Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Where Gods are born & Old Ones Go To Valhalla..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Continue...

Pittsburgh Penguins - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Last posts from previous thread.

You don't get those players without assets...assets that we don't have unless we sell off our core players.

At which point we would need to replace those core players...via UFA.

You coulda got a Jarnkrok like 3C for 1million $ in Soderberg or Haula. why would you trade your best prospect for one when you passed on as good options who didn't cost much

The Haula you think you’ll get

FatSpectacularInganue-max-1mb.gif

The Haula you’ll actually get

spxN54.gif

This isn't an either or. If anything, having another top end player forces us into younger cheaper players more, because it means we can't stock up on hockey's middle class. And if you're thinking a guy like Laine as younger and cheaper rather than guys like 15-16 Rust et al, then you've got to look at the fact he's a last year RFA with arbitration rights, and look at Marner's contract, and ask how long he'd actually stay cheap.

Throw in the assets needed to acquire such a guy vs free agency - which will consist of the young and hungry - and it's pretty dubious as to which is preferable if they're both options. Which, given our lack of premium trade assets, probably isn't the case.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I still think we have a fine enough lineup. Not perfect, and I wouldn't say I'm happy with anything outside of the top-6, goalie, and top two pairings. That being said, a lot depends on Sully's line combos and personnel decisions. Ceci's not one of our best six available blueliners, but he'll play. Matheson needs the freedom to be able to jump up into the play, do his thing offensively and in transition, and his best opportunity to do that is alongside arguably the best defensive blueliner from a year ago in Marino. Riikola should be a permanent fixture. Jankowski should be the 4C and TB should be given a long look at 3C.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I still think we have a fine enough lineup. Not perfect, and I wouldn't say I'm happy with anything outside of the top-6, goalie, and top two pairings. That being said, a lot depends on Sully's line combos and personnel decisions. Ceci's not one of our best six available blueliners, but he'll play. Matheson needs the freedom to be able to jump up into the play, do his thing offensively and in transition, and his best opportunity to do that is alongside arguably the best defensive blueliner from a year ago in Marino. Riikola should be a permanent fixture. Jankowski should be the 4C and TB should be given a long look at 3C.
Agreed with your lineup decisions, at least of now. JR still needs one more top 9 player, but the fate of this team is in Sully’s hands, ultimately.

Im convinced that Blueger will be our 3C, Matheson will get stuck with Ceci, and Rodrigues will play way too much.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Anybody remember “Malkin to the Kings!” back in the day? For I think like Dustin Brown, and JJ... Yeah f*** that.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Anybody remember “Malkin to the Kings!” back in the day? For I think like Dustin Brown, and JJ... Yeah f*** that.

Going into the wayback machine, pretty sure Doughty was would have been the main part of the return so it wouldn't have been that bad.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Agreed with your lineup decisions, at least of now. JR still needs one more top 9 player, but the fate of this team is in Sully’s hands, ultimately.

Im convinced that Blueger will be our 3C, Matheson will get stuck with Ceci, and Rodrigues will play way too much.
If we could swing a trade for a legit top-6 RW, of which I'm still extremely skeptical, this top-9 is going to be as good as can be realistically. Don't know how we pull off said trade without trading someone like Poulin++, which I'm fine with as long as the guy is the right guy and is young enough to be around for a while.

Jake/Zucker-Sid-RW
Jake/Zucker-Geno-Rust
McCann-TB-Kapanen

That's a Cup winning top-9.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Malkin was a much better player last year and that was a welcome change from the prior season. But some included me if he ws going to half a** it again, then that is something that may have to be done. Cici is a third line D man who to me is if used properly is far better than what was the case last year.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Malkin was a much better player last year and that was a welcome change from the prior season. But some included me if he ws going to half a** it again, then that is something that may have to be done. Cici is a third line D man who to me is if used properly is far better than what was the case last year.

How do you segue from Malkin to Ceci?

Reactions: KIRK and Gurglesons

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014

Accusing Malkin of “half assing it” wasn’t an interesting take in 2010 and it still isn’t now.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Tbf, Gudbransson was an absolute turdshow statistically before coming here. Then was very solid. Don't really expect that from Ceci, but obviously the example shows Ceci's past record is only of so-so relevance.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Tbf, Gudbransson was an absolute turdshow statistically before coming here. Then was very solid. Don't really expect that from Ceci, but obviously the example shows Ceci's past record is only of so-so relevance.

It’s still relevant generally speaking. Players usually are what they are and in Gudbranson’s case he hasn’t been that good for most of the other 499 games of his career. So I’d say those 19 games were just a small sample size. We didn’t keep him.

Edit: Having said that he did have a good year statistically on defence with the Leafs. Offensively he was just plain offensive like JJ level bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gurglesons

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Did Empo really propose Poulin for Jarnkrok lol.

Obviously plenty of things went right in 2016 and 2017 but I can't stress how important ELCs were to give us depth. It blows my miiiiiiiiiind when people don't see that. And hey.. maybe Poulin never makes it. I don't know. That's the thing about prospects. But his talent was that of a damn good player and we need that youth/skill in an ELC if we sneak another Cup out.

Reactions: Giskard

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It’s still relevant generally speaking. Players usually are what they are and in Gudbranson’s case he hasn’t been that good for most of the other 499 games of his career. So I’d say those 19 games were just a small sample size. We didn’t keep him.

Are they though?

Take Gudbranson. For Florida he was a bit all over the place, but not a consistently awful dman. Then he gets absolutely shelled in Vancouver. Comes here - and sure, small sample - and does pretty good. Goes to Anaheim and his results are solid enough. So who is Gudbranson based on that?

Ceci went to nightmare in Ottawa to - results wise - tolerably bad in Toronto. Oleksiak's going nowhere, comes here and becomes an offensive D, goes back to Dallas and becomes a solid defensive D.

Goaltenders are voodoo. Fourth liners frequently burn bright for two seasons then fall out the league. You get guys suddenly going dry, you get one season wonders like Sheary...

This league is real unpredictable. I'm not sure I agree with the bolded at all.

And in any case, I didn't say it was irrelevant. I said it was of so-so relevance. Relevant but far from the be-all and end-all.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Obviously plenty of things went right in 2016 and 2017 but I can't stress how important ELCs were to give us depth. It blows my miiiiiiiiiind when people don't see that. And hey.. maybe Poulin never makes it. I don't know. That's the thing about prospects. But his talent was that of a damn good player and we need that youth/skill in an ELC if we sneak another Cup out.

From what I’ve seen and heard Poulin is a real hard working physical player so he’d probably fit on any line when he gets his shot. Obviously the higher the better but even getting a really good 4th liner is still a positive especially if it helps generate offensive.

The bottom 6 is stacked with good to amazing defensive players so hopefully he can get some games later on this season and maybe generate some offense.

I didn’t really expect much from him this season NHL wise anyway. Sucks that he couldn’t go the AHL route because that would have been of huge benefit to him. He needs games against men to help his development.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I think the bigger thing is trading our best prospect for a fourth liner.

Like, I'd be fine to trade Poulin for something. But Jarnkrok. No way.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Are they though?

Take Gudbranson. For Florida he was a bit all over the place, but not a consistently awful dman. Then he gets absolutely shelled in Vancouver. Comes here - and sure, small sample - and does pretty good. Goes to Anaheim and his results are solid enough. So who is Gudbranson based on that?

Ceci went to nightmare in Ottawa to - results wise - tolerably bad in Toronto. Oleksiak's going nowhere, comes here and becomes an offensive D, goes back to Dallas and becomes a solid defensive D.

Goaltenders are voodoo. Fourth liners frequently burn bright for two seasons then fall out the league. You get guys suddenly going dry, you get one season wonders like Sheary...

This league is real unpredictable. I'm not sure I agree with the bolded at all.

And in any case, I didn't say it was irrelevant. I said it was of so-so relevance. Relevant but far from the be-all and end-all.

There’s always highs and lows and no player plays at the same level game in and game out (except maybe the truly elite) but I don’t think the bulk of their work is generally too far away.

Yeah I know you didn’t say it was irrelevant. I also don’t think it’s the be-all and end-all either. I guess neither of us are on the extreme side of things but Im definitely more on the negative side of things especially in Ceci’s case.

I get what type of D man JR wanted but Ceci was a ****ing strange choice given he’s almost bad at everything.

I’m less freaked out about getting Ceci than I was Gudbranson so who knows. Maybe that was more to to with actually trading for him and also his contract. We got out of it in the end unharmed :)

EDIT: Completely agree about Goalies. I was meaning skaters. Goalies would be a very interesting neuropsychological study

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->