Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap - Wakin' up too early

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
“ZAR”

tenor.gif

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
So if Gally/Bjugs and prospects/picks are used to bring in Zucker and Toffoli, in my estimation they would still have approx. $1.2 in cap space (with Czucman, Blandisi and Aggozino all sent down), and would still be able to put Guentzel and his $6 on LTIR.

Zucker Crosby Toffoli
Kahun Malkin Rust
Simon McCann Hornqvist
Reese Blueger Tanev
Lafferty
?

Last edited:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Where is the Toffoli is Pearson narrative coming from?

Other than being Kings?

Toffoli has historically been both a better producer and a better possession guy (by far possession wise)

Just seems lazy

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think Toffoli was a great player and seems to be having a great year, but I’m really unimpressed with LA and how checked out they are.

How is his skating?

I haven’t paid attention to him in years, but he was a Guentzel level skater during the Kings last cup run.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
How is his skating?

I haven’t paid attention to him in years, but he was a Guentzel level skater during the Kings last cup run.
Saying he's a Guentzel level skater is an insult to Jake Guentzel and I think you should apologize.

It’s been a couple years since I followed him closely, but if he’s like the guy I used to watch he could have an Oshie like effect for the Pens.

Oshie is faster than Toffoli.

Reactions: Riptide

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Saying he's a Guentzel level skater is an insult to Jake Guentzel and I think you should apologize.

Guentzel has always had a wonky stride and his stops and starts weren’t exactly explosive.

Did someone lick off all of Toffoli‘s toes in the last couple years or wha?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Guentzel has always had a wonky stride and his stops and starts weren’t exactly explosive.

Did someone lick off all of Toffoli‘s toes in the last couple years or wha?
Jake has gotten better with his stride since then but Toffoli just sort of stagnated because of the style the Kings play didn't need him to be fast, he just needed to rely on his shooting and puck possession which he is good at, I am not saying he isn't. BUT keeping up with this team, yeah that would be so bad I almost want it for the people that are going off about me being wrong just so I can say told you so. And if I am wrong, cool, I am wrong.

But seeing a few Kings games, Toffoli isn't really improved in that area.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
They're going to give Galchenyuk-Crosby-Bjugstad a chance to work before they make a move, aren't they?

I think the way to go is to find a fast 2nd-3rd line tweener who we might be able to get relatively cheap, then a guy from the wishlist (Zucker, Tatar, Palmieri, Kreider).

I've seen a lot of people mentioning Craig Smith. I'd definitely prefer him to Toffoli if the price was right.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Guentzel picked a good year to get injured with all these decent, in their prime wingers available this season.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Jake has gotten better with his stride since then but Toffoli just sort of stagnated because of the style the Kings play didn't need him to be fast, he just needed to rely on his shooting and puck possession which he is good at, I am not saying he isn't. BUT keeping up with this team, yeah that would be so bad I almost want it for the people that are going off about me being wrong just so I can say told you so. And if I am wrong, cool, I am wrong.

But seeing a few Kings games, Toffoli isn't really improved in that area.

It’s been a couple years so I can’t speak accurately about his skating now, but he could never motor... had no issues keeping up though.

Oshie had a similar bad rap of being a bad skater in St Louis and came over to the Caps at about the same age Toffoli is now and has had the best years of his career there (unfortunately).

I’m not saying he’s the main guy I want, but if JR can swing a couple deals and get Toffoli on the cheap, I suspect he will have a big resurgence with the Pens.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
They're going to give Galchenyuk-Crosby-Bjugstad a chance to work before they make a move, aren't they?

Sid would hang himself before he’d play on that line...can you imagine? I expect that’s a joke...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It’s been a couple years so I can’t speak accurately about his skating now, but he could never motor... had no issues keeping up though.

Oshie had a similar bad rap of being a bad skater in St Louis and came over to the Caps at about the same age Toffoli is now and has had the best years of his career there (unfortunately).

I’m not saying he’s the main guy I want, but if JR can swing a couple deals and get Toffoli on the cheap, I suspect he will have a big resurgence with the Pens.
That cup win was when the NHL was trending towards big and heavy because of the Hawks and Kings winning with that style, it was when ass clowns like Bickell, Brouwer, Lucic, etc were all the rage.

Then the NHL started to trend towards speed thanks to the Penguins back 2 backs and that's when you really saw how slow some of these f***ers were and how many got phased out.

Oshie was a choppy skater, but he had great balance and was still an above average skater, he was more Perron than he was Toffoli with his stride, as in he had another gear but never really bothered to use it because of the style at the time. Blues moved him and you really got to see that he wasn't that bad of a skater, not great, but not bad either.

Toffoli, there's a lot of movement but the dude doesn't get anywhere any faster.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think I'd pass on Tatar. Not for what @Empoleon8771 is worried about (him flopping due to the LV experience), but because of the cost. He had 25g/58pt last season and is on pace for 29g/69pts this year. He has a 4.8m cap hit for 1.5 seasons. Getting him would be EXPENSIVE.

I'd rather go for Saad or Zucker because even if they don't succeed offensively (say 50pts+) the rest of their game is sound enough that it's not crippling AND because I think both will be significantly cheaper to acquire then Tatar.

Someone also asked if Minny is 'selling', why aren't they selling Brodin? Because A) I don't actually think they're "selling". As Emp has mentioned, they have a lot of LWs/LHSs and need room for that young Russian winger that's apparently coming over for next fall. And B) reportedly Guerin loves Brodin. Same reason why Guerin might have interest in Bjugstad - apparently he was really pushing for him to come to PIT and is a big fan. Sure we'd be adding, but despite the very low opinion many posters seem to have of Bjugstad, I strongly suspect that his value is a lot higher then what people think.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I think the way to go is to find a fast 2nd-3rd line tweener who we might be able to get relatively cheap, then a guy from the wishlist (Zucker, Tatar, Palmieri, Kreider).

I've seen a lot of people mentioning Craig Smith. I'd definitely prefer him to Toffoli if the price was right.

I don't think they're deliberately giving it a chance to work, I just don't think they're close enough to the deadline for people to start making their minds up yet and send in the fax.

Although a very close league might get some guys to start moving early.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Bjugstad to Minnesota is fine, but I don't think the Pens get Zucker when that deal goes down.

I'd rather try to pry Donato from them.

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
Should there be concern about how Zucker will play after his leg injury?

Trading a first for Zucker should seem worrisome correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad