team won by being slow and physical ala LA from 2012 and 2014.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Saw in the Zucker thread 1st and Legare, Galchenyuk
Saad thread Pulin for Saad at 3M (50% retention)

If we go deep...

Saad-Crosby-Zucker
Jake-Malkin-Rust

I just came.

Best Pens team of the Crosby/Malkin era. ;)

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Hey if you can roll with that top 6 for 1 or 2 playoffs you do it IMO. Steep or not. Go all out this year and see what can go and what can stay when we need raises to Marino, MM, Kahun, McCann, etc.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Saw in the Zucker thread 1st and Legare, Galchenyuk
Saad thread Pulin for Saad at 3M (50% retention)

If we go deep...

Saad-Crosby-Zucker
Jake-Malkin-Rust

I just came.

Best Pens team of the Crosby/Malkin era. ;)

I just always want to say... best teams on paper don't mean shit. Ask Tampa. It's good to have hungry guys who are battling. I understand we need to fill the role in for Jake, but I do not want names. I want fit.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I just always want to say... best teams on paper don't mean ****. Ask Tampa. It's good to have hungry guys who are battling. I understand we need to fill the role in for Jake, but I do not want names. I want fit.

They both fit and I know it's not all about the names you have, just got greedy. We realistically only go for 1 of them anyway and while I want Zucker Saad is probably the better choice. Also after this season is over we gotta worry about raises for MM, Jarry, Marino, Lafferty, McCann, Kahun so Saad at 3M is a better buy.

Reactions: ColePens

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I just always want to say... best teams on paper don't mean ****. Ask Tampa. It's good to have hungry guys who are battling. I understand we need to fill the role in for Jake, but I do not want names. I want fit.

True. But really, it's the current squad + Saad-Sid-Zucker. I don't see the current squad pulling a Tampa. I don't see Sid letting his line pull a Tampa. I think the leadership and quality of character on this team is higher than that of Tampa last year, no offense to Stammer.

I think Saad, Zucker, and possibly Kreider, stylistically are the "fits". Toffoli...meh but I'd try for the right price.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We dominated the Bruins, although they were injured at the time and at the end of the game we allowed the goals for them to beat us. We have a great record vs the Western top dogs I am sure we will be fine vs the best of the East with how we play. We have been one of the best teams since Xmas and look who we are missing? I don't think this roster will take a step off when we get healthy, they will keep on doing what they have been doing all season unlike other rosters that stop when the healthy bodies come back.

Give us Saad-Crosby-Wilson, Kahun-Malkin-Rust as our top 6 and we will be fine, especially with Tanev and Hornqvist in the bottom 6 with their no quit attitude.
We've been one of the best teams but again there are a lot of good teams we haven't faced much yet. I think we need to see how it plays out. We're not gonna keep this pace up, it would be unrealistic to believe we can. I just hope we hold our own in the 14 games I mentioned.

Reactions: 66-30-33 and Andy99

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I’ll tell you what...if Chicago wants Poulin...
Galchenyuk + 1st + Poulin for Patrick Kane with $2 mil retained...
They're not getting a 1st + Poulin, not gonna happen. A 1st? Yes, maybe an additional +? Yes, probably. But not anything significant. Some of these assertions must be emanating from crazy town!

Reactions: Andy99

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Bjugstad put up his best #s on Barkov's wing ... just sayin'.

Barkov on one side, Huberdeau on the other so...

Malkin-Sid-Bjugstad...he may put up good numbers as well.

With Crosby back, are the Penguins among the favorites in the East? - TheHockeyNews

lmao...speaking about our contender status or lack thereof, these guys say we’re not a contender because we’re either going out in a sweep again in the first round or we’re going to win the Cup...when did The Hockey News become so bad?

Was the injury to Jake or his potential replacement considered?

With that, THN is garbage. And not regular garbage, but the New Jersey / New York heavy accident garbage where is sounds like they are saying cabbage.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think a deal for Zucker centers around Bjugstad. It was said Billy really liked him when they started talking to Florida. I could see a team like LA coming forward and taking Galchenyuk and a pick/prospect for Toffoli. I cannot see a team offering a 1st for him like some have suggested.

How many deadlines have we seen? Guys never fetch what everyone thinks.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
They're not getting a 1st + Poulin, not gonna happen. A 1st? Yes, maybe an additional +? Yes, probably. But not anything significant. Some of these assertions must be emanating from crazy town!

People here for some reason want to give up our first and best prospects for the likes of Saad and Zucker, basically 45 point players who are solid and give us another Kahun (who has the same production) but for $5-6 mil a year...I don’t get it...hopefully either JR goes for better at that price or we don’t spend that price on middle 6 players...

Reactions: OswaldBates

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Was the injury to Jake or his potential replacement considered?

With that, THN is garbage. And not regular garbage, but the New Jersey / New York heavy accident garbage where is sounds like they are saying cabbage.

Not really...they mentioned Jake going down, along with the other injuries...nothing about possible trades...one of their points was to argue 1) either all of this adversity makes us a team of destiny or 2) we’ve had this adversity too early in the season and it will be hard to keep the emotion and fight going for another three months..

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
People here for some reason want to give up our first and best prospects for the likes of Saad and Zucker, basically 45 point players who are solid and give us another Kahun (who has the same production) but for $5-6 mil a year...I don’t get it...hopefully either JR goes for better at that price or we don’t spend that price on middle 6 players...
A 2020 first rounder for one of these guys is completely reasonable IMO. I hate to even part with that TBTH. But due to the JG injury it's completely understandable that we'll look to somewhat fill that void. At least for the regular season. I can see us add a much lesser asset in such a deal. I think that's fair. But I believe that's the best these types of players will bring back. Rentals even less.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Not really...they mentioned Jake going down, along with the other injuries...nothing about possible trades...one of their points was to argue 1) either all of this adversity makes us a team of destiny or 2) we’ve had this adversity too early in the season and it will be hard to keep the emotion and fight going for another three months..

Do they write fortune cookie messages as well?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Surprised it wasn't the classic "The Penguins have no defense" argument. I laugh when our defense one year was:

Orpik-Letang
Martin-Michalek
Maatta-Niskanen

or something like that and we lose and it was "The Penguins have no defense" when we barely scored in the loses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad