Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: Time is Relevant and Empty Arenas are Wormholes

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Zucker has played RW in the past regularly.

The point I made about the Sheary trade was with Jake being injured. With the unexpected delay that trade looks absolutely awful.

No he hasn't, because he generally hasn't been good when he plays there. He was almost exclusively LW at all times for the Wild.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'd say the idea behind it is more that Guentzel-Malkin-Rust was obliterating teams and Zucker-Crosby was scoring well. Zucker hasn't really played with Malkin, so they'd be going into the playoffs cold.

That, and making Malkin's line so good that the opposition has to give it their best defensive units leaves Crosby and company to feast on what's left.

Jake isn't playing with Geno. Doesn't matter. Strategically, it could put teams in one hell of a bind in terms of matchups, but it's not happening. I tend to think Zucker will be with Jake-Sid and L2 will be Marleau-Geno-Rust, thus limiting the consequences of having to put 2nd units out defensively against Geno-Rust.

All of that said, IF L2 is Zucker-Geno-Rust, then I expect it to flourish. Geno has always played well with Rust in his natural position. Not sure why he wouldn't play well with two of them.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Jake isn't playing with Geno. Doesn't matter. Strategically, it could put teams in one hell of a bind in terms of matchups, but it's not happening. I tend to think Zucker will be with Jake-Sid and L2 will be Marleau-Geno-Rust

Let's hope not.

Reactions: KIRK

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Uh yes, are you joking me? Do you remember the 2017 and 2018 playoffs? Do you remember Guentzel being a 40 goal scorer with Crosby in 2018-2019?

Yes, they were amazing.

But Guentzel's been every bit as productive with Malkin, his last stretch in particular.

Guentzel's outstanding with each of our superstar centers.

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Jake isn't playing with Geno. Doesn't matter. Strategically, it could put teams in one hell of a bind in terms of matchups, but it's not happening. I tend to think Zucker will be with Jake-Sid and L2 will be Marleau-Geno-Rust, thus limiting the consequences of having to put 2nd units out defensively against Geno-Rust.

All of that said, IF L2 is Zucker-Geno-Rust, then I expect it to flourish. Geno has always played well with Rust in his natural position. Not sure why he wouldn't play well with two of them.

I really hope Marleau is not a permanent fixture on L2...his hands aren’t good enough anymore...better to swap Sheary/Horny next to Sid and let Zucker play with Geno at least...

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Yeah you're probably right. It just seems like something they'd do. Dumb. Hasn't Geno said in the past that Marleau is a favorite of his, league-wide? Way before they traded for him. Dunno why that is tickling the edges of my brainpan.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah you're probably right. It just seems like something they'd do. Dumb. Hasn't Geno said in the past that Marleau is a favorite of his, league-wide? Way before they traded for him. Dunno why that is tickling the edges of my brainpan.

yes, he wrote in a Player’s Tribune piece that Marleau was his favorite or best or most underrated player or something like that...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yes, they were amazing.

But Guentzel's been every bit as productive with Malkin, his last stretch in particular.

Guentzel's outstanding with each of our superstar centers.

Lol Guentzel was at a goal per game and 2 points per game in the playoffs in 2018. He had like 15 good games with Malkin this year. Stop trying to rewrite history to push your opinion.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Lol Guentzel was at a goal per game and 2 points per game in the playoffs in 2018. He had like 15 good games with Malkin this year. Stop trying to rewrite history to push your opinion.

I'm talking on balance here, not picking their best stretch together.

For the record, I'm fine with Guentzel playing with either because he's great with both. But my personal preference us that they keep trying Guentzel with Malkin because they were killing it, and it forces teams to put their best defensive units on that line.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean... strategically it's hard for me to disagree that sticking with Jake/Malkin makes sense. But that was never going to happen.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I really hope Marleau is not a permanent fixture on L2...his hands aren’t good enough anymore...better to swap Sheary/Horny next to Sid and let Zucker play with Geno at least...

I'd be shocked if they played Marleau on the 2nd line. He just doesn't have the wheels anymore. I see Marleau more like a 4th line root for Dad type player if you limit his minutes maybe he can give you something here and there.

Guentzel - Crosby - Sheary
Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Tanev - McCann - Hornqvist (I hope they give this line a chance. I can see them being a buzzsaw in the playoffs)
Marleau/Rodrigues - Blueger - Bjugstad

Reactions: EightyOne and KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'd be shocked if they played Marleau on the 2nd line. He just doesn't have the wheels anymore. I see Marleau more like a 4th line root for Dad type player if you limit his minutes maybe he can give you something here and there.

Guentzel - Crosby - Sheary
Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Tanev - McCann - Hornqvist (I hope they give this line a chance. I can see them being a buzzsaw in the playoffs)
Marleau/Rodrigues - Blueger - Bjugstad

I think that at least gives Sully more options, where in theory he could interchange Horny and Sheary like he did in 2017.

At the same time, Zucker-Malkin-Rust will, I suspect, be quite the matchup nightmare for 2nd defensive units.

I think Marleau will be with McCann and the other line will be ZAR-TB-Tanev.

Will be stunned if Blugs isn't odd man out.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I think that at least gives Sully more options, where in theory he could interchange Horny and Sheary like he did in 2017.

At the same time, Zucker-Malkin-Rust will, I suspect, be quite the matchup nightmare for 2nd defensive units.

I think Marleau will be with McCann and the other line will be ZAR-TB-Tanev.

Will be stunned if Blugs isn't odd man out.

I'd be fine with that 4th line also. I'd just like to see Tanev get more ice team on the 3rd line. He's a disruptor and as much as you love him now wait till the playoffs. He's a guy like Talbot who has another level and makes you go holy shit with impacting the game. He's going to be a thorn in the side for everyone we play against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad