Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Where we talk about former posters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Must have missed us having Nylander and Marner ahead of Kapanen on our RW depth.

Even when they were injured or playing LW, Kapanen didn't stick in the top 6.

I hope he works in our top 6, and he should be there now considering our lack of alternatives, but there's reason to believe people who pegged him as a great 3rd liner because he couldn't make it work consistently with Tavares or Matthews were onto something.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
He's in the darkest of holes without support like say, TB is, having his most consistent wingers who all seem to play well off of each other. Now he's the one taking on the Defensive work with literally nobody, and those nobody's keep changing too.

Exactly what do you expect him to do? He looks bad, but considering the spot he's in, it's of, not his fault. Give him steady linemates and not just switch it up when the line has a bad game or a bad stretch of games. He's not put in a spot to succeed. Basically, it's a hold onto your butt until the Calvary arrives.

I mean, Sceviour, Lafferty and O'Connor are not exactly doing much to help. Heck, they're lucky to get 6/8 minutes a game. Jankowski is on an island who gets flooded with defensive starts. He pairs up with TB a lot as well for defensive purposes.

He should look bad, considering.

But that won't come up on any stat sheet.

“He's not put in a spot to succeed.”

This term is an overrated term around here. Sometimes a player needs to show something and Jankowski doesn’t. There is rarely a time in hockey when everything is going to line up perfectly and that’s why players have to show something.

Is everything his fault? No but he makes it worse not better. We need players to make things better. Jankowski has the worst advanced stats out of the forwards so even compared to the sub par wingers he’s the worst performer. That’s not someone you want.

I’m hoping McCann goes back to centre when he’s back and Jankowski catches a cab.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Even when they were injured or playing LW, Kapanen didn't stick in the top 6.

I hope he works in our top 6, and he should be there now considering our lack of alternatives, but there's reason to believe people who pegged him as a great 3rd liner because he couldn't make it work consistently with Tavares or Matthews were onto something.

Kapanen was a top six winger when Nylander was out with Marleau and Matthews. He didn’t work out last year when both were healthy.

I dunno maybe we give the kid a chance in the top six. Or we could do the Sullivan thing and say he hasn’t worked out because he played 25 minutes with Sid this year and didn’t give us a chance to “win”.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Kapanen was a top six winger when Nylander was out with Marleau and Matthews. He didn’t work out last year when both were healthy.

I dunno maybe we give the kid a chance in the top six. Or we could do the Sullivan thing and say he hasn’t worked out because he played 25 minutes with Sid this year and didn’t give us a chance to “win”.

Like I said, I hope he gets a lot more opportunity in the top 6. He should be, considering who's on our team.

But we should also start contemplating what to do if he's not "the answer" on RW for either of our centers.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Jankowski was one of those classic Marc Bargain-bin moves. When they don’t work you should just dump them.

I actually don’t want to make fun of Bergevin too much because he’s had a hell of a better last 18 months than any Pittsburgh GM.
Therein lies the problem. The coach might like the curtain jerker. And in all fairness there's no one to really supplant him. But my fear was that the coach may develop a fetish for the player even if he's trash. The other problem is we don't currently have another viable option. It wasn't a good idea to bring him here in the first place. Anyone surprised by this clearly WASN'T paying attention.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I mean it's a nice list but hardly without its outliers.

I wouldn't call all of those players good top 6 options.

I just don’t understand burying a player that was producing and playing well when he is given 12 minutes in two games and then forced onto the abomination that is Zucker - Malkin.

Whatever, I’m done defending Kappy around here. Pretty obvious people are going to hold that fair trade value over the head the remainder of his time here.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm not sure I completely agree with Empo but I'm edging there. Malkin's big problem is Malkin. Maybe the fit with Zucker isn't great but there's just too many individual things wrong with Malkin. It's not like Malkin does good things and the puck goes to Zucker to die, like it did with Crosby and Rodrigues, it's that Malkin does a large number of bad things and not enough good.

I want to see signs Malkin can fix some of the things in his control before we start making decisions to go for it. Malkin needs to stop making bad decisions. He needs to start going to the dirty areas. Zucker's HDCF/60 at 5v5 is what it was last season for us (although a dip from peak Minnesota); Malkin's is about 25% of normal for him. He can play in the dirty areas even if Zucker's not an ideal fit, he can not fly the zone all the time, and so on. He can be a force on the PP even if he can't at 5v5. Show some signs, let's go get some help for him

If he can't show some signs, if he can't find himself, then I think we're better off selling at this deadline and trying to arrange things so we don't lose too much good stuff at the expansion draft; not saying it's the end of the window, but it's kinda the end of this season.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Jankowski is making league minimum and sucks.

Malkin was just a top five player in the league.

This means jack diddly squat, it just makes Geno's look worse. He "was" looking like a top 5. Not this year. Really, not many years Sid is in, yeah he gets the standard point output. But most years it's getting points even in bad outings. He was top five because the team lost it's best player and funnel all the talent his way and he ran with it.

Sound familiar?

You stack a bunch of non fits (I won't say trash unless we're talking about Jankowski) unworthy players around anyone and you can't expect to get diamonds in the shittiest role on the team.

Let's put it this way, if he was that far out of line the coach wouldn't use him at all. He knows what a shit position he's in, and this board should know too.

I literally watched him deal with his assignment and two other guys let a guy score while they sat there a single skate push away to be on the eventual scorer and watched.
That was Sceviour and Lafferty.

Meanwhile, people blamed Jankowski.

This is the kind of crap support we are looking at.

Is this his fault?

I mean, seriously... Why are these guys out against the top line?

I mean, yeah...shit happens. Maybe give him a little slack. That's 3 of his last minuses.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
“He's not put in a spot to succeed.”

This term is an overrated term around here. Sometimes a player needs to show something and Jankowski doesn’t. There is rarely a time in hockey when everything is going to line up perfectly and that’s why players have to show something.

Is everything his fault? No but he makes it worse not better. We need players to make things better. Jankowski has the worst advanced stats out of the forwards so even compared to the sub par wingers he’s the worst performer. That’s not someone you want.

I’m hoping McCann goes back to centre when he’s back and Jankowski catches a cab.

His line piers are only on the ice for 6/8 minutes. You may want to look into "exactly" how Sully uses him. He gets 10/12 minutes-ish. Even TB couldn't make that shit work away from ZAR, Tanev or McCann.

holy crap, people wonder why ANALytics is terrible. He's literally feed to the wolves. There's no upside to it. Alone.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
His line piers are only on the ice for 6/8 minutes. You may want to look into "exactly" how Sully uses him. He gets 10/12 minutes-ish. Even TB couldn't make that shit work away from ZAR, Tanev or McCann.

holy crap, people wonder why ANALytics is terrible. He's literally feed to the wolves. There's no upside to it. Alone.

4th line center is given 4th line usage with least skilled wingers and sucks, but he isn't at fault for sucking.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
ccle328l1iq21.jpg
not true! we've tried lots of things but they were all wrong....so we are going to try them again.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not sure I completely agree with Empo but I'm edging there. Malkin's big problem is Malkin. Maybe the fit with Zucker isn't great but there's just too many individual things wrong with Malkin. It's not like Malkin does good things and the puck goes to Zucker to die, like it did with Crosby and Rodrigues, it's that Malkin does a large number of bad things and not enough good.

I want to see signs Malkin can fix some of the things in his control before we start making decisions to go for it. Malkin needs to stop making bad decisions. He needs to start going to the dirty areas. Zucker's HDCF/60 at 5v5 is what it was last season for us (although a dip from peak Minnesota); Malkin's is about 25% of normal for him. He can play in the dirty areas even if Zucker's not an ideal fit, he can not fly the zone all the time, and so on. He can be a force on the PP even if he can't at 5v5. Show some signs, let's go get some help for him

If he can't show some signs, if he can't find himself, then I think we're better off selling at this deadline and trying to arrange things so we don't lose too much good stuff at the expansion draft; not saying it's the end of the window, but it's kinda the end of this season.

Yeah, and I'm not even against making changes with that line to see if that wakes up Malkin either. I just don't want to spend a ton of assets on another top-6 winger for Malkin if we have no clue if Malkin's playing well enough to justify it. If Malkin's just having a really bad year, the Penguins are toast in the playoffs so why waste assets?

I'm all for making changes, although taking Guentzel off of Crosby's line is super far down that list for me. I'd be fine with most lineup decisions and I'd even be fine if they wanted to trade Zucker for a winger who you thought fit better than Malkin. I just really don't want to spend assets unless I'm positive that Malkin's out of his funk.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I just don’t understand burying a player that was producing and playing well when he is given 12 minutes in two games and then forced onto the abomination that is Zucker - Malkin.

Whatever, I’m done defending Kappy around here. Pretty obvious people are going to hold that fair trade value over the head the remainder of his time here.

I'm not burying him. I said he should be in the top 6. I just think we should be considering what to do if that doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad