Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Where Gods are born & Old Ones Go To Valhalla..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
If Cici is ones biggest concern Pens are in great shape. I mentioned Malkin as to players who rebound due to management setting the tone. Malkin wasn't playing well by anyone's standards in 2018. It is in the coaching and setting expectations that Pens will move off anyone like Kessel who simply don't bring the effort to the team. GMJR will make changes and that is a priority in his view. Cici will play reasonably well since he knows that is the standard Sully and GMJR demand.

Same with Matheson. He is in a system and demand that will benefit him. It is about effort. Sully liked Galchenyuk but he was moved since he wasn't scoring. Effort matters and I do think this team will bring that this year. Sully has not done a good job in the playoffs and that has to be reversed. Last year vs Montreal was somewhat unique but no question GMJR and Sully will not let this year be a continuation of the last two playoff years.

Oh? Which part of 2018? The 2017-2018 portion or the 18-19 portion?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I like E-Rod as a player but not as a first line player.
Yea, under no circumstance should this guy be your first guy in the top six if there is an injury. KK is going to miss three games, so why wouldn’t you try a legitimate player in the top 6 to start the season?

Please don’t say because it would hurt the bottom six to take one of their guys.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Malkins 2018-19 season was a bad one. I have no idea how anyone can defend his play that year. He saw Kessel traded for his BS and even though he had a grip, his effort on the ice was not acceptable. I also believe he was told to clean it up which to his credit he did.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I see that f***ing wanker @66-30-33 hasn't seen who's on waivers...

I kind of want Ho-Sang to be claimed by the Pens, people can whine about him being cocky, but that skill, if you can reign him in and get that skill on this team and he figures it out, oh boy...

That kid is talented, he's shown it at the NHL level too, but I guess being cocksure is frowned upon unless you're some wanker that was drafted in the top 5 and not from his background. If you can get a talent like that for free and sort him out, that's the type of shit I'd love to see JR take more chances on given our pitiful pool of call-ups.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I kind of want Ho-Sang to be claimed by the Pens, people can whine about him being cocky, but that skill, if you can reign him in and get that skill on this team and he figures it out, oh boy...

That kid is talented, he's shown it at the NHL level too, but I guess being cocksure is frowned upon unless you're some wanker that was drafted in the top 5 and not from his background. If you can get a talent like that for free and sort him out, that's the type of shit I'd love to see JR take more chances on given our pitiful pool of call-ups.

Hopefully he gets claimed by someone. NYI have been total jackasses on how they have handled him.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Still talent only gets you so far. He’s had 3 coaches although in the one organization but still.

We’ll see what happens if he goes to another team.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Sid and Geno have work their magic before.

System hockey is huge these days. With Ho-Sang I’m not sure if that’s the problem but talent still needs to buy in.

Doesn’t mean you have to be a robot. Look at Jake. He’s a highly skilled player but he’s been talked too about what he needs to improve on and has listened.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
System hockey is huge these days. With Ho-Sang I’m not sure if that’s the problem but talent still needs to buy in.

Doesn’t mean you have to be a robot. Look at Jake. He’s a highly skilled player but he’s been talked too about what he needs to improve on and has listened.
some people will never be fixed.......but if you have player/players that he looks up to, maybe he will listen.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, Sullivan's the guy who is gonna reign a guy's cockiness in and get the most out of a supremely talented, but wild player. :laugh:

Reactions: KIRK

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's exactly what he is. i mean yes he should have played more, but he is a future European League player/ #7 NHL Dman.
Nah. He should've been a permanent fixture in the lineup last season, and should be this season. Dressing JJ and Schultz over him was a indefensible mistake, and dressing Ceci over him will also be an indefensible mistake.

I'm not saying Riikola is some gem waiting to be polished. I'm saying this team, in its arrogance and spiteful stupidity, constantly puts itself several steps back due to coaching/lineup decisions. That's gotta stop. Riikola's one of our best 6 blueliners, even on his off side.

The same sort of thing goes for Jankowski. The 3C spot should be Blueger's. He's been here, he knows the system, he's acquitted himself as a very good 4C, and he'll be here into the future. Give him the role, see what you've got. Jankowski is some 1-year nobody reclamation project. But we're damned and determined to force the Jankowski experiment despite having a better option.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Hopefully he gets claimed by someone. NYI have been total jackasses on how they have handled him.

Ho-Sang's been a bigger jackass. I've honestly never seen a player act less accountable or repentant for his actions, from junior right on through to the bigs.

That said, he's fast and talented, and the sort of playmaking winger (RH!) we could use use if he ever had an epiphany. Worth a shot if we didn't have to give any assets for him.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

LRS87

Oct 7, 2020
I wanna trade for Victor Mete. Good upside and would fit well with MP. Also, cheap.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
From another poster....

“The Athletic had an article today ranking the goalies in the league, as voted on by an anonymous group of NHL personnel. This year's panel was made up of 6 NHL GMs, 4 NHL head coaches, and 5 NHL goalie coaches. Each of these people needed to assign a 1 to 5 value to each teams starting goalie, with 1 the best and 5 the worst.

Goalies were then put in Tiers based on their score.

Tier1 had 3 goalies: Vasilevsky, Hellebuyck, and Price

Jarry was rated in Tier3, 19th overall, tied with Holtby. The comments on Jarry:

--“The coaching staff and management is putting faith in him,” said a panelist. “They still have good structure there, I think that helps him.”
--“He definitely was above average. He’s not big. He handles the puck well,” said a coach. “Very good puck handler. He brings that to the table.”
--“He was consistent in the American League for four years. It’s always tougher to continue to do it year after year, but I think that the way he plays and the mentality and what his character is like, there’s a level of consistency there that he can learn adjustments at the highest level. He’s competitive. Guys love him. He’s smart.”
--One more: “Pittsburgh played well in front of him. I’m nervous for him.”

I think the biggest surprise for me were some of the other "not very established" goalies who ranked higher than Jarry. Shesterkin of the Rangers was the biggest surprise for me. I know he is supposed to be good, but he's played 12 total NHL games. He was ranked 12th. Other goalies without a ton of experience that ranked higher than Jarry....Carter Hart (6th), Merzlikins (13th), Samsonov (17th), Blackwood (18th).

That being said....the same panel ranked Murray 22nd”

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Ho sang is 25 dang.

I'd still take him on the taxi though if free.

Really excited for the games coming up.
Happy to see ceci is the huge problem makes me at ease.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It would be funny if fans were convinced that Matheson-Ceci was a fine pair only for Sullivan to decide to play Matheson with Marino :laugh:

Really curious to see if Sullivan sticks with that pair. Maybe he's just looking at a few things, just like when he split up Tanev and Blueger, but it's interesting to see he's toying with the idea.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think there was ever much danger of it being as bad as JJ and post-injury Schultz.

My question was always whether it would be any better than Riikola-Ruhwedel, despite costing about 4.5 mil more per year.

It would mostly be due to Ceci if that pair was somehow worse than Matheson-Ceci.

The 3rd pair should either be Matheson-Ruhwedel if Matheson is on the 3rd pair or Pettersson-Riikola if Matheson is with Marino.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad