Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - The disco ball's spinnin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Palmieri is a very good 5v5 forward. I’m a little perplexed at the push back on that.
Oh I'm just being an ass. I would never give up a top prospect and a first for 1.5yrs of Palmieri considering the .5 is a waste given the injuries this year and next year being some cap things that need to be sorted in the summer and then he's a Ufa in 2021-22.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Fair enough. With them having a (M-NTC Hoffman/ M-NTC NMC Dadonov) they have some control and costs could be driven down.
I like Hoffman and think he would sign a decent contract to be with a contender and put down roots with a squad. Also he would slot in with Geno or Sid as his options.

He's a Ufa and the Panthers would likely take back the 1st and a meh prospect for him as they're pretty cash strapped.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Personally, I take note of the Karlsson business from when they were in Ottawa(Locker room cancer). Fit hockey wise? not so much.
That's more of what I'm speaking to, (off ice). But he usually shoots on the PP in or near the RW circle (if memory serves me correctly). And that's where Geno usually plays. Although they're moving him around a bit.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
That's more of what I'm speaking to, (off ice). But he usually shoots on the PP in or near the RW circle (if memory serves me correctly). And that's where Geno usually plays. Although they're moving him around a bit.

That's where I will stay away from, they need more better RHS guys to open up both sides of the ice. Probably why I'd also want Pageau to have the proper guy for either dot.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think Travis Zajac would be an interesting candidate for 3C if he is available. 34 going to be 35 with 1 year left on his deal.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
That's where I will stay away from, they need more better RHS guys to open up both sides of the ice. Probably why I'd also want Pageau to have the proper guy for either dot.
Pageau would be higher on my list as well. Palmieri and Zucker would be higher still however, but I don't think we'll likely get a crack at Palmieri. And the cost would likely be ridiculous.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Speaking from what I’ve seen from pundits talking about him including Jesse and the fact to my knowledge he was only on the ice for one goal against? Nothing concrete.

Fairy nuff. I've seen nothing on it, so was curious as to whether you had ought to share.

Kyle Palmieri’s Secret Weapon — his Two-Way Game

This article summarizes it pretty well, I believe.

Cheers - interesting reading.

Judging his ES/5v5 impact is pretty difficult to do when you consider how pointless NJ are - but those strong playdriving stats compared to the rest of his team are pretty interesting. Getting that on one of the few forwards out there who would actually have a case for PP1 here would be nice.

My opinion is you draw certain conclusions without having some of the facts. Which means it's hard to accurately assess a prospect or even pro players value with bits and pieces missing. And that's precisely what you're doing here.

The entirety of this forum is people drawing conclusions about things where they don't have some of the facts, or in plenty of cases the majority of the facts. Prospects, reasonable trade values, why this line up change... everything. Even the players we see every night - we don't have internal stats, or lots of video to rewatch, or get to see practices, which is a decent chunk of the facts.

Either we're happy to have conversations on the basis we're all operating with fairly imperfect knowledge or we might as well spend all our time watching cat gifs.

And either you've got an opinion as to Poulin's ceiling that differs from the consensus and as to why they're maybe wrong, or you don't, which is my main subject of interest here. I may not watch Poulin's games, but I am assiduous about picking up the opinions of those who do, and the next time I hear someone say Poulin's ceiling is credibly above Landeskog will be the first. It's a pretty high ceiling there after all. I am genuinely interested if you think that, based upon watching him, he's got the ceiling to do more than multiple 60 point plus seasons with one at ppg. That's an interesting conversation. Chewing over the known of imperfect information isn't.

And lets be honest, given how many problems the pros have with assessing prospect value

Reactions: Riptide

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Hoffman was cleared of the bs Karlsson and his wife accused them of. Hoffman also tried to reach out and Karlsson acted like a punk ass bitch about it.

People being worried about that and then seeing the folks praising Evander Kane in another thread is beyond f***ing hilarious.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'd like JR to be a bit more pro-active on the D front.
If you're gonna let JS walk(as you should), and one injury(in Dumo) means this is what you get...thats a problem.
They could really use a LD stud defender.
Too bad cuz Scandella was as close to one this season(if you look at his fancy stats) and he just went for pennies.

This "JJ has turned it around" and MP is a future top 4 defender ain't gonna cut the mustard atm if you have Cup aspirations this season and next.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Either we're happy to have conversations on the basis we're all operating with fairly imperfect knowledge or we might as well spend all our time watching cat gifs.

What’s wrong with cat gifs?

326lg7.gif

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
What’s wrong with cat gifs?

326lg7.gif

Hehe. Well timed indeed... how uniquely fitting with the grooming once the deed is done :D .

During this weekend we inaugurated a classic race track that my kids got from their grandfather for Christmas. I'm sure you know the type... I got one very similar 30 something years ago:

088dced5-96e4-4b67-b5b9-50a7c78c8ced.jpg

Now, we have a 1 year old cat, and while the kids liked racing, they liked watching the cat lie in wait near a curve and expertly tap out those cars a great deal more. So I have been seeing something similar to that scene about 100 times this weekend.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'd give up any prospect for Palms, plus a 1st, plus Bjugstad for cap reasons (plus we don't need him). Maybe even a conditional 2021 2nd round pick and condition is they get it if Palms re-signs here or a 2021 3rd if he doesn't. Maybe Devils can also retain say 20-30%? so we have more money for some upgrading at D or something. Maybe it's overpayment by a little but whatever.

When you can get someone else who'll be about 60-80% as good as Palms and will cost 30-50% as much, that's a pretty easy pass on Palms. He's going to cost far more then what he'd be worth to us, especially with only 1.5 seasons left. It would be different if he had 2.5+ seasons left on his contract, but he doesn't.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Let’s be honest none of us have watched Hallander or Poulin beyond highlight packs.

So, you’re just basically speaking from positional need, personal bias and stat lines.

While true I also think Poulin and Hallander and even Legare for that matter are significantly closer to the NHL and being impact players then Addison is. I like him and do not want to move him, but I figure he's likely 4-5 years away from being an impact player. I think the other 3 can do it in 2-3 years. No guarantee's, but looking at him in the WJCs and his lack of size, I suspect that if he does pan out, that it's going to take him several years in the minors to round things out well enough.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Palmieri is a very good 5v5 forward. I’m a little perplexed at the push back on that.

Even if he's only average... that's good enough given that he checks the rest of the boxes. For me the issue isn't the player, it's just the cost to acquire him vs him only having 1.5 yrs left on his deal.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
While true I also think Poulin and Hallander and even Legare for that matter are significantly closer to the NHL and being impact players then Addison is. I like him and do not want to move him, but I figure he's likely 4-5 years away from being an impact player. I think the other 3 can do it in 2-3 years. No guarantee's, but looking at him in the WJCs and his lack of size, I suspect that if he does pan out, that it's going to take him several years in the minors to round things out well enough.

For many that watch him on the regular say he could be ready in a year or two.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Hoffman was cleared of the bs Karlsson and his wife accused them of. Hoffman also tried to reach out and Karlsson acted like a punk ass ***** about it.

People being worried about that and then seeing the folks praising Evander Kane in another thread is beyond ****ing hilarious.

Hadn't heard that he was cleared. I think that would be something a GM/coach would want more info on if they were thinking of acquiring/signing him... but given that it was his wife/GF and not Hoffman and that we're talking about a rental, that incident would be a lot further down on the list of concerns vs his 2way game and how he would fit in here.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
For many that watch him on the regular say he could be ready in a year or two.

I mean as an impact player. Like what we're seeing out of Marino right now. That's almost certainly not happening next season. For Poulin (or Hallander) to be there, they'd basically need to be in the 15/20g and 34/40pt range (given a lack of PP minutes), and I don't think that's happening next season. Maybe the one after that but I doubt it - which means we're into year 3 when we might see it. But I also think it's unlikely Addison is anywhere near as ready by then either. But as I've said many times, I still do not want to move any of our top 5 or so prospects. Move out picks and lesser players. If that can't get it done, look elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad