Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - The disco ball's spinnin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I mean as an impact player. Like what we're seeing out of Marino right now. That's almost certainly not happening next season. For Poulin (or Hallander) to be there, they'd basically need to be in the 15/20g and 34/40pt range (given a lack of PP minutes), and I don't think that's happening next season. Maybe the one after that but I doubt it - which means we're into year 3 when we might see it. But I also think it's unlikely Addison is anywhere near as ready by then either. But as I've said many times, I still do not want to move any of our top 5 or so prospects. Move out picks and lesser players. If that can't get it done, look elsewhere.

Ah. Well, I think if you have Addison as your # 6 next year you could easily see him have a similar impact as Marino on the PP.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Hadn't heard that he was cleared. I think that would be something a GM/coach would want more info on if they were thinking of acquiring/signing him... but given that it was his wife/GF and not Hoffman and that we're talking about a rental, that incident would be a lot further down on the list of concerns vs his 2way game and how he would fit in here.
It's been reported the judge threw the case out. Hoffman was pissed and wanted to fight Karlsson when it became record and as he should. Karlssons seem like entitled douches in all of it.

Reactions: Riptide

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
My comfort level on Addison isn't high as to being ready for at least two if not three years from now. He is really undersized and yes his mobility and offensive skills are very good, he would be a significant liability on D at the NHL level. Give him a couple of years to mature and add some strength and size, then playing in the AHL for a year and a half will help him learn the nuances of playing D at a higher level. Poulin and Legare already have NHL bodies and they need to work on skating and quickness.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
My comfort level on Addison isn't high as to being ready for at least two if not three years from now. He is really undersized and yes his mobility and offensive skills are very good, he would be a significant liability on D at the NHL level. Give him a couple of years to mature and add some strength and size, then playing in the AHL for a year and a half will help him learn the nuances of playing D at a higher level. Poulin and Legare already have NHL bodies and they need to work on skating and quickness.

For sure he’ll have to get used to playing against stronger opposition and add some muscle but in terms of weight he’s around the same as Marino, Tanev, Pettersson and Kahun.

He’s fast and an elite skater and in this league that can speed up the process of making the NHL if you have the skills and work ethic.

He’s got 10 pounds on Quinn Hughes (same height) who is managing over 21 minutes a night. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Addison get some NHL time next season and a regular the following year.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Some of you motherf***ers think Addison is gonna jump to the NHL next year and is bland and not impressive are so wrong. Defenseman, you f*** wits, take time to develop. Addison likely wouldn't even get a sniff until he went some insane beast mode in the ahl and even then I would say he's a guy you hope for pushing for a spot at 21-22ish yrs old.

POJ is a former 1st and is 20yrs (21 this year) old in his first year in the ahl. He shouldn't be ready for another year or two. Marino is "doing great as a rookie" at f***ing 22yrs old (turns 23 in may).

He's still in juniors and 19 soon to be 20. Dude just had a solid WJC where people didn't even think he belonged and was 2nd for pts for defense in WJC. THAT is the kind of boost that gets a kid motivated af. I don't think this team is in a position to dump a kid like that away when we haven't had a decent one like him since Letang.

POJ is working on adding size. Addison skates f***ing amazingly well and will also add size when he gets to camp and to the Ahl next year. I'm not worried at all about him.

Pardon my anger.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Some of you mother****ers think Addison is gonna jump to the NHL next year and is bland and not impressive are so wrong. Defenseman, you **** wits, take time to develop. Addison likely wouldn't even get a sniff until he went some insane beast mode in the ahl and even then I would say he's a guy you hope for pushing for a spot at 21-22ish yrs old.

POJ is a former 1st and is 20yrs (21 this year) old in his first year in the ahl. He shouldn't be ready for another year or two. Marino is "doing great as a rookie" at ****ing 22yrs old (turns 23 in may).

He's still in juniors and 19 soon to be 20. Dude just had a solid WJC where people didn't even think he belonged and was 2nd for pts for defense in WJC. THAT is the kind of boost that gets a kid motivated af. I don't think this team is in a position to dump a kid like that away when we haven't had a decent one like him since Letang.

POJ is working on adding size. Addison skates ****ing amazingly well and will also add size when he gets to camp and to the Ahl next year. I'm not worried at all about him.

Pardon my anger.

Once again the WHL is a much more impressive league in terms of defense.

POJ didn’t ever make a WJC roster for CAN.

Addison likely isn’t in the NHL next year. But, it isn’t unrealistic for him to have a hot camp and prospect tournament and make a push.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Once again the WHL is a much more impressive league in terms of defense.

POJ didn’t ever make a WJC roster for CAN.

Addison likely isn’t in the NHL next year. But, it isn’t unrealistic for him to have a hot camp and prospect tournament and make a push.
I think he spends a full year in the ahl personally. But I still don't move the kid. He's got a ton of promise and if the Pens develop him right, he will take a ton of pressure off the other pmds and give the Pens another option/weapon there and especially for the transition game. Kid is fantastic at that.

He does need to add size and get better in his end. Hell that last bit, our #1D is having issues with right now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There is really no reason to rush Addison to the NHL, unless he comes in and has a Marino caliber camp. He stunk this year in training camp and is probably too small for the NHL currently, so I'm pretty skeptical that will happen.

I think the plan should be to run with JJ-Riikola as the bottom pair, and eventually plan on Addison taking Riikola's spot as the bottom pair RD. JR tends to not like trading prospects much, he would trade a draft pick almost every time before he trades a prospect, so I think it's pretty unlikely Addison gets moved.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I messed around with CapFriendly's Armchair GM with a cap of $84M for next season. I really just focused on the dollar amount and not the years, but here are the re-signings, signings, and trades:

1. Bjugstad was traded for draft picks
  2. Murray at $6.333m for 6 years ($38m total, just so I'm clear)
  3. McCann at $4m for 4 years
  4. Pettersson at $3.75m for 4 years
  5. Kahun at $3m for 3 years
  6. Jarry at $3m for 3 years
  7. Simon at $1.5m for 2 years
  8. Riikola at $1m for 1 year
  9. Lafferty at $750k for 2 years
  10. Zach Bogosian at $2m for 1 year
  11. Jesper Fast at $3m for 4 years
  12. Casey DeSmith traded for draft picks or once again buried

That leaves a lineup as such, when/if healthy:

Guentzel-Crosby-Fast
Kahun-Malkin-Rust
Simon-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev
Lafferty

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
Johnson-Bogosian
Riikola-Ruhwedel

Murray-Jarry

With those moves and the cap at $84m, that gives the Pens just over $1m in cap space.

Bogosian signs a "prove it" deal which GMJR was seemingly quite fond of when in Carolina. And Jesper Fast seems like a player Sullivan would love. Could be another Dupuis for Crosby.

:popcorn:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
In three years the Pens will have Marino, Petts, Dumo as his age is still good to go. Add in a trade FA signing at the RD and you have 2 or 3 openings to fill. Addison and POJ have the pedigree to contend based on a natural progression physically and more experience. Plus someone will emerge as well from a group of current AHL youngins and D men in the system. But GMJR in all likelihood is gone so who knows who is held in higher regard. AT least Pens are addressing the pipeline while winning at the NHL level. Poulin, Legare, Bjorkqvist, Hallander, all are expected be here in three years as well. So Sid at 35 and Geno at 36 will either be limited or in Geno's case retired. Pens, as the studs age others have to emerge kinda like Boston or Tampa who have done a great job of keeping the franchise winning as stars age or retire.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
I messed around with CapFriendly's Armchair GM with a cap of $84M for next season. I really just focused on the dollar amount and not the years, but here are the re-signings, signings, and trades:

1. Bjugstad was traded for draft picks
  2. Murray at $6.333m for 6 years ($38m total, just so I'm clear)
  3. McCann at $4m for 4 years
  4. Pettersson at $3.75m for 4 years
  5. Kahun at $3m for 3 years
  6. Jarry at $3m for 3 years
  7. Simon at $1.5m for 2 years
  8. Riikola at $1m for 1 year
  9. Lafferty at $750k for 2 years
  10. Zach Bogosian at $2m for 1 year
  11. Jesper Fast at $3m for 4 years
  12. Casey DeSmith traded for draft picks or once again buried

That leaves a lineup as such, when/if healthy:

Guentzel-Crosby-Fast
Kahun-Malkin-Rust
Simon-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev
Lafferty

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
Johnson-Bogosian
Riikola-Ruhwedel

Murray-Jarry

With those moves and the cap at $84m, that gives the Pens just over $1m in cap space.

Bogosian signs a "prove it" deal which GMJR was seemingly quite fond of when in Carolina. And Jesper Fast seems like a player Sullivan would love. Could be another Dupuis for Crosby.

:popcorn:
I can’t believe you didn’t find a way to resign Galchenyuk...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No more fast grinders, the Penguins already have enough speed and defense. Now, if that "speed and defense" also comes with top-6 caliber offense, I'm definitely interested (Saad), but I'm super disinterested in acquiring another Dupuis/Tanev type of player. You're going to become a 1-dimensional team if you just keep adding the same kind of player over and over again.

I think you'll see Galchenyuk swapped for another pending UFA and Bjugstad and draft picks moved for a top-6 winger with term during the season, and a depth RD added in the off-season to push Riikola for the bottom pair spot. That's pretty much about all I expect, I don't expect a goalie trade to happen until the Penguins have to do something with their goalies. I would be surprised if the Penguins had something very different than:

Guentzel/trade-Crosby-Kahun
Trade/Guentzel-Malkin-Rust
Simon-McCann-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev
Lafferty

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Marino
Johnson-Riikola/FA
FA/Riikola-Ruhwedel

Murray-Jarry

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Jarry shows he can play 40+ games and be really good probably makes Murray expendable with the Seattle draft coming. GMJR can't make the mistake of not moving him and losing one of them for zip. Murray after teams didn't consider MAF probably know not to make that mistake as well. Contending teams know a two time cup winner is far more preferable to what they have now. Murray can bring back a good package as how many teams have a two time cup winning goalie who is 25 to trade? Pens have approx 25 million next year to extend Jarry, sign a RH D man, McCaan, Petts and various smaller deals as well. Not signing Murray to that deal frees up 6 million for a top 6 forward.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
Just wanted to offer my 2 cents on Hoffman’s wife...

If you really delve into the situation - it becomes apparent very early on that most of these women are your stereotypical, entitled, petty “housewives of wherever” types - that have nothing better to do than use their shallow opinions to judge each other, create unnecessary drama, and enrich the power struggle of popularity within the circle of team wives and girlfriends.

We’ve seen reality shows on the subject where the atmosphere surrounding players wives is completely toxic. The judging, gossip, drama etc.

While I’m not here to exonerate Hoffman’s wife, I will say that a lot of these “wives and girlfriends” are prone to creating toxicity. The situation in Ottawa seemed to be a fever pitch, and there was more to the story than one players wife up and attacking another players wife out of nowhere.

This kind of crap is, and always has been going on. Some of your favorite players, teams, who were beloved and “pure class” have had turmoil going on behind the scenes due to the group of WAGS. We just happen to find out about Ottawa’s.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riptide and Turin

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I'd like JR to be a bit more pro-active on the D front.
If you're gonna let JS walk(as you should), and one injury(in Dumo) means this is what you get...thats a problem.
They could really use a LD stud defender.
Too bad cuz Scandella was as close to one this season(if you look at his fancy stats) and he just went for pennies.

This "JJ has turned it around" and MP is a future top 4 defender ain't gonna cut the mustard atm if you have Cup aspirations this season and next.
Disagree. Dumoulin - Pettersson - JJ - Riikola is perfectly fine depth down the left side. They want the top 3 there in the lineup, and playing on their dominant side, so it makes no sense to bring in a 4th guy.

Letang - Marino - Ruhwedel is a problem if we let Schultz walk. We need a reliable #5 RHS if Schultz goes. That can be a summer problem though if Schultz comes back and we keep him past the deadline. Ruh is and always was supposed to be the #7, eating nachos until he was needed but not expected to be an everyday player.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Jarry shows he can play 40+ games and be really good probably makes Murray expendable with the Seattle draft coming. GMJR can't make the mistake of not moving him and losing one of them for zip. Murray after teams didn't consider MAF probably know not to make that mistake as well. Contending teams know a two time cup winner is far more preferable to what they have now. Murray can bring back a good package as how many teams have a two time cup winning goalie who is 25 to trade? Pens have approx 25 million next year to extend Jarry, sign a RH D man, McCaan, Petts and various smaller deals as well. Not signing Murray to that deal frees up 6 million for a top 6 forward.

Why is that a mistake?

I'm so tired of people saying that it's losing Murray or Jarry for nothing or trading one of them. No, the comparison is losing Murray or Jarry for nothing or trading Murray or Jarry and losing one of Kahun, Hornqvist or Tanev for nothing. The return you'd have to get back for Jarry or Murray has to outweigh the cost of losing one of Hornqvist, Kahun or Tanev (probably Kahun if I had to guess). I would 100% rather lose an expendable goalie for nothing than trade that goalie for at most a late 1st and lose Kahun.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
For sure he’ll have to get used to playing against stronger opposition and add some muscle but in terms of weight he’s around the same as Marino, Tanev, Pettersson and Kahun.

He’s fast and an elite skater and in this league that can speed up the process of making the NHL if you have the skills and work ethic.

He’s got 10 pounds on Quinn Hughes (same height) who is managing over 21 minutes a night. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Addison get some NHL time next season and a regular the following year.
Don't rush him. Just because Marino made the jump right away doesn't mean everyone can, and Marino had quite a bit more seasoning in college. We rushed Pouliot, Maatta while mentally ready got his body trashed in his first few years in the league, etc. Give him time.

POJ might be a possibility as a callup next year, but until he shows consistency in the A he can't be plan A. Plus hes a LHS.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Just wanted to offer my 2 cents on Hoffman’s wife...

If you really delve into the situation - it becomes apparent very early on that most of these women are your stereotypical, entitled, petty “housewives of wherever” types - that have nothing better to do than use their shallow opinions to judge each other, create unnecessary drama, and enrich the power struggle of popularity within the circle of team wives and girlfriends.

We’ve seen reality shows on the subject where the atmosphere surrounding players wives is completely toxic. The judging, gossip, drama etc.

While I’m not here to exonerate Hoffman’s wife, I will say that a lot of these “wives and girlfriends” are prone to creating toxicity. The situation in Ottawa seemed to be a fever pitch, and there was more to the story than one players wife up and attacking another players wife out of nowhere.

This kind of crap is, and always has been going on. Some of your favorite players, teams, who were beloved and “pure class” have had urmoil going on behind the scenes due to the group of WAGS.

I lost track of things, but what proof did they even have Hofmann’s lady was guilty?

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I think he spends a full year in the ahl personally. But I still don't move the kid. He's got a ton of promise and if the Pens develop him right, he will take a ton of pressure off the other pmds and give the Pens another option/weapon there and especially for the transition game. Kid is fantastic at that.

He does need to add size and get better in his end. Hell that last bit, our #1D is having issues with right now.
Agreed. Addison, if he pans out, is our Letang replacement unit in 2-3 seasons from now. He shouldn't be counted on for a couple years though at least.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
I lost track of things, but what proof did they even have Hofmann’s lady was guilty?

Apparently zero. Hoffman’s offered up their IP addresses etc. Not that you can’t find ways around having your IP associated with ill intended posts... It seemed like the Hoffman’s were completely cooperative in attempts to clear themselves.

Another thing worth noting is that the bulk of the feud started from talk-sports. A forum in which female fans post fan-fic accounts of their rendezvous with players... trash the wives and girlfriends, player X is cheating etc.

You can go to any topic there, at this moment, and find the same melodrama playing out.

Anyway, my point is, there’s probably at least 25 teams in the league right now with this kind of petty non-sense going on with the WAG group. We just happen to find out about Ottawa’s. Maybe not the same level of nastiness, but drama none the less.

I don’t think it’s substantial enough to avoid signing a player who can help your team.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Don't rush him. Just because Marino made the jump right away doesn't mean everyone can, and Marino had quite a bit more seasoning in college. We rushed Pouliot, Maatta while mentally ready got his body trashed in his first few years in the league, etc. Give him time.

POJ might be a possibility as a callup next year, but until he shows consistency in the A he can't be plan A. Plus hes a LHS.

No ones rushing him. He’ll start in the AHL next season and when he’s ready he’s ready.

We didn’t rush Pouliot or Maatta either. Pouliot was just too lazy and Maatta got cancer (which was the biggest effect on his career).

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Apparently zero. Hoffman’s offered up their IP addresses etc. Not that you can’t find ways around having your IP associated with ill intended posts... It seemed like the Hoffman’s were completely cooperative in attempts to clear themselves.

Another thing worth noting is that the bulk of the feud started from talk-sports. A forum in which female fans post fan-fic accounts of their rendezvous with players... trash the wives and girlfriends, player X is cheating etc.

You can go to any topic there, at this moment, and find the same melodrama playing out.

Anyway, my point is, there’s probably at least 25 teams in the league right now with this kind of petty non-sense going on with the WAG group. We just happen to find out about Ottawa’s. Maybe not the same level of nastiness, but drama none the less.

I don’t think it’s substantial enough to avoid signing a player who can help your team.

Ya I remember reading about that site and the owner also confirmed the posts weren’t from the Hoffman’s IP... but like you said that is easy to get around.

Just seems to me that if you completely ruin someone’s rep like that, you better have empirical evidence on your side.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
There is really no reason to rush Addison to the NHL, unless he comes in and has a Marino caliber camp. He stunk this year in training camp and is probably too small for the NHL currently, so I'm pretty skeptical that will happen.

I think the plan should be to run with JJ-Riikola as the bottom pair, and eventually plan on Addison taking Riikola's spot as the bottom pair RD. JR tends to not like trading prospects much, he would trade a draft pick almost every time before he trades a prospect, so I think it's pretty unlikely Addison gets moved.

I'm not sure how reliable Rutherford's trading history here is in this situation though as the sort of move we want him to make - high quality forward, not much outstanding roster players available to use - isn't the sort of move he's made very often here. And when he has, he's usually used a prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad