Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: Time is Relevant and Empty Arenas are Wormholes

Status
Not open for further replies.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
It’s dumb they’re cool with playing an additional 5 games to get beat up while teams with just a few points more get to avoid that whole mess.

they can want to play, and still vote no knowing theyre getting screwed more than any other team in the league.

they teams on bye have to play at least 3 round robin games. The teams in the play in have to play 3-5 games. Take care of business and there is no difference

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You seem to be thinking I’m disagreeing?

The point is, we have seen Sid and Jake’s chemistry work immediately. We will want that to happen in the playoff format.

But...there's no evidence of Guentzel and Malkin not working either. Like...none.

I simply prefer the dynamic of having Malkin's line getting loaded up and giving the opposition a true "pick your poison" situation with him and Crosby, particularly since it was obliterating teams while it was together. And I dislike that no matter how well a winger does on another line, it's automatically deferential to Crosby.

Reactions: Factorial

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
But...there's no evidence of Guentzel and Malkin not working either. Like...none.

I simply prefer the dynamic of having Malkin's line getting loaded up and giving the opposition a true "pick your poison" situation with him and Crosby, particularly since it was obliterating teams while it was together. And I dislike that no matter how well a winger does on another line, it's automatically deferential to Crosby.

Malkin makes wingers work with him. Sid doesn’t. That’s why Jake should play with Sid and Malkin should work with Rust.

I honestly don’t see why Jake with Sid is a bad thing?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Malkin makes wingers work with him. Sid doesn’t. That’s why Jake should play with Sid and Malkin should work with Rust.

Guentzel and Crosby together isn't a bad thing by any stretch. They're amazing together. I'd just like to see Malkin keep getting the ball and running with it and force the most difficult match-ups on whoever we're playing.

It's not like Zucker and Crosby were playing poorly together. If Guentzel starts with Crosby, Malkin will likely be going into the playoffs cold with a guy he's never played in a game situation with on his left side.

Reactions: TheTang58

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019

I don't think anyone said it was a dad thing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Guentzel and Crosby together isn't a bad thing by any stretch. They're amazing together. I'd just like to see Malkin keep getting the ball and running with it and force the most difficult match-ups on whoever we're playing.

It's not like Zucker and Crosby were playing poorly together. If Guentzel starts with Crosby, Malkin will likely be going into the playoffs cold with a guy he's never played in a game situation with on his left side.

You really think Malkin is going to somehow recapture the chemistry he had with Jake after seven months?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Crosby and Guentzel have played together for three plus years though..

True. I just don't see chemistry with Guentzel being a problem for either of these guys.

Honestly, the last 2 combos on the team I'd be worried about would be Guentzel-Crosby and Guentzel-Malkin.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

I think Tanev is enough for Sid's line. He's a more skilled Dupuis, IMO.

Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Zucker - Crosby - Tanev
Marleau - McCann - Bjugstad (if he ever comes back)
Sheary - Blueger - Rodrigues

:dunno: Could be worse

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh

Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Zucker - Crosby - Tanev

Forgot Hornqvist

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Zucker - Crosby - Tanev

I dunno how I like Bjugstad on any line or Sheary on the 4th, but I could see Tanev working with Crosby.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It'll have been longer than that since Crosby and Guentzel played together, would it not?

Sid & Jake's last game - November 9th.
Malkin & Jake's last game - December 30th.

Jake also has the better numbers with Malkin this year than his 17 games with Sid this year. Geno btw, had 32pts in 20 games with Jake, Sid was at 17 in 17.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Perfect. Sit Bjugstad, Sheary, or Rodrigues.

Sheary will be invisible with anyone aside from Sid. That being said, he shouldn't be anywhere near Sid.
Sheary is getting a lot of hate while putting up 0.5ppg since being back. Not sure why people want to crap all over him, he's a solid depth winger, when he's on fire with Sid, he's fantastic, when he's cold, he's a solid depth winger.

That's somehow a bad thing?
I dunno how I like Bjugstad on any line or Sheary on the 4th, but I could see Tanev working with Crosby.
I wanted to see Zucker-Crosby-Tanev...I think it has the makings of something interesting.

Last edited:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Sheary is getting a lot of hate while putting up 0.5ppg since being back. Not sure why people want to crap all over him, he's a solid depth winger, when he's on fire with Sid, he's fantastic, when he's cold, he's a solid depth winger.

That's somehow a bad thing?.

9cA0.gif

Reactions: EpiPen

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
If it worked before things went dead for games, I'd probably try it to start. Jake-Geno-Rust was the kind of hot that could burn teams in the playoffs.

I will be SHOCKED

SHOCKED if that happens

100% sullivan should have brought Sid back in BEHIND Geno instead of tweaking lines around and shit. But they just couldn't let that happen. So we had gimped Sid and a scuttled Geno. Freakin genius, eh?

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I will be SHOCKED

SHOCKED if that happens

100% sullivan should have brought Sid back in BEHIND Geno instead of tweaking lines around and shit. But they just couldn't let that happen. So we had gimped Sid and a scuttled Geno. Freakin genius, eh?
For once, I'd like a coach that f***ing uses his head. How does he rationalize not keeping G-M-R together?

The team might pass through this play in trash, but I don't feel confident in this HC winning the battle of wits as I would 3yrs ago.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I will be SHOCKED

SHOCKED if that happens

It's not entirely Sully's call anyway tbh. Yes, he can set the minutes and linemates, but he can only set half the assignments. If the other team insist on treating Sid like the 1st line - which they will - he's got to have linemates to match. Which didn't come from Geno anyway. Sure the 3rd line got screwed around as a result, but who's got an issue with that?

Once Jake's back is the first time Sully will have to really pick between the two and I'm not sure why people seem to think there's any answers much worse than the others.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
It's not entirely Sully's call anyway tbh. Yes, he can set the minutes and linemates, but he can only set half the assignments. If the other team insist on treating Sid like the 1st line - which they will - he's got to have linemates to match. Which didn't come from Geno anyway. Sure the 3rd line got screwed around as a result, but who's got an issue with that?

Once Jake's back is the first time Sully will have to really pick between the two and I'm not sure why people seem to think there's any answers much worse than the others.

Or...OR..you take your now very effective Geno line, and make the OTHER team react to that as our first line.

You can push the state of the game when you have the general skill level that the Pens have, just as much as you can react to it.

I'm not trying to write a scathing review on Sullivan or something. It just...is odd that a clearly not even 80% Sid was catered to and pushed forward, when, we already had a damn good 'first' line playing.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Or...OR..you take your now very effective Geno line, and make the OTHER team react to that as our first line.

You can push the state of the game when you have the general skill level that the Pens have, just as much as you can react to it.

I'm not trying to write a scathing review on Sullivan or something. It just...is odd that a clearly not even 80% Sid was catered to and pushed forward, when, we already had a damn good 'first' line playing.

Geno's line had already been broken up by injury before Sid was back. Sid didn't take any of the replacement options, except maybe McCann which tbh ended up being a favour for Geno. Sid didn't take any of his ice time as best I can tell. Sid impinged on McCann's line and time, not Geno's line. If Geno's line had suffered I might agree with this critique, but I really can't see it all.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Geno's line had already been broken up by injury before Sid was back. Sid didn't take any of the replacement options, except maybe McCann which tbh ended up being a favour for Geno. Sid didn't take any of his ice time as best I can tell. Sid impinged on McCann's line and time, not Geno's line. If Geno's line had suffered I might agree with this critique, but I really can't see it all.

My favorite part of the argument is people want Jake with Sid and Sheary not in the line up so there is really no winning here.

I think everyone would be happy with Jake - Malkin - Rust, but it isn’t like Jake - Crosby - Zucker is chopped liver or something. Especially since Sid is likely feeling way better upon returning and was just as good as Malkin to start the season.

Reactions: Peat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad