Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Where Gods are born & Old Ones Go To Valhalla..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd have to disagree. They viewed Daley as a rock for our second pair which is why they gave Schultz the contract they did.

Hunwick was preemptive move to cheapen the loss of Cole.

Idk I thought they made a big deal out of losing Daley's skating and that was what really pushed them to get Hunwick. In addition, I think they viewed JJ as offering that skating ability that Daley had while also having the physicality that they wanted.

I definitely recall that Hunwick was supposed to be replacing Daley's skating, and I vaguely recall them making comments about JJ that suggested they viewed him similarly.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Idk I thought they made a big deal out of losing Daley's skating and that was what really pushed them to get Hunwick. In addition, I think they viewed JJ as offering that skating ability that Daley had while also having the physicality that they wanted.

I definitely recall that Hunwick was supposed to be replacing Daley's skating, and I vaguely recall them making comments about JJ that suggested they viewed him similarly.

I think that was you trying to defend both contracts to me actually.

Obviously you were wrong.

4792b0065b8845b5f93e86232b3c5d11.gif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think that was you trying to defend both contracts to me actually.

Obviously you were wrong.

4792b0065b8845b5f93e86232b3c5d11.gif

Boo not cool :laugh:

Damn Perry on waivers, that is surprising. I don't think Perry fits what the Penguins want out of their 3rd line, but I'd rather have him in as the first injury replacement in the top-6 than ERod.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I mean, everyone should be hoping and praying Matheson lives up to his lofty contract. He's the exact type of blueliner we've desperately been missing for years. I'm not confident he'll be able to put it all together and reach his ceiling in one shortened season on a brand new team with a brand new system to learn--especially if Sully in his infinite wisdom is going to force him to play with Ceci, who shouldn't even be dressing nightly.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I also think Schultz is a good example of why we don’t want Matheson for 7 years (or 6, idk), even if he’s good early on.
For sure, but Matheson's contract isn't gonna matter in 2 or 3 years, imo. Unless this team pulls a rabbit out of a hat and turns things around--it won't, until JR/Sully are replaced--in a few short years we'll be a lotto team.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
For sure, but Matheson's contract isn't gonna matter in 2 or 3 years, imo. Unless this team pulls a rabbit out of a hat and turns things around--it won't, until JR/Sully are replaced--in a few short years we'll be a lotto team.

Matheson's contract could greatly effect us in 2 or 3 years if we are trying to make a Rangers like transition.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Sure. Let's luck into a 1st overall and 2nd overall pick first, then we can worry about Matheson's contract with regards to that sort of rebuild.

More so the fact it can prevent you from signing a game changer like Panarin and plenty of them are going to be available the next couple years.

For example the year Malkin and Letang go UFA. Parayko, Hertl, Barkov, Forsberg, Lindholm, Jones, Couts, Ekholm are all UFA.

The following year you have MacK, Larkin, Monahan, Huberdeau, Horvat.

If you can talk one of those big name Cs into coming here and trying to win a cup, you could easily be a contender again. If not and Letang walks you have a variety of defensemen to target to replace the 2nd pair on top pair with.

I'd also like to say that the NHL seems to be going this way with more players opting to leave their teams and chase a cup.

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
More so the fact it can prevent you from signing a game changer like Panarin and plenty of them are going to be available the next couple years.
Well, what if the moon were made of barbeque spare ribs? Would ya eat it?

There aren't going to be "plenty" of Panarins available. :laugh: And if one shows up and for some odd reason they want to come to Pittsburgh of all places, you make room for him--we agree there.

I'm not the least bit concerned with how Matheson's contract will affect the team in several years. I'm worried he tanks this season and we'll be forced to pay Seattle to take a huge mistake off our hands--which won't be cheap.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Well, what if the moon were made of barbeque spare ribs? Would ya eat it?

There aren't going to be "plenty" of Panarins available. :laugh: And if one shows up and for some odd reason they want to come to Pittsburgh of all places, you make room for him--we agree there.

I'm not the least bit concerned with how Matheson's contract will affect the team in several years. I'm worried he tanks this season and we'll be forced to pay Seattle to take a huge mistake off our hands--which won't be cheap.

There is no way that Matheson tanks the season. Jack Johnson didn't even do that.

If you're talking about losing us a playoff series, I can see it.

The difference being Crosby will still be a Penguin so you don't need a player of Panarin's quality. A very good C like Barkov or Hertl or a very good wing like Forsberg or Huberdeau could very easily extend this teams window especially with Zucker and Guentzel locked up and a future D core of Dumoulin, Pettersson, Marino.

People need to take a look at our roster beyond Crosby and Malkin and realize there are some really good pieces here if we are able to get a transitional player that can help soften the blow of Crosby and Malkin's C abilities eroding. And realistically we probably see Crosby drop into a Yzerman like defensive role as the years go by.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
There is no way that Matheson tanks the season. Jack Johnson didn't even do that.

If you're talking about losing us a playoff series, I can see it.
The guy is coming to a new team, an entirely different system, and may end up on a pairing with Cody Ceci. There's a very real chance that in a shortened and condensed season, Matheson ends up being unbearably awful a la Schultz. I didn't mean the player specifically torpedoes the chances of the entire team. I should've worded that better.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The guy is coming to a new team, an entirely different system, and may end up on a pairing with Cody Ceci. There's a very real chance that in a shortened and condensed season, Matheson ends up being unbearably awful a la Schultz. I didn't mean the player specifically torpedoes the chances of the entire team. I should've worded that better.

Nothing in the camp has shown that. And he is playing with Marino at the moment.

If Matheson is "unbearably awful" a la Schultz, he can be more effectively hidden on the bottom pairing where as our coach felt indebted to Schultz and played him top four minutes.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Nothing in the camp has shown that. And he is playing with Marino at the moment.

If Matheson is "unbearably awful" a la Schultz, he can be more effectively hidden on the bottom pairing where as our coach felt indebted to Schultz and played him top four minutes.
We did a really good job at sheltering/hiding JJ and Schultz, so I'm enthusiastically looking forward to us sheltering/hiding Matheson and Ceci if they end up not working out. :laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
We did a really good job at sheltering/hiding JJ and Schultz, so I'm enthusiastically looking forward to us sheltering/hiding Matheson and Ceci if they end up not working out. :laugh:

JJ is analytically the worst defenseman in the league. There is a big difference between trying to shield that and shielding two players that were just top pairing defensemen in terms of usage on the bottom pairing here.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think the Penguins have the market to pull off a Panarin style of player. Not only that, but the Rangers lucked (although this contract kinda sucks) into getting Trouba for cheap by him forcing the Jets to trade him to the Rangers. Same thing happened with Fox, too.

The Rangers got insanely lucky to rebound as quickly as they did. To be able to sign Panarin, luck into multiple top-2 picks (including one of the best players drafted in the last decade), luck into getting a future superstar goalie in the 4th round and use your location to force the acquisition of 2 top pair defensemen isn't something that is easily replicated. And even with all of that, they still are a flawed team and have serious problems they need to address before becoming a contender again.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
JJ is analytically the worst defenseman in the league. There is a big difference between trying to shield that and shielding two players that were just top pairing defensemen in terms of usage on the bottom pairing here.
I'm hopeful Matheson finds another level here, and is given the chance to play with Marino so he has the freedom to jump up into the play and do his thing offensively and in transition. I'm just playing devil's advocate. But there's a real chance he ends up being a big mess if things don't come together in a hurry.

Ceci sucks shit though.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm hopeful Matheson finds another level here, and is given the chance to play with Marino so he has the freedom to jump up into the play and do his thing offensively and in transition. I'm just playing devil's advocate. But there's a real chance he ends up being a big mess if things don't come together in a hurry.

Ceci sucks shit though.

I don't think there is a real chance to be honest. He is what he is. He's going to be a very good defenseman at skating the puck and moving the puck in transition and he's going to get himself into a lot of trouble doing the same.

If our team is buying in and playing our system they forwards and defense should be able to cover for it as they did with Daley and Letang in the 15-16 run.

Florida had a ton of expectations for him, but he is a solid defenseman just not the top pairing stud they thought he was.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think there is a real chance to be honest. He is what he is. He's going to be a very good defenseman at skating the puck and moving the puck in transition and he's going to get himself into a lot of trouble doing the same.

If our team is buying in and playing our system they forwards and defense should be able to cover for it as they did with Daley and Letang in the 15-16 run.

Florida had a ton of expectations for him, but he is a solid defenseman just not the top pairing stud they thought he was.
Agreed on the forwards--but I don't really have much hope of that changing. For whatever reason they all, to a man, seem to have checked out on the whole backchecking and coming down low to help defensively thing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Agreed on the forwards--but I don't really have much hope of that changing. For whatever reason they all, to a man, seem to have checked out on the whole backchecking and coming down low to help defensively thing.

They were the best defense in the league until injury eventually caught up to them last year.

All metrics point to us being one of the best defensive teams in the league this year.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I feel like this is a monumentally false statement.

They have been sorely missing a defenseman with the offensive ability and puck moving/skating talent as what Daley had back in 2016. Marino is certainly close but I don't think he's really a big offensive threat from the blue line.

Marino was more productive as a rookie than Daley was in either season he played here.

I liked Daley. He gave our blueline an element of speed/transition that caused problems for the opposition. But it's not the only way to construct a successful blueline, and our problems over the last couple years had a lot more to do with the defensemen we were icing than the defensemen we weren't.

And crucially, Matheson has a lot to clean up before being comparable to Daley.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Marino was more productive as a rookie than Daley was in either season he played here.

I liked Daley. He gave our blueline an element of speed/transition that caused problems for the opposition. But it's not the only way to construct a successful blueline, and our problems over the last couple years had a lot more to do with the defensemen we were icing than the defensemen we weren't.

And crucially, Matheson has a lot to clean up before being comparable to Daley.

Prime Daley. I agree.

The Daley that was part of our cup teams. Not at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad