Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: Time is Relevant and Empty Arenas are Wormholes

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
We could’ve had Trochek though...

Actually, it would have been pretty rad to see Malkin take Hoffman and Dadanov from Barkov and put up like 100 pts in 50 games.

Probably a little bit of an exaggeration, but he was running at a 1.866 PPG pace in those 15 games with Jake-Rust, so perhaps it's not THAT much of an exaggeration.

EDIT: The ES PPG was the 2nd highest of his career at .91 ES PPG.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Yeah, Rust is a bum.

I hope early season Rust shows up and not late season Rust.

If you can get the top 6 banging along like each individual line was at different points in the season...AND we get decent defense...AND one of Murray or Jarry go on a run like either of them are capable of...we could be good.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Well, with Simon and Bjugs getting shut down, at least it eliminates some variables from the line combos.

Jake - Sid and Geno-Rust are locks. I know there is debate on where Jake should play, but Sully has already spoken on that one. I also think McCann - Hornqvist will be a staple on the 3rd line and ZAR - Blueger - Tanev will be kept together on the 4th.

I see this going one of two ways:

Guentzel - Crosby - Zucker
Marleau - Malkin - Rust
Rodrigues/Sheary - McCann - Hornqvist
ZAR - Blueger - Tanev

or

Guentzel - Crosby - Sheary
Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Marleau - McCann - Hornqvist
ZAR - Blueger - Tanev
Rodrigues

I think I like option 2 better, but I feel bad for Rodrigues. Before the shutdown he looked consistently good in a bottom 6 role. I hope we keep him over a guy like Simon next season.

Reactions: BHD and Hamurai

Hamurai

Jun 19, 2019
Pittsburgh
Well, with Simon and Bjugs getting shut down, at least it eliminates some variables from the line combos.

Jake - Sid and Geno-Rust are locks. I know there is debate on where Jake should play, but Sully has already spoken on that one. I also think McCann - Hornqvist will be a staple on the 3rd line and ZAR - Blueger - Tanev will be kept together on the 4th.

I see this going one of two ways:

Guentzel - Crosby - Zucker
Marleau - Malkin - Rust
Rodrigues/Sheary - McCann - Hornqvist
ZAR - Blueger - Tanev

or

Guentzel - Crosby - Sheary
Zucker - Malkin - Rust
Marleau - McCann - Hornqvist
ZAR - Blueger - Tanev
Rodrigues

I think I like option 2 better, but I feel bad for Rodrigues. Before the shutdown he looked consistently good in a bottom 6 role. I hope we keep him over a guy like Simon next season.
I like option 2 as well. Personally, I’d want zucker with sid and Guentzel with Malkin, but I think we all know that won’t happen.

also agree on Rodrigues. Would like to see him worked in, but not sure where he fits.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Honestly I think he makes some really good points, there. And a ton of it is stuff we've all been saying a while (though sometimes not the team or certain fans). But you are right that it'll just get tossed out because Ryan Wilson said it.

I think, at the very least, it's fair to say that maybe the team doesn't give Geno enough credit or resources, sometimes. Not all the time, mind you. But certainly sometimes.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I hope early season Rust shows up and not late season Rust.

If you can get the top 6 banging along like each individual line was at different points in the season...AND we get decent defense...AND one of Murray or Jarry go on a run like either of them are capable of...we could be good.

I think just playing Rust on RW will make that pretty easy.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Re that RW article, and not just because he's saying it...

A) Geno had a bad season for him last year. Yes it was productive, but production doesn't mean crap if inattention to detail is leading to the opposition producing more. And thinking Geno was led to think it because of perceptions, rather than Geno being an elite hockey player who knows what his best looks like, is a wee bit insulting to him tbh. Anybody who doesn't think he wasn't just straight up better in his own right is probably being a bit insulting too. The most important factor in Geno's performance on the ice will always be Geno's. Yes, his help improved a lot, but it started with Geno. And speaking of the help...

B) Geno's been putting up damp squibs with Letang for the last few seasons while exploding with Schultz around. Swapping his ice time between the two would have probably resulted in less points and also suggests looking hard at Schultz's broken leg as a reason for last season being a struggle. Also, while it's great Geno and Tanger bounced back as a thing, we scored 3.7 g/60 with Geno and Tanger on the ice and 5.05 g/60 with Marino and Geno. So, A) Putting it all on Letang as a D partner feels a lot like having a thesis and harvesting facts to support it because the time with Marino looks more important to me B) it raises some interesting questions about who's best to have with Geno next year.

C) Ditto, time spent with just Rust was more productive than time spent with just Jake. Not by much, and Jake's a small sample, but still was. Obviously both was better (ditto Letang-Marino) but there's a solid case for saying Rust was more important.

D) Talking next year, there's a plausible possibility Rust is our best winger 5v5 (and no one C gets both Rust and Guentzel in that scenario unless another winger explodes). There's also a plausible possibility Marino is our best dman. It's probably Jake and Letang, but... let's just say there's enough uncertainty to say just sticking one of them with Malkin is for the best is a bit premature, and that chemistry doesn't always work that way anyway. Hence Rust and Marino probably being better for him this year. Maybe next year too.

In short, it's a dodgy argument with a dodgy conclusion.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Re that RW article, and not just because he's saying it...

A) Geno had a bad season for him last year. Yes it was productive, but production doesn't mean crap if inattention to detail is leading to the opposition producing more. And thinking Geno was led to think it because of perceptions, rather than Geno being an elite hockey player who knows what his best looks like, is a wee bit insulting to him tbh. Anybody who doesn't think he wasn't just straight up better in his own right is probably being a bit insulting too. The most important factor in Geno's performance on the ice will always be Geno's. Yes, his help improved a lot, but it started with Geno. And speaking of the help...

B) Geno's been putting up damp squibs with Letang for the last few seasons while exploding with Schultz around. Swapping his ice time between the two would have probably resulted in less points and also suggests looking hard at Schultz's broken leg as a reason for last season being a struggle. Also, while it's great Geno and Tanger bounced back as a thing, we scored 3.7 g/60 with Geno and Tanger on the ice and 5.05 g/60 with Marino and Geno. So, A) Putting it all on Letang as a D partner feels a lot like having a thesis and harvesting facts to support it because the time with Marino looks more important to me B) it raises some interesting questions about who's best to have with Geno next year.

C) Ditto, time spent with just Rust was more productive than time spent with just Jake. Not by much, and Jake's a small sample, but still was. Obviously both was better (ditto Letang-Marino) but there's a solid case for saying Rust was more important.

D) Talking next year, there's a plausible possibility Rust is our best winger 5v5 (and no one C gets both Rust and Guentzel in that scenario unless another winger explodes). There's also a plausible possibility Marino is our best dman. It's probably Jake and Letang, but... let's just say there's enough uncertainty to say just sticking one of them with Malkin is for the best is a bit premature, and that chemistry doesn't always work that way anyway. Hence Rust and Marino probably being better for him this year. Maybe next year too.

In short, it's a dodgy argument with a dodgy conclusion.

The main takeaway from the article is that JJ being the most common defenseman Malkin played with was absolutely the biggest factor in his down season.

Letang? Good Schultz? Marino? Fantastic.

Johnson? f*** no.

P.S. I have no idea why HF automatically changes the capital letter "F" in the word "f***" to lower case. What is that supposed to accomplish?

Reactions: Hamurai

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The main takeaway from the article is that JJ being the most common defenseman Malkin played with was absolutely the biggest factor in his down season.

Letang? Good Schultz? Marino? Fantastic.

Johnson? f*** no.

P.S. I have no idea why HF automatically changes the capital letter "F" in the word "f***" to lower case. What is that supposed to accomplish?

Don't think that tallies with the stats. Last season, Geno's GF% percentage went down by 5 to 45% when partnered with JJ, but it went down by 6 to 47 when with Letang, by 13% to 39 when with Dumo, by 25% to 25 when with Gudbranson, by 17% to 40 with Ruh... if his results go down by a lot when with a lot of his defensive partners, it's not just on one guy.

And Malkin's GF% percentage went up 13% when on the ice with JJ this season to a glorious 66% so it's not like JJ isn't necessarily enough to weigh down Geno all by himself. In fact... no regular dman had a higher GF% when on ice with Geno than JJ.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Is anyone else worried about Sid and the kids getting lit up defensively?

It’s not ideal but Jake has put on more muscle since then and plays more aggressively now (plus a little better D) so I don’t think they’d get hemmed in the D zone like they did against CBJ in the playoffs. There’s other options to scroll through if it doesn’t work.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Don't think that tallies with the stats. Last season, Geno's GF% percentage went down by 5 to 45% when partnered with JJ, but it went down by 6 to 47 when with Letang, by 13% to 39 when with Dumo, by 25% to 25 when with Gudbranson, by 17% to 40 with Ruh... if his results go down by a lot when with a lot of his defensive partners, it's not just on one guy.

And Malkin's GF% percentage went up 13% when on the ice with JJ this season to a glorious 66% so it's not like JJ isn't necessarily enough to weigh down Geno all by himself. In fact... no regular dman had a higher GF% when on ice with Geno than JJ.

That's certainly counter-intuitive.

Reactions: Peat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad