Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap: Time is Relevant and Empty Arenas are Wormholes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
CLrOdL7.gif

Carry on...

Reactions: Andy99

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yohe said theres a good chance Sheary re-signs and he'd be surprised if Schultz stays.
Nothing really but something to start the thread off.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I saw that but I just don’t see how it’s possible for us to sign Sheary.

When i tried a flat cap with Arm-Chair GM, you can get it to work but 1 of 2 things needs to happen.
Either Bjugs and JJ are gone with their cap hits OR one of 'em is gone with Murr or Jarry dealt.

I'm thinkin' a plausible scenario is they buy out Bjugs or deal him and a goalie will be dealt, pretty likely to COL.

Just those 2 things gives JR alot of breathing room cap wise even if it's the more expensive Murray who he keeps, he has the room.

Example 23-man roster:

Zucker-Sid-Sheary(1M)
Jake-G-Rust
Simon(1M)-McCann(2.4M)-Horny
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev
ERod(1.2M)
Lafferty(800k)

Dumo-Letang
MP-Marino
JJ-Ruh
Riiko(850k)

Murray(5.6M)
DeSmith

Cap Limit = 81.5M
Cap Space = 2.599825M

Was probably a little off on some of the pay raises so lets call the cap space between 1 to 2.5M.
Thats with keeping the more expensive Murr and still having JJ on the team, mind.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
At least this was one of the years wasted on him. Nobody can win the Cup. That's a good year to have JJ on the team because he sure as f*** wasn't going to help.
I hope right before the season resumes he gets quarantined for 14 days and then again.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
When i tried a flat cap with Arm-Chair GM, you can get it to work but 1 of 2 things needs to happen.
Either Bjugs and JJ are gone with their cap hits OR one of 'em is gone with Murr or Jarry dealt.

I'm thinkin' a plausible scenario is they buy out Bjugs or deal him and a goalie will be dealt, pretty likely to COL.

Just those 2 things gives JR alot of breathing room cap wise even if it's the more expensive Murray who he keeps, he has the room.

Example 23-man roster:

Zucker-Sid-Sheary(1M)
Jake-G-Rust
Simon(1M)-McCann(2.4M)-Horny
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev
ERod(1.2M)
Lafferty(800k)

Dumo-Letang
MP-Marino
JJ-Ruh
Riiko(850k)

Murray(5.6M)
DeSmith

Cap Limit = 81.5M
Cap Space = 2.599825M

Was probably a little off on some of the pay raises so lets call the cap space between 1 to 2.5M.
Thats with keeping the more expensive Murr and still having JJ on the team, mind.
We get nothing of consequence for Jarry?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lol Murray won't sign for that and honestly with his injury history and all things considered after the cups, I hesitate even over 5m/yr. Also JJ and Bjug both need to be gone. Both are tossers.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Speaking of Riikola, Yohe made it sound like there's a good chance he'll be traded too, which I'm looking forwards to as a source of entertaining rage if nothing else.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins should keep Sheary and trade Riikola, I have no problems with that. Compliance buyout Bjugstad, spend like $2-$2.5 million on Sheary and make McCann your 3C and your 3rd line is well set for next year.

You still need to get a better RWer for Crosby, though. I thought Sheary did well with Crosby this year, but it's much more ideal for Sheary to be on the 3rd line with McCann and Hornqvist when healthy. I think that will be very difficult to do with a stagnant cap, though. You may have to pick between Simon and Sheary for Crosby's RW just because the cap won't allow you to do more.

sadly he; should be worth more though.

No he shouldn't because he's not very good.

DeMelo is way better than Riikola is and he only brought back a 3rd at the deadline this year. Riikola's nothing more than a 6th/7th D that people here obsess over because he skates well and has a hard shot.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The Penguins should keep Sheary and trade Riikola, I have no problems with that. Compliance buyout Bjugstad, spend like $2-$2.5 million on Sheary and make McCann your 3C and your 3rd line is well set for next year.

You still need to get a better RWer for Crosby, though. I thought Sheary did well with Crosby this year, but it's much more ideal for Sheary to be on the 3rd line with McCann and Hornqvist when healthy. I think that will be very difficult to do with a stagnant cap, though. You may have to pick between Simon and Sheary for Crosby's RW just because the cap won't allow you to do more.

No he shouldn't because he's not very good.

DeMelo is way better than Riikola is and he only brought back a 3rd at the deadline this year. Riikola's nothing more than a 6th/7th D that people here obsess over because he skates well and has a hard shot.

I’m counting on Poulin...I don’t think we’ll be able to afford someone in FA but if we could get a reasonable one year deal, given the pandemic, for someone like Dadanov I hope the team goes for that rather than re-signing Sheary, even if costs a little more...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I’m counting on Poulin...I don’t think we’ll be able to afford someone in FA but if we could get a reasonable one year deal, given the pandemic, for someone like Dadanov I hope the team goes for that rather than re-signing Sheary, even if costs a little more...

There is absolutely no way that the Penguins could afford Dadonov. There are teams that are swimming in cap space that will offer up expensive 1 year deals and then will trade these guys at the deadline as rentals. The Penguins are absolutely not going to be able to get someone like that, because someone like New Jersey or Ottawa will be able to offer double what the Penguins can offer.

Poulin is definitely a possibility, though. I wouldn't mind giving him a 9 game trial with Zucker/Guentzel and Crosby to see how well he meshes there. I would still definitely re-sign Sheary though, there's not a good reason not to re-sign him. Cheap skilled depth is always useful to have, especially considering that his salary will be more than compensated by Bjugstad's buyout.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My lineup prediction for next year is something like:

Guentzel-Crosby-Simon/Poulin
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
Sheary-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev
Lafferty-Rodrigues (if you can get him to sign a cheap 1 year deal)

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
Johnson-Ruhwedel
Trotman

Murray-Jarry

The money works out if you give short deals to McCann, Murray and Jarry at less money than they'd get on long term deals. So basically no major changes outside of making Ruhwedel your full-time #6 (which would probably require a trade deadline acquisition, but that's alright), trading Riikola and DeSmith for draft picks and maybe Poulin pushing for a top-6 spot. I think you'd probably see another Trotman caliber defenseman or 2 signed in free agency to shuttle between WBS and Pittsburgh, because you need to be 9 NHL defensemen deep.

Last edited:

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
[QUOTE="Empoleon8771, post: 171946244, member: 257639"

DeMelo is way better than Riikola is and he only brought back a 3rd at the deadline this year. Riikola's nothing more than a 6th/7th D that people here obsess over because he skates well and has a hard shot.[/QUOTE]

People discuss Rikko because he's not been given much of an opportunity to see who he is. He's in his 2nd year in NA and we still don't know what he projects to or what partner he goes well with
I get he was a free asset but he's been considerably mismanaged here.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
People discuss Rikko because he's not been given much of an opportunity to see who he is. He's in his 2nd year in NA and we still don't know what he projects to or what partner he goes well with
I get he was a free asset but he's been considerably mismanaged here.

It's also entirely possible that he's just not very good outside of spurts, and just being an interesting asset isn't a good enough justification for playing on a team who is trying to win.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
We get nothing of consequence for Jarry?

Wasn't sure but the most you'd probably get is a Jost or Zadorov player wise.
Jost would be easy to fit in. Zads would be a little tougher but still doable.

My lineup prediction for next year is something like:

Guentzel-Crosby-Simon/Poulin
Zucker-Malkin-Rust
Sheary-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev
Lafferty-Rodrigues (if you can get him to sign a cheap 1 year deal)

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
Johnson-Ruhwedel
Trotman

Murray-Jarry

The money works out if you give short deals to McCann, Murray and Jarry at less money than they'd get on long term deals. So basically no major changes outside of making Ruhwedel your full-time #6 (which would probably require a trade deadline acquisition, but that's alright), trading Riikola and DeSmith for draft picks and maybe Poulin pushing for a top-6 spot. I think you'd probably see another Trotman caliber defenseman or 2 signed in free agency to shuttle between WBS and Pittsburgh, because you need to be 9 NHL defensemen deep.

I really don't see this team keeping both goaltenders.
And Hallander has a good shot at stealing a spot. Probably moreso than Sammy.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The problem with Ruhwedel as 6D is the heavy wet smelly sensation in the pants the moment an injury comes and he's 4D. I'm not a fan of that and am happy to sacrifice depth elsewhere to change it.

I also think guessing what happens next for contracts is really difficult. If a player is a gambler, he takes a 1 year and cashes in the next year. If he's not, if he's wondering if things can get worse for the NHL in a recession or if he's at an age where 1 bad year can lead to no last big contract at all, maybe they take term now and shrug off the loss. Seems a time for gamblers but NHL players trend conservative. Dadonov's kinda in that position since he's up as an example; he takes a 1 year, he gets injured and underperforms, next contract is at 32 off a bad year and where does that go? Youngster like Jarry or McCann who's not made real money yet might be reluctant to turn down their first long "set for life" pay cheque either; if it is a little low, they're young enough to make it up on the next one. Real hard to call. Arguments both ways.

Also I thought NHL insiders like LeBrun were still forecasting that the NHL and NHLPA would want to avoid the salary cap going down and compliance buyouts, and would override the CBA to ensure that happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad